Spyder Garage

Default How I got to ride in this hot southwest summer this year

It's been hotter than heck here is Henderson this year. Sometimes temp reaching 117 degrees on my back porch, in fact, it's been over 110 here for almost 5 weeks this year. I wanted to go riding- but in this heat?

I read that some guy made a cooling shirt by sewing vinyl tubing to a tee shirt about 10-15 years ago. There are people still selling complete systems, not that expensive, but they run all the time and have small ice coolers so at most, they last about an hour.

So I go to ebay, type in Cooling vests, and got some hits, a full shirts and military vests, Bought 1 of each and then bought a 16 qt Colman cooler that fits on the back seat of the Can Am and a aquarium little water pump and some vinyl tubing and a bunch of little plastic fittings and timer. I built up one system and put 10 lbs of ice and 30 oz of water and hooked everything up and went for a ride.

The cooling vest is a working out great! I sat on the trike down at the lake drinking a Pepsi and eating a bag of gorp and it was 118 degrees! Now I find I can ride 4 hours on @15 lbs of ice@ $2.99 a bag.

The disconnect fittings were the hardest to figure out, getting the right size disconnects can run a retired person broke.

Was it worth all the work? Hell yes.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

... DIY'ers Rule..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 12:58 AM. Reason: DIT... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SkipH View Post
    It's been hotter than heck here is Henderson this year. Sometimes temp reaching 117 degrees on my back porch, in fact, it's been over 110 here for almost 5 weeks this year. I wanted to go riding- but in this heat?

I read that some guy made a cooling shirt by sewing vinyl tubing to a tee shirt about 10-15 years ago. There are people still selling complete systems, not that expensive, but they run all the time and have small ice coolers so at most, they last about an hour.

So I go to ebay, type in Cooling vests, and got some hits, a full shirts and military vests, Bought 1 of each and then bought a 16 qt Colman cooler that fits on the back seat of the Can Am and a aquarium little water pump and some vinyl tubing and a bunch of little plastic fittings and timer. I built up one system and put 10 lbs of ice and 30 oz of water and hooked everything up and went for a ride.

The cooling vest is a working out great! I sat on the trike down at the lake drinking a Pepsi and eating a bag of gorp and it was 118 degrees! Now I find I can ride 4 hours on @15 lbs of ice@ $2.99 a bag.

The disconnect fittings were the hardest to figure out, getting the right size disconnects can run a retired person broke.

Was it worth all the work? Hell yes.
    Good job McGiver! I have a "Comp Cooler" brand (www.compcooler.com) of cooling vest that saves me on temps above 90F. It has a cooler on the back seat with an insulated surround; bait well pump; reostat on the dash to control run time/intervals. I find that I'm ready to get off the trike about the same time the ice runs out. When the pump kicks "on", it makes me go "ahhhhhhh"
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I thought the dessert Southwest was perfect for evaporative cooling.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    I thought the dessert Southwest was perfect for evaporative cooling.
    It is. I use one when it gets to 95 or so. But it's comfortable for only an hour and a half +or-. Then it needs to be re-soaked at a pit stop. In my old age, even with a cooling vest, I don't go out when it's above 100. Congrats to Skip for his ingenuity and riding spirit!!!
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi