Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Rally U.K. Owner.

Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread? But here goes...

Hi. I've been a member on here for approx the last 3-years, previously I was a 2017 Spyder RTS owner. Around 3 months ago I purchased a 2021 model Ryker Rally registered in 2022 with just 470 registered miles, the reasons for the change were to go smaller and lighter, as I'm a retired senior citizen, also here in the U.K. the annual road tax had just jumped up to £200/year, whereas the Ryker is approx half that as well as being much cheaper on insurance, and tbh I don't do that many miles nowadays and the miles that we do, do are mostly local day trips and the like. Anyhow I convinced myself and er'indoors that the change was probably a good idea. .

To be fair, we are both very happy with the Ryker, obviously not as refined as the Spyder, but it suits us just fine. It came with quite a few extras, and I've added a few since the latest being a K Providence luggage rack and a Shad SH 40 top box...

IMG_20230725_143533226.jpg IMG_20230725_143522530_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Kernow70; 07-26-2023 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2017 Spyder RTS , Std Std Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

Wow! 200 pounds a year road tax is brutal. I won't complain about Texas registration costs for our Spyders any longer. It's nice to know that you're enjoying your Ryker and that it's costing you less overall.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

So is the UK road tax the same as our yearly license registration or is it something in addition to that?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

$36.00 a year here in East Tennessee.

We went to war with England over a 3% tax. What happened to us folks?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    So is the UK road tax the same as our yearly license registration or is it something in addition to that?
    I guess it's probably similar in some ways?, when a vehicle is first registered here you have to pay road tax which is based on the amount of emissions your vehicle discharges into the atmosphere.
    It's a very complicated system as well as being very expensive in some case's, hence why I went for the smaller Canam Ryker over my previously owned Spyder on which the rate increased considerably quite recently.
    I own a little 2007 Toyota Yaris D4-D which is a 1.4 turbo diesel which I use as a cheap runabout and I only pay £30/year, recently increased to £35/year in the last budget, which is still pretty reasonable and I'm not complaining. Er-indoors has a 2017 VW Up Tsi 1.0 turbo petrol, which when new was £145/year road tax, since then the price has increased a couple of times and now it's around £185/year, which to me for such a small car with a small 1.0 litre engine is quite expensive. Now people who run Range Rovers, super cars and the like are paying around £1000/year....??? Hence why a lot of people don't or can't afford to pay the high rates and take a chance in getting nabbed, we have a number plate recognition system here, assume you probably have something similar, the system is fitted to roadside cameras and also in most police cars so your more or less going to come unstuck sooner or later.!!!
    2017 Spyder RTS , Std Std Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow70 View Post
    we have a number plate recognition system here, assume you probably have something similar, the system is fitted to roadside cameras and also in most police cars so your more or less going to come unstuck sooner or later.!!!
    A lot of our law enforcement agencies are going to something like that, mainly to spot stolen cars as well as expire registrations. Some states are looking at a tax based on how many miles you drive but as far as I know it's only in the "looking at" stage right now. Some cities like New York for example, are planning to move to a "Congestion fee" system where some folks will have to pay an additional fee just to drive their cars into the city during peak traffic times. When I last looked, my state has the 3rd highest per gallon gas tax of .70.8 cents a gallon.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited