Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today my wife and I still lean toward doing it on the cheap. Mostly because I guess that's the way we started out. Those were the good and the best times, but today we don't have to do that. No dirty dishes, no cooking. We stop and eat wherever and whenever we choose. In a pinch, we carry a couple of Mountain House dinners and have two JetBoils to heat them up in. Even though we tow a camp trailer we often choose to stay in a nice motel when the notion strikes us. As for the sardines, my wife hates the smell of them. I love'm. Motorcycle camping and touring are to be enjoyed so do what pleases you and the misses the most.

Spyder Garage

I did not read all the reply's, but have you looked into BunkaBiker ? its a worldwide organization and it allows you to really strech your budget. My wife and I are host and we also use it when we are on the road. Host put you up for free and most of us feed you dinner and breakfast when you leave.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Any Tips for reducing road trip costs?

Don't Go!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I did not read all the reply's, but have you looked into BunkaBiker ? its a worldwide organization and it allows you to really strech your budget. My wife and I are host and we also use it when we are on the road. Host put you up for free and most of us feed you dinner and breakfast when you leave.
    I have bicycled across the country twice and there is a similar organization for touring bicyclists, Warm Showers. In addition to being great hosts, I met some of the most fascinating people. For me, that's one of the best things about touring, meeting new people that you probably would never have the opportunity to meet blasting along interstates in a cage.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So, just FYI.... I did my trip. 7 days, 2500 miles -- 8 states, 1 province, 2 countries, many national forests, and zero issues with the bike. Went up into Canada, across a chunk of the TCH and around Lake Huron, back down through Port Huron, and southward toward home.

Canada was great because the exchange rate basically made everything 30% off. but overall my expenses were:

Food: $138
    Fuel: $348.18
    Lodging: 386.57
    Foreign Transaction Fees: $7.82
    ---------------
    Total: $880.60

Based on that, I averaged $125.60 per day, which I'm pretty happy with.

I tried to camp but it wasn't going to work and I gave up after the first night (air mattress wouldn't hold air). So I just found inexpensive hotels that had a continental breakfast, so I only had to buy one meal (dinner) each day. During the day I never really got hungry, I'd just stop every 100 miles to stretch, drink some water, eat a handful of peanuts, and walk around. Occasionally bought a cup of coffee on a break if I was chilly, but waited until I was in my nights hotel to go find a decent dinner somewhere. The scenery in Canada was so fantastic I didn't have time to be hungry.

(Oh, I did try Bunk a Biker for a place to stay after leaving Canada, but every one of them (tried 7) said they weren't available, so I gave up. But I really like that idea and will try it again next time.)
    Last edited by Two2Three; 09-15-2023 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Forgot about BaB.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good comment 223, 'food' for thought and consideration.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you do not go into canada when going around lake michigan

Spyder Garage

True, but since I went around Lake Huron, going into Canada was sort of unavoidable.
    Last edited by Two2Three; 09-15-2023 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Clarity

Spyder Garage

In not super Anal on costings for trips. Ya either go or you dont....
    While I do plan ahead and select non stupid $ cost overnight accommodation, well some areas you have to suck it up.
    It will cost for gas, unavoidable so just fill it up.

Cant think of anything more distracting and trip ruining when out and about, presumably having a great road trip, but riding along beating yourself up about yesterdays costs. What a complete downer.

If costs are the top of the shop, put ya $ in the bank and watch the accruing interest. Stay home and look out the window and reflect in the glow of how many $ you saved today.

Spyder Garage

Many mom and pop motels are much less expensive that the national and regional chains and some are quite nice. I use Google search to find all motels in a certain city and then check prices. Most places that I stay in are under $100 per night.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Maybe I should be a BunkaBiker ..... what do you think ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Maybe I should be a BunkaBiker ..... what do you think ...... Mike
    From what I hear Mike, I think you just might have a never-ending queue of travelers lining up at your place just to eat!

Either that, or a bunch of increasingly fat bikers that you just couldn't get to leave!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Either that, or a bunch of increasingly fat bikers that you just couldn't get to leave!!
    Hey hey hey there now…….easy…….I may resemble that remark.. LMAO…

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

So how cheap do we want to go? Mom and Pop motels outside of congested areas are reasonable, with state campgrounds the cheapest; except out west, where you can throw a fart sack on a side road when you're in the sticks for free. Oh, did you say you also wanted a bathroom? A frozen burrito from a market is pretty cheap. Fuel is what it is.... We only do a granola bar for breakfast or a banana, jerky thru the day, with one meal at night. A subway with a coupon is real cheap. A six pack of beer in the evening for us is a must. I don't stay with people I don't know unless a breakdown happens. The more times you stay on the road, the more tricks you'll learn. In the mid 90's, a buddy and I went to Sturgis, shared a state camp-spot for around $6.00, ate Whoppers twice a day when they were $1.00, a couple of beers in the evening, cost was about $30 a day. Now that's cheap!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-17-2023 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Stay out of cafes and restaurants.
    I prepare food at home which covers breakfast.
    Lunch is a tortilla wrapped around a dry-ish cheese, e.g. mozarella, often with some salami or other sausage that doesn't demand refrigeration.
    Dinner is picked up at a grocery store, usually a small steak or brats, a couple carrots, perhaps a potato if I have a fire (or a tortilla if I don't.)
    I camp most of the time and use equipment from my days climbing and backpacking.
    Easy. Something I enjoy. Cheap. ("Cheap" is my middle name. Not frugal; cheap.)
    YES & NO -within reasonable consideration; have found some AWSOME food stops & help excuses for return trips as well as meeting locals with recommendations along my path. (They come look & ask about spyder & helpful conversation develops) **maybe not as frugal or cheap but has been enjoyable & worth while personally (conversations at gas stops too especially truck stops, proceed at own discretion )**

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Mike, you would be a excellent BunkaBiker Host ! Ellie and I have been Hosting for 3 years and have hosted over 30 times. Some times its riders from a couple day rides away and some world travelers. Check it out on the internet I think it would be a great fit for you.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

This thread has given me a feeling of nostalgia. In my younger days my wife and I would travel by camping, and there was awhile when we traveled (not by motorcycle) with four kids, a dog, and a big tent and went all over Western Europe while on a tight budget. But now its decent motels and decent restaurants, or don't bother going. For those of you who can, enjoy motorcycle travel as long as you still love it. At 80, I love riding my RT but four or five hours a day in the saddle is about all I can do and still feel like I am having fun, and even that is for a one day ride and not day after day.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)