Spyder Garage

Default My headlight plastic is turning white!! Any way to fix this??

Hi friends!

My 2012 RTS headlights are turning white, and it seems to be on the inside.
    Is this from bulb heat only?
    And is there any way to fix it?
    From what I could see the headlights reflector and "glass" are glued together??

It looks like it is above the lens and backwards, so there is no loss in amount of light so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 05:28 PM. Reason: innside; ' 's; + ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

You're sure it's on the inside and sure it isn't moisture?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If it's like all the others that've had this happen - and there were LOTS back in the day, especially here in Oz where it gets hot.... Then:

• It IS on the inside.
    • It IS from the heat radiated by the light globes.
    • The light assembly IS glued together, but even if you can separate them & get them back together again, there's NO real way to fix the hazing that's IN the polycarbonate.
    • The only real fix is replacement.
    • The next thing to happen is often that the 'Chrome bits' under the polycarbonate start to change colour too, ending up as an uneven sorta 'burnt gold'

There was a period waaay back in the day (maybe early 2014/2015?? ) when BRP allowed a 'Goodwill' replacement on them (some were charged for the labour? ) but I don't know if you stand any chance of getting that done now, altho you'll never know unless you ask - so I'd suggest you ask your dealer... dunno about your chances now tho?!

And just by the by, if you leave it too long &/or you ride slow enough in the sun on a hot day for long enough with your High Beams on, like I did for most of a the day at no more than 40kph on the Very Hot 2014 Christmas Toy Run here in Oz, you can actually start to melt the polycarbonate!! (Do you REALLY need to ask me how I know this happens?! )

There are a few forum threads on this around if you search for them, probably mainly back before the end of 2015... Might be worth a bit of a look & spending some time reading...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 06:37 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You're sure it's on the inside and sure it isn't moisture?
    100% certain it is on the inside Ron.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2023 at 03:37 AM. Reason: surtain... ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If it's like all the others that've had this happen - and there were LOTS back in the day, especially here in Oz where it gets hot.... Then:

• It IS on the inside.
    • It IS from the heat radiated by the light globes.
    • The light assembly IS glued together, but even if you can separate them & get them back together again, there's NO real way to fix the hazing that's IN the polycarbonate.
    • The only real fix is replacement.
    • The next thing to happen is often that the 'Chrome bits' under the polycarbonate start to change colour too, ending up as an uneven sorta 'burnt gold'

There was a period waaay back in the day (maybe early 2014/2015?? ) when BRP allowed a 'Goodwill' replacement on them (some were charged for the labour? ) but I don't know if you stand any chance of getting that done now, altho you'll never know unless you ask - so I'd suggest you ask your dealer... dunno about your chances now tho?!

And just by the by, if you leave it too long &/or you ride slow enough in the sun on a hot day for long enough with your High Beams on, like I did for most of a the day at no more than 40kph on the Very Hot 2014 Christmas Toy Run here in Oz, you can actually start to melt the polycarbonate!! (Do you REALLY need to ask me how I know this happens?! )

There are a few forum threads on this around if you search for them, probably mainly back before the end of 2015... Might be worth a bit of a look & spending some time reading...
    Thank you for the feedback, Peter.
    Then my suspicions were not way off. I will ask my dealer when I take the Spyder for a valve adjust on the 14th of September and hear what they say about it.
    When or if I get new ones, I will probably be better off putting in LED bulbs. They do not make that much heat I have been told.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2023 at 03:36 AM. Reason: susptions ... ;-)
    Brgds Martin

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My observation has been that headlight lens universally on almost all vehicles tend to haze. IMO, NHTSA years ago should have mandated all headlight lens be made of glass. Glass presents no hazing problem. Or at the very least they should mandate the use of only specific plastic chemistry that is not inclined to haze.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My observation has been that headlight lens universally on almost all vehicles tend to haze. IMO, NHTSA years ago should have mandated all headlight lens be made of glass. Glass presents no hazing problem. Or at the very least they should mandate the use of only specific plastic chemistry that is not inclined to haze.
    I totaly agree, glass or non hazing plastic at least.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2023 at 03:03 PM. Reason: atleast ;-)
    Brgds Martin