Spyder Garage

Default 1 week/1,100 mile review of 23 F3-T

Well, I’ve had my F3-T for exactly a week, I’ve racked up about 1,060 miles, and figured I would post an initial review. I want to let everyone know that I came off a BMW bike, so on some things I might point out, please keep that in mind, as that was probably the nicest riding, most powerful, & well-built bike I have ever owned.

First, once I got used to reaching for the clutch/front brake and finding they weren’t there, that’s a really nice feature when riding in stop & go traffic. That’s one of the features that I love about a couple of Honda bikes are their DCT. If Can-Am would make a Spyder with the K1600 engine, DCT, and a shaft drive, I’d jump on that bandwagon in a heartbeat!

Secondly, the suspension is okay, but I can feel the rear shock bottom out on occasion; but I do live in New Mexico and most of our roads are pretty bad. I’ve already started to look at Elka shocks and Baja Ron’s sway bar.

The front frunk lid could use a little more support along the side, as it feels a little flimsy when closing.

Once I received the #5 brake rod (Thanks Haze!), the ergonomics are much better. Eventually, I am going to install the Ultimate floorboards, Ultimate Tall Boy Seat and Lamonster Bar Risers, but that one change helped a lot.

Performance wise, this has some pretty decent power, but I’ve already ordered the Pedal Commander to eliminate some of the lag, so we’ll see how much that helps. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I’ll find out soon.

Overall, I really do like my Spyder and I’m glad I picked one up and look forward to many rides in the future.

Ride safe & ride often!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 04:42 PM. Reason: funk... ;-)
    2023 F3-T , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Great write up. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Well written and accurate assessment. You're going to like the Fly-by-Wire mod. Those who say it doesn't increase HP are technically correct. However, it would be more accurate to say it won't increase potential HP. But it does increase actual, usesable HP. Because the stock ECU won't allow you to use all the power available from the 1330 engine. Just like the nanny slows you down in curves. The ECU restricts how much power you can have, and how quickly you get it. You'll think you put a turbo on that motor.

Still not going to be a Ninja. But it will definitely make you smile. Instead of your 1300 running like a 1000cc. It will start running like a 1300 should.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
    Well, I’ve had my F3-T for exactly a week, I’ve racked up about 1,060 miles, and figured I would post an initial review. I want to let everyone know that I came off a BMW bike, so on some things I might point out, please keep that in mind, as that was probably the nicest riding, most powerful, & well-built bike I have ever owned.

First, once I got used to reaching for the clutch/front brake and finding they weren’t there, that’s a really nice feature when riding in stop & go traffic. That’s one of the features that I love about a couple of Honda bikes are their DCT. If Can-Am would make a Spyder with the K1600 engine, DCT, and a shaft drive, I’d jump on that bandwagon in a heartbeat!

Secondly, the suspension is okay, but I can feel the rear shock bottom out on occasion; but I do live in New Mexico and most of our roads are pretty bad. I’ve already started to look at Elka shocks and Baja Ron’s sway bar.

The front frunk lid could use a little more support along the side, as it feels a little flimsy when closing.

Once I received the #5 brake rod (Thanks Haze!), the ergonomics are much better. Eventually, I am going to install the Ultimate floorboards, Ultimate Tall Boy Seat and Lamonster Bar Risers, but that one change helped a lot.

Performance wise, this has some pretty decent power, but I’ve already ordered the Pedal Commander to eliminate some of the lag, so we’ll see how much that helps. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I’ll find out soon.

Overall, I really do like my Spyder and I’m glad I picked one up and look forward to many rides in the future.

Ride safe & ride often!!

Pikester,

Nice write up.

I have a 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue. I love mine. I also have over 1,000 miles on it, and I have had mine a month and 3 weeks now. I have the Comfort Seat which is OEM, I've added some farkles to it, and I have a few more farkles on the way too.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Great write up. Bruce
    Thanks Bruce! I’m ready for Fall, as we’ve been over 100 every day this week and my Spydy was showing 106 on my way home from work today.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Well written and accurate assessment. You're going to like the Fly-by-Wire mod. Those who say it doesn't increase HP are technically correct. However, it would be more accurate to say it won't increase potential HP. But it does increase actual, usesable HP. Because the stock ECU won't allow you to use all the power available from the 1330 engine. Just like the nanny slows you down in curves. The ECU restricts how much power you can have, and how quickly you get it. You'll think you put a turbo on that motor.

Still not going to be a Ninja. But it will definitely make you smile. Instead of your 1300 running like a 1000cc. It will start running like a 1300 should.
    I’ve heard it really “wakes” up the engine. I had a Bren tune on my K1600 and it was probably close to 180hp. That was a fun bike to ride, but I hop on my F3 every chance I get as well, so I can’t wait to feel the difference. I need to find someone close by that will do the laser alignment, as above about 78, the vibration increases.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Pikester,

Nice write up.

I have a 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue. I love mine. I also have over 1,000 miles on it, and I have had mine a month and 3 weeks now. I have the Comfort Seat which is OEM, I've added some farkles to it, and I have a few more farkles on the way too.

Deanna
    I think I might have to get a second job just to pay for all the farkles!��. I like the color of your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Do you know f3t have an air bag in rear shock that you manual inflate? I ride 2 up and never have bottom out my f3t

Spyder Garage

I think I might have to get a second job just to pay for all the farkles!��. I like the color of your Spyder.
    Pikester, I know what you mean! Thanks. In my area I have not seen too many F3 LTD Special with the same color. I am not sure how many the can am dealerships had when i bought mine.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    Do you know f3t have an air bag in rear shock that you manual inflate? I ride 2 up and never have bottom out my f3t
    mandytuning, The F3T has cruise control and adjustable air ride suspension.https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...itid=000H6PB00

The above link is from the BRP Website. It lists some of the features that the F3 T has.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    Yeah, but we have potholes in New Mexico the size of a small car. I have mine adjusted for my recommended weight with cargo.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, but we have potholes in New Mexico the size of a small car. I have mine adjusted for my recommended weight with cargo.
    Pikester, the stock rear shock on the F3 Touring models, despite it being called “two-up”, is still very weak. That’s why so many replace with aftermarket…….

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Pikester, the stock rear shock on the F3 Touring models, despite it being called “two-up”, is still very weak. That’s why so many replace with aftermarket…….

Pete
    How do you like your Ikon Pete? I’ve been researching the Elka stage 2 shock.

Spyder Garage

How do you like your Ikon Pete? I’ve been researching the Elka stage 2 shock.
    I like the Ikon, Pikester, as it is significantly better for me than stock over our potholed roads, and it’s a good price. Adjustments are a bit limited however. I felt the German Wilbers I had on my F3 were a slightly better unit, but they were also more expensive. I probably would have gone for Wilbers again, but my ‘21RT had a dreadful squeak from the factory, and Covid had just hit so I couldn’t get back to the dealer. Wilbers have a longish lead time, and the ikon was at my door a few days later. I am quite happy with it. Riders do seem to pretty happy with their Elkas, too.

Here’s some photos of the Wilbers and stock (F3) and the Ikon and stock (RT)

IMG_0483.jpgIMG_0485.jpgIMG_1267.jpg

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red