Spyder Garage

Default Now I'm in trouble ---2014 RTL rear brake pads assembly problems

My bad ....only problem is.... how to get out of it. The Spyder is out of commision until I do
    Apparently I was not involved enough over the last few months to notice my rear brake shoes were way up on their lifespan. Fronts are OK with probably half their life still waiting. I have routinely recorded data like this over the years we've been riding and thought I was "probably OK" until we finished our much needed vacation trip approx 2000 miles a few weeks ago. I didn't check the rears when we got back, but did the fronts, which came in with 4/32 good pad depth. Today I decided it was pastime to address the rear pad status and found there was "0" brake pad left on 1 shoe. Note I had NO indication of a possible issue while riding.

OK, now I have actually disassembled the system for the rear wheel and found "0" lining on the inner pad and "min" on the outer pad.
    In addition I can NOT turn the piston in with needle nose or one old scanner I have, at all (at least not while holding and a helper also helping.
    The only thing keeping me attached right now is the brake line. I hesitate to disconnect that and try things using my vise and ..... ????

ANY help at all with "what might work" or something like that would be appreciated.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Brake Cleaner & Blow off with air compressor, maybe wiggle spanner back & forth in process. Good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It is likely that you've exceeded the thread depth on the piston adjuster. If this is the case you will need to get a good deal of force on the piston as you turn it to re-engage the threads. There is a formidable spring pushing out on the piston. These are very fine threads so it is important to have a straight push and not cock the piston as you turn it. This is not easily done, in any case. But is easier with the caliper off the bike. Pulling the brake line will introduce some air into the system. But there are ways to minimize this. If you get too much air, you will then need to bleed the entire system, including the VSS module. And I know this possibility is what is keeping you at your current status.

It is unlikely that you will be able to accomplish this with needle nose pliers. But the good news is, it is doable.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-19-2023 at 05:03 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep you're in trouble.

I bought my RT-S with 77K miles so brake pads were on the immediate to-do list. Fronts looked good, maybe half worn but rears were almost down to the backing just like yours. Even with BajaRon's tool I could not retract the piston. So it was obvious the previous owner tried to change the rear pads without success and mangled the threads. I bought a used rear brake assembly on eBay for a song, easily retracted its piston with the caliper assembly in a vise, quickly swapped calipers with minimal fluid loss, installed new pads and proceeded to bleeding the brake system. You will want speedbleeders or equivalent. Bleed all three calipers in sequence twice. And if you haven't used 16oz of fluid then you haven't fully flushed your brake system so do it again.

If you do get air in the brake lines, then you will need to bleed the VSS too. At this point it gets serious because your brakes will probably be spongy. Patch things together as best you can and carefully ride to a mechanic with the BUDS service tool.

Best wishes.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is likely that you've exceeded the thread depth on the piston adjuster. If this is the case you will need to get a good deal of force on the piston as you turn it to re-engage the threads. There is a formidable spring pushing out on the piston. These are very fine threads so it is important to have a straight push and not cock the piston as you turn it. This is not easily done, in any case. But is easier with the caliper off the bike. Pulling the brake line will introduce some air into the system. But there are ways to minimize this. If you get too much air, you will then need to bleed the entire system, including the VSS module. And I know this possibility is what is keeping you at your current status.

It is unlikely that you will be able to accomplish this with needle nose pliers. But the good news is, it is doable.
    Thanks for the response, Ron. With the help of my "understanding" soulmate wife I (we) did finally get a BIG clamp on the parts, and I did manage to "feel like it turned in a few turns" and looks like it may be seated again/ok. I did get a feeling I had turned it clockwise a few turns and that it went in some. Tomorrow will tell the story when the pads are in, and everything buttoned up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-20-2023 at 09:19 PM. Reason: " ;-)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Well done and good work.

Bloke after my own heart.

