Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust Perfection?! another $20 exhaust system. No aftermarket muffler needed

So, if you looked at my last post "WOW!...", you saw my first attempt at an exhaust modification for my 2015 Spyder RS SM5. I removed the stock muffler and installed 2 off-the-shelf exhaust parts. Although the sound is awsome, I was a little worried about some loss of power at more aggressive throttle positions (i.e. WOT) as the opening is only about 1" dia. So, I kept tinkering with it.
    My new mod uses a smaller Walker flange adapter (part number 41724, 2") and an elbow (amazon: Gorniloxam OD 2 inch 90 degree exhaust elbow Pipe - Mandrel Bend Elbow). I removed the graphite exhaust gasket and attached the flange adapter directly to the cat converter flange. I was worried when I received the elbow because it is a casting and may or may not be 304SS as stated in the description. Feels like chrome-plated aluminum-steel alloy. But the 2" OD elbow held up to grinding a chamfer at one end and pounding it into the flange adapter's 2" ID opening. I pounded on it pretty good and it held up. No screws necessary for this connection. Discharge opening is now 1-7/8" ID. Sound is still great. No exhaust popping. This is a winner! Post below if you make the mod yourself. See pix below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That has to be ridiculously loud.
    I doubt you see an actual power gain either.
    That would irritate the heck out of me, both on and off the trike.

Spyder Garage

I would want to rotate the outlet end of the pipe from pointing down to out to the side. Mainly due to the dust/dirt cloud it may create.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I would want to rotate the outlet end of the pipe from pointing down to out to the side. Mainly due to the dust/dirt cloud it may create.
    Pointing it out rather than down will also reduce noise to the rider as the ground will reflect a percentage of the sound upwards.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input so far. The pipe does clean the workshop floor as it stands now. What is nice with this arrangement, though, is that the swivel flange allows you to rotate the discharge gas 360 degrees. If I point it to the rear, the 90 degree bend will throw gas back onto the rear wheel. I could (and may) use my chop saw to remove some angle, or I may just rotate the discharge away from bike...or down at 45 degrees. Plenty of options available. I rode the Spyder without an elbow, but the addition of the elbow produces a more mellow (better) sound IMO. Almost no difference from my first mod with the DB killer installed.
    FYI, I did not make this mod expecting a HP increase. I did it to be heard by the cagers. I also dropped about 20 lbs of mass from the stock muffler. The weight reduction put my rear [stock] shock in a better position for sag/pre-load.

Spyder Garage

Rotated port out 45 degrees. Hopefully I got the pic rotated correctly this time. This arrangement isn't any louder than a voodoo or 2bros exhaust and, if I'm going any distance, I'll have in earbuds or plugs to drown out wind noise anyway... since I have a sport (low) wind screen on my rs spyder. I ride with traffic and the sound keeps me noticed. This is not a touring model...it's more of a cafe racer! If I were traveling all day, I can just mount the stock exhaust back on, as needed.
    IMG-0356.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay View Post
    Rotated port out 45 degrees. Hopefully I got the pic rotated correctly this time. This arrangement isn't any louder than a voodoo or 2bros exhaust and, if I'm going any distance, I'll have in earbuds or plugs to drown out wind noise anyway... since I have a sport (low) wind screen on my rs spyder. I ride with traffic and the sound keeps me noticed. This is not a touring model...it's more of a cafe racer! If I were traveling all day, I can just mount the stock exhaust back on, as needed.
    IMG-0356.jpg
    You may be able to reduce the rapp by cutting the tip itself to an angle that is less than 90 degrees (like many of the big trucks have on their straight stacks). If you cut a bit at a time you may come up with something that works for you.