Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Survey : who has had the newest (recall) front sprocket fail?

How many ( if any ) folks have the newest front sprocket and have had it FAIL .... if so how long did it last ???? .... Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    How many ( if any ) folks have the newest front sprocket and have had it FAIL .... if so how long did it last ???? .... Thanks .... Mike
    You’re going to have to be a bit careful with these results, Mike. There are a number of riders who believe (often after being told by their dealer) that the white sprocket, or a replacement sprocket of the old type, with loctite, is the “newest” (and recall fix) sprocket.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

a fail to get one yet
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Rome was not built in one day!! The pizza isn't cooked yet.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Askitee reported here that his had failed, thats the only one I know of so far. Perhaps members planning a trip to the dealers could ask.Shawn Smoak used to be a good source of info but hasn't posted for a year since his stroke. I have very little faith in the procedure for repair being followed correctly so expect this to be an ongoing problem and won't that be a nice little earner for BRP.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You’re going to have to be a bit careful with these results, Mike. There are a number of riders who believe (often after being told by their dealer) that the white sprocket, or a replacement sprocket of the old type, with loctite, is the “newest” (and recall fix) sprocket.

Pete
    I posted this question for ALL the folks who need to get theirs replaced because of RED DUST etc. .... I don't / won't have this issue because my 2014 ( early RT ) doesn't have the problem ( # 77,000 mi. no red dust ).... if the info isn't accurate the answers will be skeptical ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

A friend had his front sprocket replaced with the newest version (stainless steel in color) a few months ago on his 2018 F3L under extended warranty. Mentioned to me the next day right after being done that the bike seemed different. Well on a ryde a few weeks ago the shaft from the trans had sheared off with the sprocket still attached lying on its side. At a dealership at the moment waiting for BRP's decision to repair or replace the tranny. Wondering if the torque was too much initially from the beginning. HMMMM. Thankfully the extended warranty is still good.

Spyder Garage

I would have to say it was a faulty shaft. You never know how well steel is made unless you do a whole lot of testing before manufacturing, and then it does not take a very big flaw some time to have a break. To long in the oven on a heat treated part will make things brittle.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juscuz View Post
    A friend had his front sprocket replaced with the newest version (stainless steel in color) a few months ago on his 2018 F3L under extended warranty. Mentioned to me the next day right after being done that the bike seemed different. Well on a ryde a few weeks ago the shaft from the trans had sheared off with the sprocket still attached lying on its side. At a dealership at the moment waiting for BRP's decision to repair or replace the tranny. Wondering if the torque was too much initially from the beginning. HMMMM. Thankfully the extended warranty is still good.
    I have heard about at least 3 2018's with sheared main shafts. It was faulty heat treating and BRP replaced under warranty.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juscuz View Post
    JUSCUZ, The SPROCKET RECALL has nothing to do with any extended warranty coverage.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

askitee

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    HEY ASKITEE, I think you could clear this up in your mind and ours by posting all of the part numbers off of your dealers paperwork.
    Your making claims for sprocket repair 4 times is unheard of and confusing.

I have posted the correct sprocket numbers in an above post and below for the sprocket recall.

COPY OF RECALL SERVICE BULLETIN, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V352-1338.pdf

T.P.
    I don't have the paperwork. I know the 2nd last sprocket replaced was the recall version, the one prior was the white one, and was told by the dealer the sprocket was done again this visit.

While ASKITEE posted this about his sprocket recall work, He has no paperwork from his dealer to prove what was done.
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 08-12-2023 at 09:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Askitee reported here that his had failed, thats the only one I know of so far. Perhaps members planning a trip to the dealers could ask.Shawn Smoak used to be a good source of info but hasn't posted for a year since his stroke. I have very little faith in the procedure for repair being followed correctly so expect this to be an ongoing problem and won't that be a nice little earner for BRP.
    Bingo! Loctite specifically states that the product used needs to sit for a minimum of 24 hours after install. But this is not being followed. Some customers ride away on their 'Fixed' sprocket within minutes of the job being done. We shall see how critical Loctite's specs turn out to be with this.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Bingo! Loctite specifically states that the product used needs to sit for a minimum of 24 hours after install. But this is not being followed. Some customers ride away on their 'Fixed' sprocket within minutes of the job being done. We shall see how critical Loctite's specs turn out to be with this.
    Yep, yep, yep, Ron…….what a minefield…….and if/when Spyders start having issues with sprockets failing, I wonder how many riders will recall the issue with Loctite not being allowed to cure by some dealers. …… and BRP will blame the dealers, and the dealers will blame BRP, and guess who’ll be caught in the middle……AGAIN

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 08-07-2023 at 04:12 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yep, yep, yep, Ron…….what a minefield…….and if/when Spyders start having issues with sprockets failing, I wonder how many riders will recall the issue with Loctite not being allowed to cure by some dealers. …… and BRP will blame the dealers, and the dealers will blame BRP, and guess who’ll be caught in the middle……AGAIN

Pete

Pete
    HEY PETE, You and Peter both got a copy of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V352-1338.pdf and you both saw that there was no cure time listed
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

Just had mine replaced a week ago; so far it's running smoothly. Had no problem from the original but figured why take a chance!

