Spyder Garage

Default Need help / advice. Buying a Spyder out of town (3000 miles away) with lien.

I’m in search of a Spyder RTL or StS, found one that I like it but it is located 3000 miles away with lien.
    So, thinking on flying there and drive it back or shipped, I think shipping will be the best way because I have’t enough time to drive it back,
    Any advice on what company (reliable) I can use to ship it,
    Also, how I would handle the tittle/Lin/transfer process
    Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Beware of the "lien" aspect. Someone else owns interest in the title. it may have been put up as collateral for something. Lienholders are NOT eager to release until they get what is owed them. You may run into issues with licensing it without a "clear" title.

IMO...three thousand miles away and a lien on the title...RUN FORREST RUN.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a clear tittle in your hand don't bother, it's a PITA to register if you don't, that being said maybe it's different for your state. Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Big gamble Lien & unknown condition at extended distance, each their own would shop some more. Haul bikes has been Positive mentioned here before.
    https://haulbikes.com/?gclid=CjwKCAj...RoCm48QAvD_BwE

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by speeed View Post
    I’m in search of a Spyder RTL or StS, found one that I like it but it is located 3000 miles away with lien.
    So, thinking on flying there and drive it back or shipped, I think shipping will be the best way because I have’t enough time to drive it back,
    Thanks in advance
    DO NOT buy a Spyder with a lien or anything else for that matter you are sure to get burned.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    DO NOT buy a Spyder with a lien or anything else for that matter you are sure to get burned.
    VERY GOOD advice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    VERY GOOD advice!
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here.
    The best way to buy an out of state Spyder with a lien on it is to AVOID it at all costs.
    I bought my Spyder brand new from a dealer in another state (I live on the border) and it was still a PITA.
    They couldn't provide a registration or a title.
    I had to take the Certificate Of Origin to my local DMV and pay taxes and registration fees.
    THEN I got the title and registration.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Speed, where is the ride located?
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Speed, where is the ride located?
    Boise, ID

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with the others about the LEIN thing .... do a comparison using IMotorsports (a vendor here) maybe they have something that fits your needs/desires ..... they are very very reputable, will ship it to you for FREE and they price the used Spyders/Rykers fairly ..... check them out ... Mike I just looked - they have three STS's, one at $ 7199 ... also a couple of older RT's .... good luck .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2023 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 spyder rts se6 7800 miles for sale along with trailer and only 2120 miles away….lol recently did service and recalls.
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 08-12-2023 at 09:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you have a good relationship with your financial institution, they may help. But then again maybe not. I purchased a car that still had a lien. I knew someone at my credit union that I asked to work out the lien for me with the other bank. In my case he was a great help and if the two financial institutions can work it out, it may be a reasonably smooth transaction. You may need to finance it at your local bank to get them interested in helping take care of the lien and complete the transaction. If they can't get involved on your behalf or at least advise you, ... well ... I would be extremely nervous about moving forward with this transaction on my own.

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance

Speed,

I am jumping on the wagon too! Do not buy the spyder with a lien on it.

Keep looking.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here.
    The best way to buy an out of state Spyder with a lien on it is to AVOID it at all costs.
    I bought my Spyder brand new from a dealer in another state (I live on the border) and it was still a PITA.
    They couldn't provide a registration or a title.
    I had to take the Certificate Of Origin to my local DMV and pay taxes and registration fees.
    THEN I got the title and registration.
    That was sort of what happen to me, went to a dealership that had my bike on consignment, the couple that was selling it was out of the country on vacation, but they had the ok to sell, I came along and dropped a price at them, they took it! I went in and did the paperwork and payed for the bike, they gave me a temp plate and off I go! Well come time to get a real plate and I need a title, I didn't realize I didn't have it, called the dealer, they told me the owner had died while aboard, OMG, I told the dealer give me another paper plate, until the wife gets home and gets things straight!!! They did and I did get my paperwork and took legal ownership of it.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance
    NO. Just NO. All you're doing is buying yourself a pound of trouble.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

NO! YOU NEED THE BILL OF SALE IN YOUR HAND WHEN YOU GIVE THEM THE MONEY FOR THE BIKE.
    I bought my 2021RT out of state (1000 miles away) , the owner had the bill of sale, (and lent me the plates to drive it home) the DMV wanted the paperwork I filled out with the owner for the price and information of the bike .

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As most have said, buying a vehicle with a lien on the title can be tricky. But saying that, I have done so. The only way was to be able to go to the bank with the seller and have all the paperwork filled out there and having a bill of sale and everything showing that the title and bike were to be turned over to me at the time of payment. Buying from 3000 miles away is another can of worms. I have had 2 bikes shipped. My 2014 was shipped from a dealership in Texas. They did the sale and connected me to an independent shipper that I paid to take care of things ($850). The other was from Imotorsports and it was a flawless transaction.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If you’re buying a bike from a private party, they need to show you a title, verifying they are the legal owner of the vehicle. A bill of sale doesn’t prove squat. It doesn’t prove the person who sold you the bike is in a legal position to do so. It doesn’t even prove how much you paid for it. You could pay me $8,000 for my bike, but being the nice guy I am I give you a bill of sale saying you paid me $500.00 to save you some cash on taxes.

I don’t know about other states, but in Washington a registration shows both the registered and legal owner. If a bank or other financial organization holds the title, they are identified as the legal owner and you as the registered owner. However, even if the seller shows as both the registered and legal owner, a vehicle registration does not serve the legal purpose of a transfer of ownership.

If it were me, and the registration shows a bank as holding the title, before I passed any money to the seller, we would both be making a trip to that banks local branch. If the seller balked at that suggestion, I’d be walking away. And if I were buying from a private seller, even if they had a title, I’d be asking for proof the seller is the same person listed on the title. Because if that vehicle turns out to be stolen and the real legal owner is identified, guess who gets the vehicle? Here’s a clue, it’s not you.

And finally, if more then one person is listed on title, all those others get to attend my buying party. Because if only one of those parties sign the transfer, the other can come back claiming they never agreed to the sale. Now you’ll find yourself in a legal quagmire.

So in closing, No Title, No Sale.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I've personally sold two motorcycles that I still had loans on (private buyers, not trade-ins). In both instances, I put the potential buyers in touch directly with the lender and let them work out the details for wiring the pay-off directly to the lender (I was selling them for the pay-off amount, nothing extra). Both sales went smoothly and the buyers received their titles directly from the DMV (California). No cash was exchanged with me.

To be fair, both buyers were able to physically come to my home to inspect the bikes before completing the transaction and they were able to pick the bikes up personally as well. One buyer was from one city over and the other buyer was from the other side of the state.

There's always a degree of risk when buying & selling vehicles privately but sometimes you just have to be willing to trust your gut. If it feels wrong it probably is. I almost sold my last two bikes (paid off) via consignment at the dealer I bought them from but I received enough interest in them to make it worthwhile handling the sale myself (higher sale price on both).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

gkamer and BigPoppa are correct: if the Spyder has a lien (even if it's just a mechanics lien) against it, then you must execute the transfer of ownership with the lienholder not the seller. If you are a member of a credit union, then you are lucky because they are really helpful for this sort of thing.

And buying from a member on this forum is more likely to be trouble-free than "in the wild."
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post

And buying from a member on this forum is more likely to be trouble-free than "in the wild."
    Bert, would you mind if I added long term member to your statement. May not include someone that has 3 post history. ;-)
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you compromise with medium term?

If a potential buyer on this forum asked about a short-term (or any term) seller's Spyder, members would jump in to help.

I agree with your excellent point.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike