Spyder Garage

Default Anyone have a custom air intake on the 2008 gs spyder?

I'm having a hard time finding a actual kit anywhere online so I'm thinking of making one myself. I need to take measurements of the throttle body intakes. Thinking they are 2 - 2.5 inch but will know for sure today after I get out there and measure them.

I think I'll buy two of these https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Reduce..._t4_B07GVG7ZQF and attach them to the two intakes,

then buy two of these https://www.amazon.com/Sporacingrts-...8271736&sr=8-7

then route them to this y pipe https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Inta.../dp/B00KSVDJYK

then attach this cone filter to the y pipe https://www.amazon.com/Inlet-Intake-...s%2C143&sr=8-3

I'm not a mechanic but I think that will work. Any input and criticism will be happily accepted lol
    Last edited by LongBeard; 07-03-2023 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Couldn't get all the links to work! %-(

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongBeard View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding a actual kit anywhere online so I'm thinking of making one myself. I need to take measurements of the throttle body intakes. Thinking they are 2 - 2.5 inch but will know for sure today after I get out there and measure them. I think I'll buy two of these https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Reduce...07GVG7ZQF?th=1 and attach them to the two intakes, then buy two of these https://www.amazon.com/Sporacingrts-...8271736&sr=8-7 then route them to this y pipe https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Inta.../dp/B00KSVDJYK then attach this cone filter to the y pipe https://www.amazon.com/Inlet-Intake-...%2C144&sr=1-10 I'm not a mechanic but I think that will work. Any input and criticism is happily accepted lol
    .... PS check out my pics ( with explanations ) in an Album I posted for this fix .....

I made one back in 2010 for mine ..... I attached a four in. alumin. dryer hose to the right side air intake snorkels ..... ( you need to cut off about 2 inches +/- to make this work ) .... I would not go directly to the Throttle body housing thereby eliminating the Air Filter. .... after connecting to the rubber snorkel the alumin. tube goes to the air inlet on the right side panel .... you could actually put a small " computer cooling fan " ( cost about $4.50 on e-bay ) .... IT really helped with the over-all engine cooling, prior to this the air that went into the air filter was about 100 degree's F hotter. ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-03-2023 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added pics info

Spyder Garage

Sorry Longbeard, but only the Aluminum Y Pipe link worked.... (saw some cute dogs tho! )

I looked, but couldn't find &/or fix the other links for you...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

We now make the JT AF-1 airbox system which replaces the airbox on the 998 motors.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=50 Is this the correct link to the air filter kit? Also it says out of stock. Are they available elsewhere?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sorry Longbeard, but only the Aluminum Y Pipe link worked.... (saw some cute dogs tho! )

I looked, but couldn't find &/or fix the other links for you...
    Oh thank you I think I got them fixed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... PS check out my pics ( with explanations ) in an Album I posted for this fix .....

I made one back in 2010 for mine ..... I attached a four in. alumin. dryer hose to the right side air intake snorkels ..... ( you need to cut off about 2 inches +/- to make this work ) .... I would not go directly to the Throttle body housing thereby eliminating the Air Filter. .... after connecting to the rubber snorkel the alumin. tube goes to the air inlet on the right side panel .... you could actually put a small " computer cooling fan " ( cost about $4.50 on e-bay ) .... IT really helped with the over-all engine cooling, prior to this the air that went into the air filter was about 100 degree's F hotter. ..... Mike
    Very interesting mod I will keep that in mind for sure thank you

Spyder Garage

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=50 Is this the correct link to the air filter kit? Also it says out of stock. Are they available elsewhere?
    I thought he went out of business and stopped making that!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I thought he went out of business and stopped making that!
    I believe JT did stop, but then there's this (see below) from BajaRon juuust a bit earlier in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We now make the JT AF-1 airbox system which replaces the airbox on the 998 motors.

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

JT listed us as the new source for this air intake system on that website. He decided to put his efforts elsewhere.

I called him sometime back because I had a customer who wanted us to install one on his Spyder. We've been doing this for a few years now. When JT told me he'd sold the last one and had no plans to make any more. I asked if I could take up the product and he agreed.

JT is a great guy and It has been a pleasure working with him all these years.

If you would like to get one of these kits. You can call the shop at 423-609-7588 and order one. Or you can email us at fyredad@hotmail.com. And you can always PM me here at Spyderlovers.com

We have them in the original Blue and now Red as well.

We are closed today. But I will be answering emails and PM's.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-04-2023 at 11:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have this filter on my spyder, bought it before BajaRon took it over. If you like the throaty sound of the intake you'll get it with this filter, louder than the stock exhaust, biggest plus in my book is you can see the engine and the right side spark plug is easy to get to NOW.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    I have this filter on my spyder, bought it before BajaRon took it over. If you like the throaty sound of the intake you'll get it with this filter, louder than the stock exhaust, biggest plus in my book is you can see the engine and the right side spark plug is easy to get to NOW.
    This is why I installed one way back when. It really opens up the engine compartment. All the cringeworthy tasks that require removing that monstrous airbox become easy-peasy. And it does add an awesome growl at full throttle. The most difficult step of installing this is getting that battleship original air box out! After you get that done. It's smooth sailing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is why I installed one way back when. It really opens up the engine compartment. All the cringeworthy tasks that require removing that monstrous airbox become easy-peasy. And it does add an awesome growl at full throttle. The most difficult step of installing this is getting that battleship original air box out! After you get that done. It's smooth sailing!
    I got lucky was able to get all this crap out without removing either one of the side braces, or the front end, that the service manual said, needed removed.

20230309_131051.jpg
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    I got lucky was able to get all this crap out without removing either one of the side braces, or the front end, that the service manual said, needed removed.

20230309_131051.jpg
    I guess ignorance is actually bliss as they say. I've never consulted the manual. I've always been able to get these out without removing anything but the necessary Tupperware. The RT and 2013+ 998 airbox is easier, in my opinion, than the older GS/RS/RSS that used the pancake version.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-04-2023 at 03:15 PM.