Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Zumo XT vs iPhone 14 plus

On my recent 3400 + mile trip from Florida to Maine and back I ran the Zumo XT and Google maps side by side and for the most part they were both spot on, Google maps gave alerts to speed traps (only if someone triggers the icons on the map). Google also would redirect if traffic was ahead but often much to late to avoid. The Garmin Zumo XT gave plenty of traffic warning and would reroute automatically(up to 10 miles ahead.). The Garmin also has live weather which is a big help if you want to sit out that thunder storm. I also had my laptop with me and I was able to create a few custom routes using Google maps, convert them to GPX files and import them into the Garmin. The Garmin Zumo XT has a bit of a learning curve and Garmin could take a few pointers from Google maps. Now if I had to rate them it would be a dead tie both have pro's and con's, but if I had to choose just one it would be the Garmin simply because and the touch of a finger you have next gas/food/hotel/weather/traffic and the Garmin will call the hotel when you prompt it to. the Garmin is also MUCH MUCH easier to read in the bright sun light and the fonts are bigger. I also learned not to leave the iPhone plugged in and charged as it will dim the screen and make it nearly impossible to read in bright sunlight, so I would let the iPhone drain to about 30% plug it in and charge it unplug rinse/repeat. YMMV.
    The biggest con to using the iPhone was in the rain light rain was not an issue but heavy rain the drops would open and close apps at will so keep that in mind, The Garmin Zumo XT did not care.

Here's a screen shot of the icons you can post along your route if you dare fiddle with your map while riding, all you have to do is swipe up on your PROGRAMED ROUTE and choose what happened.

Stephan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You’re comparing a stand alone Garmin to Google Maps which doesn’t work so well when there’s no cell service????

Better to compare the Garmin to TomTom, Genius Maps or Sygic which are all offline capable apps. Also ease of route creation, HUD, Pro Guidance, Live traffic and way faster cpu. Easily make route right on the phone.

You need to work on learning how to set the phone’s setting so it works the way you want.

Personally I can’t think why I would spend $$$ on a Garmin when I already have what I need in my pocket.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 08-05-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for info all the same having the Garmin 660 & phone found similar consistency on previous trips. Able to use Google for area wanted to visit, zoom in & pin drop for address info ;type that to Garmin & arrived at location. Unconventional but successful when previous address provided was incorrect -typo or whatever. (Poker run stop). Zoom function on phone & street views were the winning functions. Transfer to the docked & visible Garmin was just safe ease of operation. No headset at the time & phone tucked away, (personally don’t care for handle bar mounts)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    You’re comparing a stand alone Garmin to Google Maps which doesn’t work so well when there’s no cell service???? .......
    WRONG.

You can always use GPS on your mobile device regardless of an internet or cellular connection. As long as you have a charged smartphone with you, you can find your way around remote areas and foreign landscapes. GPS tracking on your phone works just as well without internet connectivity or cellular service.

We are constantly surrounded by Global Positioning System signals from satellites orbiting the planet. Your phone is continuously tracking these signals to get an estimate of your location even when you are offline. Phones can connect to GPS signals without depending on cellular companies or data plans. Even older, retired models perform very well as GPS navigators.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-05-2023 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    You’re comparing a stand alone Garmin to Google Maps which doesn’t work so well when there’s no cell service???? .....
    WRONG.

You can always use GPS on your mobile device regardless of an internet or cellular connection. As long as you have a charged smartphone with you, you can find your way around remote areas and foreign landscapes. GPS tracking on your phone works just as well without internet connectivity or cellular service.

We are constantly surrounded by Global Positioning System signals from satellites orbiting the planet. Your phone is continuously tracking these signals to get an estimate of your location even when you are offline. Phones can connect to GPS signals without depending on cellular companies or data plans. Even older, retired models perform very well as GPS navigators.
    Yes you can use GPS as I mentioned in my reply. Using “offline” capable apps like TomTom, Sygic or Genius Maps. BUT Google maps requires cell service for map data. I know it can download current route maps but if the app quits or the phone shuts off or the person clears the route and you’re not in cell service, it doesn’t work.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-05-2023 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Google Maps lets you save maps in offline mode for use when there is no cell service or when you don't want to pay data charges. I use this when I travel to various cities around the world on vacation to avoid data charges.
    However Google Maps does require cell service if you travel outside of zones you have saved. Otherwise the GPS shows your location on a blank background
    2022 Sea to Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmeechan View Post
    Google Maps lets you save maps in offline mode for use when there is no cell service or when you don't want to pay data charges. I use this when I travel to various cities around the world on vacation to avoid data charges.
    However Google Maps does require cell service if you travel outside of zones you have saved. Otherwise the GPS shows your location on a blank background
    Kind of a pain to keep downloading maps all the time. Plus both Sygic and Genius make it easy to create custom routes.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comparison and info.

We prefer the XT over the iphone, maybe it's habit or maybe familiarity. I'm still learning how to convert the files and import them, eventually I'll get there. I really like the "reshape route", when it works. We had a 6-day trip up/down the PNW coast and had issues with that feature, being directed well out of our way without closures or accidents present. Still trying to figure that one out.

Bottom line, I prefer a dedicated navigation device that is not receiving text messages, phone calls, or update notifications while driving. Having a navigation device wired directly to a power source is a plus. I've been using Garmin since the GPS III, that was a struggle... It's gotten better especially with changes to navigation (satellite) restrictions lifted (drifting), but we still have a few issues to address. FYI, we both use Garmin GPS units every day for work purposes in the Seattle area... very challenging.

Thanks again for the information Stephan.

Ken
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2023 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No need to use a laptop to make routes as the phone is a computer and the GPS apps make it easy to customize routes.

“Dedicated GPS”??? The phone IS a dedicated GPS but it’s also a phone, can play music, text, email, browse the web, get on social media etc. etc.

It’s new tech and takes getting used to. Took almost 20 years to learn how a Garmin or TomTom works. The phone is always with you, play with it and see what the GPS apps can do. Check YouTube for vids on how they work.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red