Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

I’m not sure if this counts as a true EV. But last week I ended up with a 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4XE. I was not looking for electric, but with all the incentives I leased it. This model level is a Willys, and it is hybrid, all electric, or gas, and it can charge itself, which is highly b.s. But like I said, I was not looking for an EV. The Willys on pure electric makes only 21 miles, then it’s charge time or have it in hybrid mode. The one thing about Teslas is they have a network of supercharge stations across the U.S. But that doesn’t help my Willys or a lot of other EVs due to the actual connection point on the vehicle for charging. But what is fun is trying to get the Willys to self-charge in the hybrid mode. The way it does that is as you let off the accelerator the internal braking takes over for a few seconds, and then you have to finish braking the normal way. So, every now and then I get an extra 1 mile in the electrical bank, and that doesn’t happen very often. The fun part is when I'm coming to a stop sign, I let off the accelerator at a point where I can coast right up to the stop sign, and then give it the gas again. What you are trying to do is not use the actual brakes, but time it right to hit the accelerator and not have someone cross in front of you. It’s almost like playing a game, and my g.f. keeps telling me to stop doing that. But I’m getting better at determining at what point to let up on the accelerator and coast right up to the stop sign, and then hit the gas. But like I said, I wasn’t actually looking for an EV.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)