Spyder Garage

Default What's the Best camera choice for 2019 RTL and 2023 S2S; & mount point?

As title is asking, plus the best choice place for mounting them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Dash cam or action camera style?
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Not sure

Let's go with action cam first
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Not sure

Let's go with action cam first
    bump for more replies for camera types and mounting locations....watcha using and where is it mounted and with what mount...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use GoPro and Insta360. I mount to the helmet chin (chin mounts) and to the top of the dash. I also use GoPro’s new boom mount. I use the GoPro 11 Mini on the helmet chin. The GoPro Max is a 360 and can be used as a normal or 360. The Insta360 do the same and are fun to use for all kinds of recording. They have the new Go 3 which is tiny and can be used for just about anything. Rever tracking/Nav app can be used to control a GoPro so you can ride and don’t have to remember to start/drip recording.

IMG_3632.jpg IMG_1668.jpg

https://youtu.be/5izSqSxQgXg?si=FHlpEqgAizdX4ETA
    https://youtu.be/TjMCXhLYXCs?si=qIM5vLMn-TzO9Axd
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I mount my GoPro on the Left mirror. Smooth videos and no obstruction of my view. IMG_5081 (2).jpg P2130029 (2).jpg P2130025 (2).jpg
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I use a Sena 10C Pro on my daily commute. If I were to buy another camera, it would likely be the 50C model so I can get Sena Mesh capability (my riding group all use Senas). I don't know yet if I'll use a camera on longer rides but if I do, I'll likely go with a GoPro mounted using a RAM mount (attached to my Lamonster top cuff).

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm somewhat of a contrarian, but my idea of the best camera is none. I used a GoPro for a few trips several years ago. My negativism toward them stems from a few factors. First, miles and miles, and minutes of minutes, of video looking down the road in front of the vehicle gets to be boring to watch pretty quickly. IMO, you need to be able to pan the camera while traveling. After all, most of the good scenery is to the sides of the road. Distilling hours of video to a few enthralling minutes takes an awful lot of time and powerful editing software. If you are up to that, more power to you.

I know there are those who disagree with me, and have good reason to do so. But just be aware of what you are getting into. It ain't a cakewalk. It's a lot more than turning on your camera for a few minutes or hours and then uploading the recorded video.

Now, if all you want is to document your travel for evidence after an accident then that is a whole 'nuther story.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I agree with # 6, Left mirror. It's as vibration free as I've found. Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 3.51.46 PM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george123; 08-28-2023 at 04:00 PM. Reason: rotate picture

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't have one mounted, but I'm thinking of adding an Insta 360 or comparable camera. I don't know the best location to mount, but being that it captures 360 degrees, that should help with decision making. They seem cool. I'm waiting to catch a good deal on 1.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Good info, thanks to all who posted up....On the fence about which way to go.

BTW i do use a Sena 50S headset. No issues getting the directions from Google Maps on my Samsung Note 20 5G sent to the helmet earphones. Phone is plugged into the USB in the tiny glove box ... and it does maintain charge and even add a little bit charge on a ride....This on the 2023 S2S...YMMV
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 08-31-2023 at 09:20 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Good info, thanks to all who posted up....On the fence about which way to go.

BTW i do use a Sena 50S headset. No issues getting the directions from Google Maps on my Samsung Note 20 5G sent to the helmet earphones. Phone is plugged into the USB in the tiny glove pox ... This on the 2023 S2S...YMMV

Just make sure you don’t shut the Google maps off when you’re not in cell range. Google maps and Waze don’t work so well without cell service.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    I don't have one mounted, but I'm thinking of adding an Insta 360 or comparable camera. I don't know the best location to mount, but being that it captures 360 degrees, that should help with decision making. They seem cool. I'm waiting to catch a good deal on 1.
    I went with the Insta360 RS One twin edition b/c it records 360 degree views. Editing ability via desktop or app (don't really care to be forced to use an app and give access to location and other phone features, but whatever) allows for some nice creative shots/vids and it eliminates part of the complaint from post #8.

They have a pretty good bundle on sale now.

I scored an additional free battery by using an affiliate link to purchase mine. I'm not sure if we're supposed to post affiliate links or not. So, I'll just a the youtube review that provides the affiliate link. I don't know the guy, but a free battery is a free battery.

Insta360 has several cameras that seem to be able to give you what you're looking for.

Additionally, at least one of the members here has 1 and he posted links to the video he's captured using the camera.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...light=insta360

link to review with affiliate link for free extra battery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxdNlRQ2Z3M
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2023 at 08:23 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Aww thanks for the mention! ☺
    "Friend to those who have no friends. Enemy to those who need no enemies. Headache to those who have no aspirin."~ The Phantom Texter
    2019 F3 s , Neutrino Aurora Accessory Fuse Block Blue

Spyder Garage
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bad link.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Bad link.
    Yep, we need the full link from the Browser Address Bar, not the shortened version or anything copied from another post or quote...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yep, we need the full link from the Browser Address Bar, not the shortened version or anything copied from another post or quote...
    hmmm....well, that changes things.

maybe this will work:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyUxaGLO2M-/
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

hmmm....well, that changes things.

maybe this will work:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyUxaGLO2M-/
    Sure does!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are mine - I like mine to be visible to other drivers - provides some deterrent (could be placebo )

17RTL Front.jpg 17RTL Rear.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Spaced attach display to ease viewing... ;-)
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White