Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Serious errors P0123, P2135, P284E, P2806. Please help

Spyder battery somehow died. When charged headlights don’t turn off ever. Now fault codes P0123, P2135, P284E, P2806 and in limp mode. Will turn on and off fine. 30 seconds after turning off dash turns off and all lights turn off but headlight. What do these codes mean. I was replacing airbag and was fine before I put up on lift.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2023 at 01:21 AM. Reason: doe ... ;-)

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

After reading a few posts I am getting an E where it says 1. It is allowing me to shift into 1 and R but nothing else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First question: did you disconnect the ACS height sensor before lifting the Spyder to replace the airbag?

Second question: have you reconnected the rear shock?

Third question: is the Spyder sitting on the ground away from the lift?

Four question: have you fully charged (at least overnight) the battery with the negative lead disconnected?

If the answers to those questions aren't all Yes we need to get to Yes before proceeding with diagnosis.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Question 1- yes removed 10mm bottom arm bolt. Need to hold because it freespun inside. That is back on tight
    Question 2- not tightened but bolts are through. Wanted to sit on spyder put into first gear to activate compressor to see if compressor turned on and it has and airbag filled.
    Question 3- spyder is on ground. Never spun the wheel off ground. I have put old battery in and just actually drove it. The there is a loud click as I shift. When I let off the throttle I now hear what sounds like a ziptie or card in the spokes of wheel sound but coming from inside motors. Only when letting off throttle do I hear that sound. After reving a few times it did go into drive and I went through all 6 gears on the road. Thought maybe that would clear it. All plastic is still off though so it does sound louder. No problems shifting but there is a distinct click when shifting. It is saying limp mode but no problem getting up to speed accept when starting into 1st it’s sluggish. Headlight still staying on. E has gone away. Next step disconnect pedal commander maybe.
    Question 4 no but using old battery and it is recording 13.8 when motor off so it’s good. I removed new battery and replaced with old. So not sure how to answer.

I
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-25-2023 at 12:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Looking at some of these codes they pertain to manual SE5 SERIES. mines the 1330 auto. Codes seem to do with throttle, clutch and shifter switch but can’t tell from reading. They are all pre 2013 stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WRT disconnecting the Pedal Commander. Code P0123 points in that direction per service manual:

P0123

ECM

First Throttle Accelerator Sensor (TAS) shorted to battery +

Damaged circuit wires, damaged throttle position sensor or damaged ECM pins.

Make sure sensor connector is fully inserted. Measure resistance from connector: ECMB-K1 to TAS-A (expected value: < 2 ohms). Measure resistance from connector: ECMB-K3 to TAS-B (expected value: < 2 ohms). Measure resistance from connector: ECMB-E1 to TAS-C (expected value: < 2 ohms)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Your problems started here
    Strange thing going on. I have my spyder up on lift. It was working and started just fine 2 days ago. Installed new airbag. Wanted to test everything before I reinstall shock. Turned spyder on to start and it’s dead. Checked connection real quick all good. Checked volts and it’s dead. Must have left something on to kill it.
    What could that something be? I can't think of anything but leaving the ignition on. Did you do that?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Looking at some of these codes they pertain to manual SE5 SERIES. mines the 1330 auto. Codes seem to do with throttle, clutch and shifter switch but can’t tell from reading. They are all pre 2013 stuff.
    Why do you think that? Right out of the BUDS2 database for a 2017...

P0123 - First Throttle Accelerator Sensor shorted to battery +. Damaged wires, ECM pins or damaged TAS sensor.

P2135 - TAS plausibility check error between sensor 1 and 2.

P284E - Unintended upshift detected. Hydraulic pressure without current to the shift solenoid or Linkage problem.

P2806 - GBPS ground wire damaged or open. Damaged wires, ECM pins, sensor or transmission.

