Spyder Garage

Default Will RonBar help with Drifting on Secondary Roads with Crowns?

My '22 RT tracks exceptionally well on good roads but on secondary roads, which are old with some crowning and unevenness, it seems to wander about more than my previous F3T which had the RonBar. Not bad, but just wondering if a Bar will help?

PS: I know this subject has been covered a lot but my searching didn't turn up anything useful. So don't honk on me for not trying.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Based on my RT experience:
    1. BajaRon Swaybar and/or front shocks. Both if possible.
    2. Replace Kenda tires with auto tires.
    3. Laser alignment.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    My '22 RT tracks exceptionally well on good roads but on secondary roads, which are old with some crowning and unevenness, it seems to wander about more than my previous F3T which had the RonBar. Not bad, but just wondering if a Bar will help?

PS: I know this subject has been covered a lot but my searching didn't turn up anything useful. So don't honk on me for not trying.
    From your description, the short answer is NO.
    The RonBar is exceptionally helpful around turns.
    The drifting due to crowning and uneveness may be due to air pressure, or alignment. If the alignment was bad, it wouldn't track on good roads as you've describes..
    If the air pressure is too high, especially with the crappy Kenda tires, the contact patch of the tire rounds out like a balloon.
    Basically, the bike sits up on the balls of it's feet. This makes the Spyder very responsive on good roads, but also very twitchy on bad roads like you're describing.
    Most people settle on air pressure between 17 and 21 PSIG. Some experimentation on your part will help you dial in the best pressure for you.
    Oh, before I forget, the other important factor is that the air pressure in the front tires should match. A mis-match of as little as 1 PSIG can cause handling problems like you describe.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    LOVE IT! LOL .............. will try some diff pressures to see if that helps. Running 16psi in both (I think) but need to check. I normally do keep eye on pressures, but often let time slip by.

Thanks all for the feedback.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-23-2023 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The drifting due to crowning and uneveness may be due to air pressure, or alignment. If the alignment was bad, it wouldn't track on good roads as you've describes..
    If the air pressure is too high, especially with the crappy Kenda tires, the contact patch of the tire rounds out like a balloon.
    Basically, the bike sits up on the balls of it's feet. This makes the Spyder very responsive on good roads, but also very twitchy on bad roads like you're describing.
    Most people settle on air pressure between 17 and 21 PSIG. Some experimentation on your part will help you dial in the best pressure for you.
    Oh, before I forget, the other important factor is that the air pressure in the front tires should match. A mis-match of as little as 1 PSIG can cause handling problems like you describe.

.... tires do best on smooth even surfaces ..... If that surface deteriates so will the performance of the tire..... IMHO, I wouldn't be overly concerned about " How to fix this ". .... It's not worth your time and effort. ... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

My thoughts on this is a spyder has three contact different surface points all feeding responses back to the rider(s). Not going to ride/feel like a motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

I've run into this on the uneven back roads here in Michigan. Due to frost heave and such, the right side of the road will often dip down a few inches for a bit, then come back up.

After some time, I figured out how to combat the spyder from wanting to dive in the direction of the dip:
    1) No death grip on the handlebars
    2) Keep my torso vertical through the dip to whichever side (stay loose at your waist)

Keeping my torso vertical, and not leaning with the trike, allows me to auto-adjust the steering to counter the lean just enough. 'Tis in no way a cure-all, but this is the only way I could keep some bit of speed on these wonky back roads.

-Chuck
    2022 F3-S Special , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

I went through the same thing. We ride a lot of roads like the ones you describe and some of the dips are awful. The top of the bike would lean uncomfortably, especially if those dips are encountered in a curve. I noticed a big difference with the Ultimate BajaRon bar. The bar noticeably reduces the body lean on these types of roads.

Keep your hands loose on the grips and your body flexible in the saddle. Use the handlebars as "suggestions", the bike will take care of the rest.

It took me a while to change my two-wheel habits, but eventually I loosened up and now don't feel the effect as much.
    Last edited by newdave; 08-24-2023 at 07:33 AM. Reason: corrected tense
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

My '21 RT did the same thing! Made the switch to Vredestein tires and am amazed at the difference this alone made in all types of roads!

Spyder Garage

Hey, whatever happened?
    Did you get things straightened out ?
    PUN INTENDED
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Threewheels; I've not come to any decision yet. I plan on going to Maggie Valley Rally in Oct and if they are being installed there, I might have one put on just for heck of it. Either it helps or it doesn't.

Appreciate all the replies from everyone.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2023 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Valralley... ; replys ; :-/

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Threewheels; I've not come to any decision yet. I plan on going to Maggie Valley Rally in Oct and if they are being installed there, I might have one put on just for heck of it. Either it helps or it doesn't.

Appreciate all the replies from everyone.
    I think that you'll be pleased with it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have to disagree with ThreeWheels. The BajaRon (anti) sway bar helped my handling in all situations. It is not a miracle bar, but damn close!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I was told by a wise old Spyder rider that the Spyder likes to “hunt” on the road to find its sweet spot. Let it hunt. Wise words from BajaRon. Keep your grip relaxed on the handlebars and enjoy the ride
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

Just installed the BajaRon sway bar, replacing the plastic OEM linkage was worth it for the safety upgrade.

Handling is noticeably better. Next comes the alignment in November, then new tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GORP View Post
    My '21 RT did the same thing! Made the switch to Vredestein tires and am amazed at the difference this alone made in all types of roads!
    Love those Vredsteins! Had them on my 15 and wow what a difference. Soon they’ll be on the new to me 21!