Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Recommend any Southern Ca Repair Shops who'll work on V-Twins?

I live in Torrance, Ca part of Los Angeles County. I tried to take my 2010 RT manual to the dealer where I purchased it for some repair work and they said they don't work on bikes older than 10 years. I called a couple of other dealers and got the same response. I am looking for someone who works on Spyders in the Los Angeles area. I have several things going on. First after riding for about 30 minutes it would get difficult to shift gears. When I parked it was almost impossible to shift into neutral. If I turned the Spyder off I could shift into neutral easily. So originally I was just going to go in for a flush of the clutch fluid. Now when I get the bike into neutral I have an E displayed in the gear screen. A couple of days ago I started up the bike and in addition to all that the check engine indication is on the display it is flashing between R and N. Any leads to local repair shops would be greatly appreciated. You can send me a PM with any recommendations if you don't want to post here

Thanks,

Walter
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-18-2023 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question; & removed personal ID info per identity theft minimisation! . ;-)

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a gear position sensor issue. Could be other issues, but I would start there. Surely, the dealer could put your bike on BUDS to give you a direction to go in.

We work on older machines. But not going to do much good. I think planned obsolescence is a nasty way to force new sales. But it is what it is.

Wish you luck.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Walter. So, you have a 2010 RT MANUAL transmission. Yeah, I think that your diagnosis about clutch fluid is spot on. And in addition, some folks have reported needing to replace some O-rings in the clutch cylinder as well. The gear position sensor on the manual doesn’t impact shifting, but yours is acting up for some reason. And it could just be that the shift drum is in an ambiguous position because of your clutch and shifting issue. So, I would take care of the clutch issue first, then see if the gear position sensor behaves.

I’m going to email you a link with some more info. Any competent motorcycle shop could bleed your clutch fluid for you. Unfortunately, if your gear position sensor needs replaced, you may need a reset that can only be done with the dealer’s BUDS software. Sometimes, you can get away without doing it. Fingers crossed you won’t need that. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238