Spyder Garage

Default Latest addons to my trailer

After using the trailer I built last winter and using it this summer to see what improvements I wanted for our ride to Fairbanks and the Artic Circle next summer, I decided to add a water tank and faucet. Since I have a battery bank for My wife's Cpap it was easy to add a 12volt RV pump. The tank eliminates the 5 gallon water jug we have been using and I installed the 7 gallon tank in the rear underneath the bottom. All that's left is to replace the AGM batteries with Lithium to reduce the weight. For those that are going to ask about the weight, its 350 pounds fully loaded. I have about 5,000 miles on it now and we have had zero issues. For faster charging we have a second solar panel we carry in the Leesure Lite that she pulls.

IMG_3461.jpg IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3930.jpg IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg IMG_3165.jpg IMG_3172.jpg IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg IMG_3177.jpg IMG_3182.jpg IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3306.jpg IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2024 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Man, that is one sweet setup. Very well thought out. Have fun at the Arctic Circle, and enjoy the ride!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

You should be proud of that build! Sounds like you are enjoying some amazing travel adventures.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Very nice!! I like the set up and a home built at that!

Question, though. We pull a little tag-a-long for our trips, trailer has been with us through multiple bikes. The Spyder beats the heck out of everything we carry in it - because of the un-sprung hitch. How does your cargo hold up with that beating it takes? (We thought we packed everything soundly, but still wound up losing a bottle of wine on the return trip from PA last year.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2024 at 06:31 PM. Reason: forour ... ;-)
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Kudos to your build ingenuity, love the use of existing RV door/hatches and hardware. Are you travelling with the water tank empty and filling up before stopping for camping or carrying the water tank full while traveling?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2024 at 06:31 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I am building a new trailer now, but certainly not anything like your mobile motel and diner. That is a heavy duty project. I am just building a small trailer to haul the wheelchair, and maybe a few bags of livestock feed or groceries. You got some great ideas and put them to good use.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

What a great build!!!
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster72 View Post
    Very nice!! I like the set up and a home built at that!

Question, though. We pull a little tag-a-long for our trips, trailer has been with us through multiple bikes. The Spyder beats the heck out of everything we carry in it - because of the un-sprung hitch. How does your cargo hold up with that beating it takes? (We thought we packed everything soundly, but still wound up losing a bottle of wine on the return trip from PA last year.)
    I will be changing my tongue out on the trailer to the one that I seen on a modified 622.
    IMG_1959.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Kudos to your build ingenuity, love the use of existing RV door/hatches and hardware. Are you travelling with the water tank empty and filling up before stopping for camping or carrying the water tank full while traveling?
    We run it full all the time if we have a water source nearby .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I will be changing my tongue out on the trailer to the one that I seen on a modified 622.
    IMG_1959.jpg
    Is that a commercial unit or a homebuilt?
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I believe it was built by a fab shop . It is on a 622 trailer owned by Robert Ferguson ( Two Years on Two Spyders) he also has one on his Leesure Lite pop up trailer.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I believe it was built by a fab shop . It is on a 622 trailer owned by Robert Ferguson ( Two Years on Two Spyders) he also has one on his Leesure Lite pop up trailer.
    Looks like they knew what they were doing. Would love to add something similar to my Time Out Camper. I think there were some past discussion of a similar project here on Spyerlovers a few years back, will have to research. Thanks
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I applaud your ingenuity and building skills. If you haven't as yet, patent it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-11-2024 at 07:59 PM.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    This has been a planned upgrade to our RT622 trailer for a while now. I did spend some time mocking up things, but have yet to build it.
    Decided that for ours to prevent loosening or wear issues of the drilled holes for mounting plates and especially the pivot things would be done slightly different. Mounting plates will be welded and pivot will be done with either a bushing and sleeve, or more likely pivot on ball bearings.

In my years of rebuilding high performance suspension units, I have a decent stash of mtb shocks. Was considering using the shock in a similar way and location, just had a difficult time accepting how it looked and interferes with stepping over the trailer tongue and accessing the rear trunk on the RTS.

The other concern could be, if the shock were moved aft, and located into the drop portion of the tongue, there becomes a clearance issue for the RT622 front lid.

All that said, I am fairly confident when modified, our RT622 trailers tongue will use a low profile design to mount the shock, and more than likely will be an entire new tongue drawbar. Good chance also I may not use a shock, but keep it simpler with easy to replace low cost, elastomers. As reliable as a quality mtb shock is, a failed seal and loosing all damping would make for a very springy trailer setup.

Just thoughts, there kind of is no true wrong or right answer for this.