Headlights will stay on at all times if the headlamp relay is stuck. I think it's R2 in the RFB. I don't have an exact diagram for a 2017 RT, but one pretty close. Don't know why charging has anything to do with it without being there. How do you hook up? I have no idea if some of these are red herrings caused by the battery situation. But I sure would remove the pedal commander.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-25-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SS -- concur with this
    Headlights will stay on at all times if the headlamp relay is stuck. I think it's R2 in the RFB. I don't have an exact diagram for a 2017 RT, but one pretty close. I have no idea if some of these are red herrings caused by the battery situation. But I sure would remove the pedal commander.
    Yes the headlights will stay on due to stuck relay but the instrument console controls that relay. I think the relay is good but something is broken in the electronic not electric modules. This is deeply troubling
    After reving a few times it did go into drive and I went through all 6 gears on the road.
    which relates to your P284E code description because it points at possible TCM/HCM failure.

Spyder Garage

#1 sorry guys had to go pick up wife and run around a bit. Ok so first thing to do I apologize I Said pedal commander it’s the pedal box. Shouldn’t make a difference both connect at same location so step one disconnect pedal box connection and connect back to original. Remove pedal box all together.

#2 find the headlight relay and pull that. Then reinsert see if it resets.

Will do those and report back.

But what caused all this instantly? My guess is the battery is dead because I didn’t catch that the headlights didn’t turn off and walked out. Lights stay on for 30 seconds or so and I probably just walked out not paying attention. How could that draw down and react with pedal box? Or was it when I tried to start it and it surged?
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-25-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Your problems started here What could that something be? I can't think of anything but leaving the ignition on. Did you do that?
    Could have. My usb power port does have a power plug and might have been turned on. I have it direct wire right now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got some scenarios and none end well.

Lift points are kinda touchy for the Spyder since, like a motorcycle, you have to lift the center backbone. There is the possibility if a jack was used together with some wood spacers, there was contact outside of the backbone if the Spyder was rocked back and forth sideways. On the right is the HCM pressure transducer and on the left is the shift solenoid.

Since the SE6 clutch is pressure engaged, the HCM needs correct pressure measurements which the transducer provides. Damage to the transducer could interfere with measurement accuracy.

The SE6 automatically shifts down as speed slows when braking. If the shift mechanism is misaligned, repeated automatic attempts to downshift may be the source of the buzzing on deceleration.

And embarrassingly I remembered another source of battery drainage with ignition key off -- brake pedal pushed down. Happened to me when I was doing circuit and function testing. When my neighbor knocked on my door at 10pm and asked what was the red glow under the Spyder cover I immediately remembered I had forgotten to remove the brick (literally) from the brake pedal. But I'm thinking this isn't what happened here.

If the USB adapter hasn't caused a problem before it's probably not the cause this time.

Spyder Garage

My wife is pretty sure the headlights were locked on a couple days ago. She thought she saw a glow coming out of the garage 2 nights ago but didn’t really think anything of it. That would have been 4 hours or so after shutting it off, so they would have been dim. So, if solenoid was stuck, which it very well could be, then the headlights killed the battery. I am first going to try to pull it and reinsert and see what happens and then swap and see what happened. Last week, I did do some really good cleaning while the plastic was all off, but I didn’t spray anything directly. Just wipe and clean. I'll start with lights and pedal box first. If it's attached & jump started it’s the 1000 model Noco, I wonder if a surge would have welded pedal box pins?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2023 at 09:30 PM. Reason: sielinoid; dome; serge; ? ;-)

Spyder Garage

This makes NO sense! I pulled the headlight relay. Headlight went out. Cleaned it and inserted and it came on again. Bad relay? So I pulled fog light relay and push it into headlight. Light comes on again. Can't be relay? So I pull the relay, light goes out. Start Spyder, thought let it shut down correctly and might reset. Guess what......all the darn codes gone, all ticking gone, throttle perfect and check engine light gone. The lump error gone. Shut it down and listen for relay to kick off. Dash etc go out and I plug relay back in. Light comes back on. Start Spyder and all errors, ticking, throttle all back! So I remove relay and unplug pedal box and no errors. Throttle Skippy, limp everything gone. Now plug in relay with no pedal box and all the errors back. What the heck is going on. With headlight relay out it shifts perfect up and down, no sound, nothing. Relay in and all errors, bad ticking, bad throttle. How can headlights be messing other systems up?
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-25-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The innate animosity of inanimate objects.

Your next best friends will be a service manual, a small bright LED flashlight and a DVOM.

Spyder Garage

did the airbag pump electrical wires get pinched by anything??
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Double check gremlin bell. Sounds quite annoying indeed, sorry. Thanks for sharing processes

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    This makes NO sense! I pulled the headlight relay. Headlight went out. Cleaned it and inserted and it came on again. Bad relay? So I pulled fog light relay and push it into headlight. Light comes on again. Can't be relay? So I pull the relay, light goes out. Start Spyder, thought let it shut down correctly and might reset. Guess what......all the darn codes gone, all ticking gone, throttle perfect and check engine light gone. The lump error gone. Shut it down and listen for relay to kick off. Dash etc go out and I plug relay back in. Light comes back on. Start Spyder and all errors, ticking, throttle all back! So I remove relay and unplug pedal box and no errors. Throttle Skippy, limp everything gone. Now plug in relay with no pedal box and all the errors back. What the heck is going on. With headlight relay out it shifts perfect up and down, no sound, nothing. Relay in and all errors, bad ticking, bad throttle. How can headlights be messing other systems up?
    I would start by getting to new relays, getting some contact cleaner and a small pick and clean the plugs that the relays go into, put a dab of dielectric grease on the pins and snap the new relays in and see what happens. Relays are cheap and gremlins suck, and you have to start somewhere, because you have gremlins.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would start by getting to new relays, getting some contact cleaner and a small pick and clean the plugs that the relays go into, put a dab of dielectric grease on the pins and snap the new relays in and see what happens. Relays are cheap and gremlins suck, and you have to start somewhere, because you have gremlins.
    After you replace the relays and if it is still there I would start looking at the wires/connections feeding that relay, As I was pointing out in your other thread about this it sounds like you have something either reversed or shorted that is backfeeding into the circuit.

It sounds like you have it narrowed down to the circuit, now to find where the damage/bad connection is at on that circuit. I would start with the wires that have the current that control the relay since the light comes on when the relay is in place means you are getting voltage that is closing that relay. If voltage was coming into the headlights past the relay then they would be on all of the time.

You could also have a short in a piece of equipment that is backfeeding the ground which is causing multiple errors. I would closely inspect around the areas you were working in/on/touched or lifted from for any damage to the wiring or electrical connectors.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 08-26-2023 at 11:09 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Assuming 2017 wiring isn't too far from 2014 the service manual says:

Battery => RFB J4 (Always-On) => LFB R6 (N-C) => RFB R2 (N-O) => Lo Beam

R2 is controlled by ECM (not console like I said above).

So (1) something is telling your ECM the engine is running so it commands R2 closed or (2) R2 is stuck closed or (3) the headlight related wiring is damaged.

I'm going with (1).

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wmoater, I think your trouble comes from left handlebar switch. The main headlight relay is activated by the ground side of the main headlight relay coil being taken to ground by the processor board in the MSL. If the processor board in the MSL has crapped out or been damaged in some fashion or other it's conceivable it would cause all those other errors. The shift signal comes from that board, as does also the cruise control signal from the right handlebar switch cluster. Take the left switch cluster apart an see what you find. It may not be anything more than water or cleaning agent got onto it when you cleaned everything.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-26-2023 at 11:53 AM. Reason: I goofed! It's the CC signal from MSR, not throttle!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

R2 is controlled by ECM (not console like I said above).
    By way of the MSL processor board, not by direct connection to the ECM.

Actually, to be more accurate the relay is controlled by the MSL board which is controlled by CAN Bus signals from the ECM.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-26-2023 at 11:14 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based on what Idaho described my 2014 wiring is apparently different from the 2017 so ignore my circuit description.

Spyder Garage

Based on what Idaho described my 2014 wiring is apparently different from the 2017 so ignore my circuit description.
    Interesting! I'm also looking at the 2014 RT wiring diagram!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

My bad. It's the CC signal from the MSR that comes to the MSL, not the throttle signal.

2014 Copper RTS