Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Can Car Horns be made functional on an F3??

A friend has a 17 F3 LTD. He has a pair of 12v horns that are actually for a car or truck. He is not a computer guy, so he ask me to pose the question to the forum. Can the horns be made functional on his F3? If so, how? Thanks.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

As long as you can find a place to put them. Why not? 12v is 12v. If you need more juice you might need a relay. But you should be able to just plug them into the existing horn circuit.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ron. Since I don’t have a 17, where would the horn and connection point(s) be?

Spyder Garage

What Ron said.........

I have put diesel truck electric horns, not the air horns, just the super loud, 12 volt horns, on motorcycles before. Just need a relay and a button to push. Heavy wire from the battery to the horns, and always include an in-line fuse that will support however many amps the horns will pull, plus small safety factor. The button can use lighter wire, and it activates the relay. It can be mounted any place you want to put it.

Don't need to go back to the battery with the ground side of the circuit, if you have a convenient ground point near the horns. It should be a known safe ground that does not pass through any bearings, or other metal parts that could be damaged by electricity passing through it.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 07-31-2023 at 12:10 PM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    A friend has a 17 F3 LTD. He has a pair of 12v horns that are actually for a car or truck. He is not a computer guy, so he ask me to pose the question to the forum. Can the horns be made functional on his F3? If so, how? Thanks.
    I'm running 2 car horns on my 2013 RT, using the un-modified OE horn circuit & switch to trigger a fused relay supplied & earthed with power direct from the battery thru heavy leads, cos without the full-on 12v power supply (& earth), they sounded pretty anemic!

Sorry, can't help with where the OE Horn & circuit is on any F3, my Forgetory is working too well for that tonight!

But YES, exactly as BajaRon & Gwolf say above; if you can find some place to fit them, they can be made to work, only I too would strongly recommend that relay & heavier wiring to provide full-on Green Steam 12v Power triggered by the OE Horn circuit!!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2023 at 01:43 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Car Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm running 2 car horns on my 2013 RT, using the un-modified OE horn circuit & switch to trigger a fused relay supplied & earthed with power direct from the battery thru heavy leads, cos without the full-on 12v power supply (& earth), they sounded pretty anemic!

Sorry, can't help with where the OE Horn & circuit is on any F3, my Forgetory is working too well for that tonight!

But YES, exactly as BajaRon & Gwolf say above; if you can find some place to fit them, they can be made to work, only I too would strongly recommend that relay & heavier wiring to provide full-on Green Steam 12v Power triggered by the OE Horn circuit!!

Good Luck!

Attached is a wiring diagram for adding a relay to the OEM horn circuit for a Stebel or Wolo horn. Just replace the Stebel or Wolo with the car horns.
    Horn Relay.jpg

Here is another detailed post from Rattlebars for adding twin GoldWing horns and strobes to a Spyder F3. See the GoldWing Misc section of the post.

https://www.rattlebars.com/spyder/spyder.html#misc
    Last edited by Haze; 07-31-2023 at 03:34 PM.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ron. Since I don’t have a 17, where would the horn and connection point(s) be?
    The OEM horn is located on the right front of the 2017 F3. Best I can remember its kind of hard to get to. Can't remember if I had to take any panels off or not. I replaced OEM horn with the Motorhorn and its loud.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Found at Spyders on aBayou 2018 - Spyder Attitude’s RT for display

AC8D09D5-7DE1-45F3-A2E7-22C7F98E9B09.jpg 853DA1AF-3AC8-46EB-8DE7-BDB756E16D5D.jpg - can you hear me NOW?!
    **Sorry did not get to hear testing **
    Last edited by Bfromla; 07-31-2023 at 06:45 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    ... - can you hear me NOW?!
    Err, YEAH!! 3 States over!!

Let them rip & while that air tank lasts, which'll be plenty long enough, everyone in the surrounding 3 States will think there's a train locomotive just about to run them down!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Last question. Is there a particular relay recommended for this application?

Spyder Garage

Last question. Is there a particular relay recommended for this application?
    Just about any auto parts store will know which relays from cars will work, if the person behind the counter is an experienced parts person. Just tell them what you are doing with the relay, and you don't care what car it belongs on, it is for a special application to power horns. They will have what you need. Not very expensive, last ones I bought.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver