Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question What do you do for Emergency Assistance on Far/interstate Road-trips?

I love to take day trips and extended stay rides. I currently own a trailer and have had to have my wife come pick me up during breakdowns in past. I’d love to come up with a means to get help without the need for my wife and my own trailer if I were to break down. What do you do?

What do you do if you break down far from home and alone? What services do you use? What’s your plan for handling such an emergency? Are you trying to get towed back home or to nearest? Have you been stranded because no parts locally?

Would love to see how you’ve planned for roadside emergencies so-as to keep moving and get you and your Spyder elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-06-2023 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Boris - The Spyder

Monster FI Stage 1, Elka Stage 2 F&R, BajaRon Swaybar, Lamonster Links,
    Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer, Madstad Windshield, Cannonball Seats, Driver Backrest, Driver Footboards,
    15" Fat 6 Chrome Wheels, LED Headlights, LED Fog Lights, Chrome Handlebars, Chrome Frame Caps, Front Cargo 12v Power Outlet Kit,
    Ram Phone Mount, USB Power (Handlebars), Full-Size Brake Pedal, Lamonster 3rd Peg w/ Kuryakyn Trident Large ISO-Pegs, Cross-Country Detachable Saddlebags
    2015 F3 , Stock I use the Extended Brake Pedal Silver with black stripes and Can-Am Red/Orange accents

Spyder Garage

Eric, Did you ride 2 wheels before? I guess I would do the same whether I ride 2, 3, or 4 wheels. HOPE I'm never stranded and have to figure it out. Road service.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

I did not. My F3-S is my first motorcycle. I’m curious the types of plans and “insurance” (supper services) others use and prep with for such emergencies… Thanks!
    Boris - The Spyder

Akrapovic Straight Shot Silencer, Madstad Windshield, Cannonball Seats, Driver Backrest, Driver Footboards,
    15" Fat 6 Chrome Wheels, LED Headlights, LED Fog Lights, Chrome Handlebars, Chrome Frame Caps, Front Cargo 12v Power Outlet Kit,
    Ram Phone Mount, USB Power (Handlebars), Full-Size Brake Pedal, Lamonster 3rd Peg w/ Kuryakyn Trident Large ISO-Pegs, Cross-Country Detachable Saddlebags
    2015 F3 , Stock I use the Extended Brake Pedal Silver with black stripes and Can-Am Red/Orange accents

Spyder Garage

Good tool kit(with compressor & charged jump pack emergency ready credit card)
    & AMA
    https://join.americanmotorcyclist.co...xoCuCgQAvD_BwE
    Additionally if Have a known direction of trip-google preview of dealers along route; collect information & maybe visit, just so know where they are. If under BEST warranty have your VIN# handy.
    ** “planned for roadside emergencies” PLAN is one them 4letter words **
    Last edited by Bfromla; 07-06-2023 at 08:00 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

https://member.acg.aaa.com/mn/member...remier-rv.html

This is what we have for the motorcyle/spyders in our family, Have not used it for one of ours , but used it for a fellow Spyder rider on a trip.

https://member.acg.aaa.com/mn/insura...insurance.html

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 07-06-2023 at 08:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

AAA/ decent road side tool kit/ fix a flat or tire plugs/ emergence only credit card.

Spyder Garage

We use AAA RV plus (might be called something different in your state). I had it for my cars, RV and motorcycles then continued it for the spyders. I have used it on spyders and motorcycles. The RV plus covers the motorcycles. Also (many years ago) I was taught to always say I wanted a flat bed tow truck when I first called AAA. I have never had an issue. I would research where to tie down your spyders as there are some new tow truck drivers out there that might not be familiar where to tie it down correctly or how to hook up and pull it up on a flat bed. (honestly I have forgotten and need to look that up myself.

Hope that helps
    John

Spyder Garage

So what I’m getting as a general plan for everyone so far is be prepared to try and fix it yourself, then if not, tow to closest dealership for service before continuing on the journey.

I was curious if anyone’s plan was more around getting it long-distance towed home for repairs, and getting a rental of some sort (cage or motorcycle) to continue on. There’s likely other options too.
    Boris - The Spyder

Spyder Garage

I have a few hundred thousand miles touring 2 and 3 wheelers over the last 50+ years. I've had exactly one time when I was stranded. Dead battery when trying to leave a motel after a nights stay. Called the nearest dealer who recommended a tow company. They picked up the bike, took it to the dealer who replaced the battery and checked out the charging system. Sent me on my way after a few hours delay. Being stranded is something I think about but do not let it control what I do.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    So what I’m getting as a general plan for everyone so far is be prepared to try and fix it yourself, then if not, tow to closest dealership for service before continuing on the journey.

I was curious if anyone’s plan was more around getting it long-distance towed home for repairs, and getting a rental of some sort (cage or motorcycle) to continue on. There’s likely other options too.
    Hard to comment without jinx. Believe the saying something like: “Prepare for worst , hope for the best.” Someone’s signature: “Ride more worry less”

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I love to take day trips and extended stay rides. I currently own a trailer and have had to have my wife come pick me up during breakdowns in past.

I’d love to come up with a means to get help without the need for my wife and my own trailer if I were to break down.

What do you do? Eric
    What I do?

I service all my rides annually.

During that service I also apply something thats loosely called preventive maintenance.

Like servicing stuff that hasn't yet failed but could benefit from some maintenance to ensure it is in good nick and good for another round.

Whats caused your fails and need a trailer to get home home?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I invested in an Aluma flatbed trailer with a ramp and super chalks in case I had a failure far away from home. I have AAA RV towing to get me to a secure location and then I can handle it from there. In short, it's known as preplanning.

Spyder Garage

Happily, the Spyder is not known for breaking down all the time. Yes, it has happened to an unlucky few.

Long tows can be very expensive. Lower 48 is usually not to much of a problem. There are more populated rather than desolate areas. The Spyder is not an easy machine to work on. Most bad situations cannot be fixed on the road. Tire repair--the fix a flat kit is good. More than a basic tool kit???

I have owned seven Spyders--five of them while living in Alaska. Over 175,000 miles there, no break downs that left me stranded. Always carried the phone and the credit card just in case.

One can over prepare for some of this stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If it is an internal or computer problem, I would rent a Uhaul box Truck, load it inside, and drive it home. Almost anything else I can fix. If I am in a wreck, well someone else will have to take care of that as I probably won't be in any shape to for a few days or maybe not ever.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2023 at 08:05 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If it is an internal or computer problem, I would rent a Uhaul box Truck, load it inside, and drive it home.....
    Now this is a good one - what size truck?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2023 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Boris - The Spyder

Spyder Garage

I've had my Spyder since 2017. I always plot my route with gas station exits and nearest certified dealer. Unfortunately, I found out that Can Am Dealers are very few or none at all when it comes to traveling. Make sure you have roadside service with extra cash on hand. I've been with other groups where they didn't want to accept credit cards and took cash only. Travel during daylight when service dealers are open where you can get towed if necessary. Also pay attention to those mile markers on the interstate, they come in handy for giving information to roadside service.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2023 at 08:08 PM. Reason: wear; except... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone - the jist of what I’m getting is I’m already all prepped (although that uhaul idea is prime!), but will just need to be ok with triage and pivot as needed. Seems the idea is fix, find local repair to continue on, get a means to tow it back (uhaul for the win here lol). Agreed on good dealerships getting sparse. I do have lots of good tools, but one call-out not noted above: I did get (and keep on me) tow straps for in case the tow truck only has hooks. Cheap insurance against cosmetic damages. I’m thinking I’m going to adopt this mentality next breakdown (had a belt shred once, and had the sprocket go out once).

Thanks everyone!
    Boris - The Spyder

Spyder Garage

Now this is a good one - what size truck?
    The size with a 6ft door. I'd have to figure some way to get it up in the bed. I think I can find one with a low deck height. I did have my brother come with pick me up in AZ with my truck and 14ft trailer when the shifter lever went out and I didn't have any parts and neither did anyone else, but I don't have that problem anymore. Got extra parts.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

AAA for sure. With AAA Plus, you get 100 miles of towing before it starts coming out of your pocket. Saved my bacon, unfortunately, too many times with my 2013 RTL ( The White Elephant).
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Time and/or money will fix most things. Prevention goes a long way. Before my trip to Alaska I had the 9k service done even though I only had 6k on my 2020 RTL. I put on a new, rear non-oem tire. I disabled the DESS just to be safe. I took some basic tools, a 12v inflator, a tire repair kit and a can of fix a flat. A AAA rv+ membership card and a couple credit cards in my pocket. Really, there is not much you can fix on a Spyder so be sure to start the trip with full confidence in your bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do have lots of good tools, but one call-out not noted above: I did get (and keep on me) tow straps for in case the tow truck only has hooks. Cheap insurance against cosmetic damages. I’m thinking I’m going to adopt this mentality next breakdown (had a belt shred once, and had the sprocket go out once).

Thanks everyone!
    For less than $20 Lamonster sells two lower shock bolts that have "O" rings welded on them for the purpose of towing or moving a short distance if disabled. I've got them on my Spyder. Very inexpensive insurance if needed.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...ie-down-rings/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2023 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Fixed that awful stutter you had! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    For less than $20 Lamonster sells two lower shock bolts that have "O" rings welded on them for the purpose of towing or moving a short distance if disabled. I've got them on my Spyder. Very inexpensive insurance if needed.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...ie-down-rings/
    That is a great idea.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

ride more

worry less
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I love to take day trips and extended stay rides. I currently own a trailer and have had to have my wife come pick me up during breakdowns in past. I’d love to come up with a means to get help without the need for my wife and my own trailer if I were to break down. What do you do?

What do you do if you break down far from home and alone? What services do you use? What’s your plan for handling such an emergency? Are you trying to get towed back home or to nearest? Have you been stranded because no parts locally?

Would love to see how you’ve planned for roadside emergencies so-as to keep moving and get you and your Spyder elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    If you have a Facebook account, check out North American Biker Rescue (NABR). With over 52K fellow bikers and Spyder riders willing to help, there's a pretty good chance you will be taken care of no matter where you encounter problems.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

You guys know that if you still have factory or extended warranty it have roadside assistance. Also my insurance have roadside assistance