Take care, 311tomcat

Spyder Garage

HEY PETE, You and Peter both got a copy of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V352-1338.pdf and you both saw that there was no cure time listed
    T.P.
    Yes, no cure times per se on that particular document, but it does say to use a particular Loctite, and the Loctite instructions include cure times, T.P. If the dealers have not read the Loctite “application instructions”, then that is negligence on their part, but I’m sure they will try to blame BRP for their own incompetence. Much angst will follow, with US caught in the middle.

Would you use a glue-like product without reading the manufacturers guidelines? I bet you wouldn’t, and neither would most here. But there have already been instances of dealers effecting the recall, either ignoring, or not reading, those guidelines

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

T.P.
    And do you think the US Gov't. couldn't possibly have SCREWED this up ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

T.P.
    No what size socket to use on the sprocket screw and to use an appropriate cleaner on the shaft splines also. This is the most basic of stuff to any one that claims to be a mechanic if you need to have it spelt out that 603 takes 24hrs to set that the wrong size socket will wreck a bolt head and wiping down a surface with monkey spit will do for preparing a surface you need to reevaluate your career choice.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am one of those. I am now on my 2nd V3.x sprocket
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I am getting it done on 2015 F3 Thursday at 25,000 miles and do to lowering my tension to 145 Cricket 3 years ago I am still OK but told my dealer I will pick it up the day after so it cures at least 20-24 hours. They indicated they were letting them go the same day they are in stalled BUT I told them I didn't wait 3 years to not do it right.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember when I changed the tire that I just raised the swing arm and the belt peeled off pretty easy so they shouldn't have to mess with any tension changes?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I am getting it done on 2015 F3 Thursday at 25,000 miles and do to lowering my tension to 145 Cricket 3 years ago I am still OK but told my dealer I will pick it up the day after so it cures at least 20-24 hours. They indicated they were letting them go the same day they are in stalled BUT I told them I didn't wait 3 years to not do it right.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember when I changed the tire that I just raised the swing arm and the belt peeled off pretty easy so they shouldn't have to mess with any tension changes?
    Sarge, you might be out of luck there. The BRP recall instructions tell the wrench to remove belt tension as per “belt adjustment” in the BRP manual, and after install, to set belt alignment and belt tension as per the “belt adjustment” section in the BRP manual. A couple of other riders have said they asked their dealer to set the tension to 140, but they refused, as the Spyder has to leave the dealer set to the mandated, much higher, tension shown in the manual.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

When I Took my wife '19 F3L in for the last an finale sprocket fix. I ask them if it needs to sit over night for loctite to cure. Nope they said. Takes about an hour to change sprocket an your ready to go. No need to let it sit an cure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If one reads the data for Loctite 648, the cure is dependent on material (in this case steel), gap between fitted parts, and temperature. 50% cure strength is achieved in 1 hour @ 22C (72F) with a gap of 0.05mm (0.002"), with 90% strength @ 24 hours. [https://docs.rs-online.com/5d25/0900766b800b9992.pdf]. If the shaft was worn, creating a larger gap (0.25mm/0.010"), the material will only achieve 65-70% of design strength.

Of the 3 F3 models we had done at our local dealer, all came back with the lower range belt tension and 2 of the 3 had the belt properly aligned. One failed at ~20K miles, which I replaced. One had over 35K miles with no issues. The third only had 4K miles at the time of the recall completion. We don't have enough data on longevity of the fix, with only about 5K miles on the fix.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I posted this question for ALL the folks who need to get theirs replaced because of RED DUST etc. .... I don't / won't have this issue because my 2014 ( early RT ) doesn't have the problem ( # 77,000 mi. no red dust )
    Funny that you should mention that. I had the recall done on mine, but had a conversation with the repair shop during the process. Although they have done some repairs because of the red dust, most of their repairs and failures in their shop were from the older RSS and RT models with the V-twin. He tends to think that it is the luck of the draw as to whether there is a failure or not. Mainly caused by incorrect assembly in the manufacturing process.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white