Now , about that preventive maintenance .....
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Thanks for the response Ron. With the help of my "understanding" solemate wife I (we) did finally get a BIG clamp on the parts and I did manage to "feel like it turned in a few turns and looks like it may be seated again/ok. I did get a feeling I had turned it clockwise a few turns and that it went in some. Tomorrow will tell the story when the pads are in and everything buttoned up.
    It is good to have a GOOD navigator that can turn a wrench every now and then!!! Hope your on the road to miles of smiles!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Thanks for the response Ron. With the help of my "understanding" solemate wife I (we) did finally get a BIG clamp on the parts and I did manage to "feel like it turned in a few turns and looks like it may be seated again/ok. I did get a feeling I had turned it clockwise a few turns and that it went in some. Tomorrow will tell the story when the pads are in and everything buttoned up.
    Awesome! Sounds like you're on your way to a Good Day! The rear pads are harder to check. But those are the ones that will get you every time. Glad you got it worked out. Were you able to do it on the bike? Or did you take the caliper off?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Awesome! Sounds like you're on your way to a Good Day! The rear pads are harder to check. But those are the ones that will get you every time. Glad you got it worked out. Were you able to do it on the bike? Or did you take the caliper off?
    Caliper off but connected, both of us holding and twisting and squeezing as much as we could! I just wrapped everything up this AM, after fighting the new shoes to get them to go over the brake disc as required. They didn't want to stand apart long enough to get completely over the disc. ANYWAY - THANKS VERY MUCH for your support along the way! It won't be forgotten !!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-20-2023 at 09:21 PM. Reason: didn't didn't; forgtten; + ;-)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

It's an 'All's well that ends well' scenario. Perseverance and teamwork pays off.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

...Glad you were able to get the job done. Any tips for how to make this 'Brake Job' a little bit easier? I need to check out my rear brakes too.

Enjoy your Ryde Times. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...Glad you were able to get the job done. Any tips for how to make this 'Brake Job' a little bit easier? I need to check out my rear brakes too.

Little Blue,
    From the front of the caliper assy, with help from a small mirror and a small flashlight, I was able to get a glimpse of how much pad is left. holding your cell phone up in that area can also produce a view...if you try a few shots.

Note: Ours is a 2014RTLSE6 purchased in June 2014.
    I document mileage readings all the time, for maintenance items history as well as "just want to know" for some things.
    For the rear brakes my recorded data shows me that on:
    02/07/18 we had put 20,396 miles on original set of rear pads - thought they were "down to limits" (may not have been) - but I replaced them with OEM.
    0n 05/14/21 ( 43,300 miles on Spyder and 22,904 miles on this set of pads) I checked and found No Lining Left - replaced with OEM.
    On 07/17/23 (61,000 miles on Spyder and only only 16,700 miles on rear pads, I found No Lining on 1 pad and a slim sheet of lining on the other. Have now replaced with OEM for 3rd time.

First off, I do not consider these "lifespans" to be a condemnation of OEM pads.
    Our riding habits have changed significantly over the past few years (primarily with now towing a trailer a lot and"using interstate travel and associated increased braking requirements". )
    Secondly, I WILL be checking the rear pad linings for depth more often now (even though it is a "PITA" to do with any confidence).
    Thirdly, I WILL be getting the tool for turning in the piston on the rear caliper !!

Don't know if this helps or hinders, but just my data and comments.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post

My $.02 worth here. It helps a lot to open the caliper bleeder (with a tube and bag/bottle attached) when turning the piston back in. It lessens the force required by not having to force brake fluid back to the reservoir. It also gives you the twofer of flushing out some of the old fluid. When you're finished with the job, just remember to check the fluid level in the reservoir.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Hey Bert! Did you mean ABS not VSS? Just asking to clarify for others. Thanks Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Yep you're in trouble.

I bought my RT-S with 77K miles so brake pads were on the immediate to-do list. Fronts looked good, maybe half worn but rears were almost down to the backing just like yours. Even with BajaRon's tool I could not retract the piston. So it was obvious the previous owner tried to change the rear pads without success and mangled the threads. I bought a used rear brake assembly on eBay for a song, easily retracted its piston with the caliper assembly in a vise, quickly swapped calipers with minimal fluid loss, installed new pads and proceeded to bleeding the brake system. You will want speedbleeders or equivalent. Bleed all three calipers in sequence twice. And if you haven't used 16oz of fluid then you haven't fully flushed your brake system so do it again.

If you do get air in the brake lines, then you will need to bleed the VSS too. At this point it gets serious because your brakes will probably be spongy. Patch things together as best you can and carefully ride to a mechanic with the BUDS service tool.

Best wishes.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red face

Dave -- neither...my mistake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike