Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Passed out fromm heat.

Slice, sorry to hear of your troubles. That is a fine looking Wing, with a honda trained mechanic with his own shop near by seems difficult to be a wrong decision. You are alway welcome here, you have some interesting perspectives, keep the shinny side up. Are you going to trade your Spyder or sell it outright? Sounds like a great bike for a second buyer.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Slice that could have been real bad. Glad your ok! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

One last thought about your head injury...... Be very careful for the next week or two. A concussion can come up and bite you several days after a blow to the head. I had one many years ago that caused me issues several days after conking my head on a car door jamb. I was sitting down and the room started spinning really bad. It was so bad I could hardly make my way to the bathroom where I then puked my guts out. Use caution......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Slice, sorry to hear of your troubles. That is a fine looking Wing, with a honda trained mechanic with his own shop near by seems difficult to be a wrong decision. You are alway welcome here, you have some interesting perspectives, keep the shinny side up. Are you going to trade your Spyder or sell it outright? Sounds like a great bike for a second buyer.

Al in Kazoo
    Going to try and trade it so I don't have to deal with people that will want it for $20- and a case of beer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    One last thought about your head injury...... Be very careful for the next week or two. A concussion can come up and bite you several days after a blow to the head. I had one many years ago that caused me issues several days after conking my head on a car door jamb. I was sitting down and the room started spinning really bad. It was so bad I could hardly make my way to the bathroom where I then puked my guts out. Use caution......
    This was certainly not my first head shot, I have put myself on hold for 48 hours.

Been there done that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well good luck with that, ya think changing the rear tire is any easier than the Canam in the Florida heat?

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear and glad you're ok.

Good luck Slice, I'd say that you gave the Spyder a fair chance.
    The Honda is a nice bike also. Maybe when the time comes you can have a trike kit installed on it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Well big guy I hope you have a lift for that two wheeler because just from talking to you and seeing what your writing here you will still work on that bike, and you will have to get on the ground if you can't lift it! So get yourself some pillows to rest your noggin on and get your two-wheeler back! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You might consider buying an Apple Watch to work with an Iphone. It has a feature where if you suddenly fall, as from fainting from the heat, it can alert those you designate as emergency contacts. A relative of mine suddenly collapsed a few months ago and her Apple Watch summoned emergency responders as well as informed her son of the incident. Can be a valuable resource if living alone and doing physical work in a hot environment.

Going from 3 back to 2 wheels seems odd to me, but if it works for you then all is good. I was a 2 wheel rider for 35+ years when at 78 I had two tipovers with my Goldwing within a short period of time. In both cases I needed help in getting the bike upright again. At the same time of these incidents, my wife expressed her growing concern about riding with me. The riding was okay, it was the stopping safely that had her concerned. I ended up trading in that Goldwing for a new RT and have not regretted this decision in the two years since. I find that I don't miss the leaning in curves as much as I thought I would, and that loss is more than compensated by the inherent stability of the Spyder, especially when coming to a stop on other than pristine road surfaces. Just the other day I was out for a nice ride when suddenly the smooth asphalt road turned to soft gravel. I was caught by surprise but it was of no concern. Had I been on the Goldwing, and especially if I had been riding two up, that change of road surface could have been very disturbing and challenging. But with the Spyder it was nothing at all to be worried about, other than slowing down a bit. And just a few weeks back I took a demo ride on a new Harley trike. The ride was okay but it made me even more convinced of the superiority of having two wheels in front rather than two wheels in back.
    Last edited by vito1943; 07-04-2023 at 09:15 AM. Reason: grammer
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    You might consider buying an Apple Watch to work with an Iphone. It has a feature where if you suddenly fall, as from fainting from the heat, it can alert those you designate as emergency contacts. A relative of mine suddenly collapsed a few months ago and her Apple Watch summoned emergency responders as well as informed her son of the incident. Can be a valuable resource if living alone and doing physical work in a hot environment.

Going from 3 back to 2 wheels seems odd to me, but if it works for you then all is good. I was a 2 wheel rider for 35+ years when at 78 I had two tipovers with my Goldwing within a short period of time. In both cases I needed help in getting the bike upright again. At the same time of these incidents, my wife expressed her growing concern about riding with me. The riding was okay, it was the stopping safely that had her concerned. I ended up trading in that Goldwing for a new RT and have not regretted this decision in the two years since. I find that I don't miss the leaning in curves as much as I thought I would, and that loss is more than compensated by the inherent stability of the Spyder, especially when coming to a stop on other than pristine road surfaces. Just the other day I was out for a nice ride when suddenly the smooth asphalt road turned to soft gravel. I was caught by surprise but it was of no concern. Had I been on the Goldwing, and especially if I had been riding two up, that change of road surface could have been very disturbing and challenging. But with the Spyder it was nothing at all to be worried about, other than slowing down a bit. And just a few weeks back I took a demo ride on a new Harley trike. The ride was okay but it made me even more convinced of the superiority of having two wheels in front rather than two wheels in back.
    I also have to chime in. Going from three to two sounds like a step backwards to me also, from a safety standpoint. I love those big bikes and have had my share of them. When I layed my Vulcan 900 down the second time, because of losing balance coming to a stop, I realized that my two wheeling days were at an end. I can still look back in my mind and see all those special bikes and the places I went over the last 50 years. I am going to stick with those memories.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I also have to chime in. Going from three to two sounds like a step backwards to me also, from a safety standpoint. I love those big bikes and have had my share of them. When I layed my Vulcan 900 down the second time, because of losing balance coming to a stop, I realized that my two wheeling days were at an end. I can still look back in my mind and see all those special bikes and the places I went over the last 50 years. I am going to stick with those memories.
    I actually went to 3 wheels because of an accident on 2 wheels and the wife "insisted". After a couple of years I picked up another 2 wheeler to add to the stable. I still don't consider myself a seasoned rider, but I felt uncomfortable at first when I got back in 2 wheels. So I did the next best thing and sold the 2 wheeler and picked up another spyder (2012 RSS, I still had the 2014 RT at the time). After a couple of more seasons I tried another 2 wheeler and feel good on both. I might continue with both, but a spyder is staying in my toy chest. But that is just my experience .
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I think this will be the best move for you Slice. Hopefully the GW will make you happy.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Like you, I became afraid of riding a heavy 2 wheeler, but still have my 2015 Syder F3-S. Recently, I have been reading reviews of the Yamaha Xmax 300. It is lightweight and doesn't require any shifting, but is fairly expensive.

Spyder Garage

I came off a 96 Harley to a 2017 F3 LTD, I tried to go back to a Harley and found out I hated to shift and was spoiled not putting my feet down. As we get older (71) we know our limitations , I know I will not go back to 2 wheels. As I always say, if you feel and you can do it, DO IT. Stay safe Slice.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Anyone that lives alone or has a tendency to fall, or faint, should consider an Apple Watch. It has a feature which calls 911 and gives your location if it senses that you fell, and also notifies your emergency contact. Before sending out a call for help it will beep and the screen will ask you if you have fallen? If you click "no" then it does not make the call. Could be a lifesaver for someone who passes out or falls or crashes in a remote area. I've had the Apple Watch think that I have fallen twice in the last year, and each time I could click that I was OK and had not fallen, but if I had needed help the watch would have called for help without me doing a thing.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Anyone that lives alone or has a tendency to fall, or faint, should consider an Apple Watch. It has a feature which calls 911 and gives your location if it senses that you fell, and also notifies your emergency contact. Before sending out a call for help it will beep and the screen will ask you if you have fallen? If you click "no" then it does not make the call. Could be a lifesaver for someone who passes out or falls or crashes in a remote area. I've had the Apple Watch think that I have fallen twice in the last year, and each time I could click that I was OK and had not fallen, but if I had needed help the watch would have called for help without me doing a thing.
    Thanks .... I should get one of those .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I think it has to be paired with an Apple phone. It won't work with you have an Android phone.

Thought I read that somewhere.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I think it has to be paired with an Apple phone. It won't work with you have an Android phone.

Thought I read that somewhere.
    Yes and No. Not if you get the Apple Watch with the built in phone. It does not need a separate phone to use this feature, but it does required an iPhone to initially setup the watch.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Yes and No. Not if you get the Apple Watch with the built in phone. It does not need a separate phone to use this feature, but it does required an iPhone to initially setup the watch.
    Thank you for that.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

On the hot months Just skip exercise the day you gonna do hard work to keep all your reserve of energy for that. You can think you feel ok and keep going but your body is gonna pay the bill, in this case your head.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    On the hot months Just skip exercise the day you gonna do hard work to keep all your reserve of energy for that. You can think you feel ok and keep going but your body is gonna pay the bill, in this case your head.
    Yep got got that figured out real quick.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    So in the process of taking the rear tire off the heat caught up to me and i passed of and cracked my head off the ground.

I got a baseball size lump on my dome and a 20 gauge hole in my arm from the IV the E.M.S woman gave me to get some fluids back in my (yes I was drinking. )

I'm 100% positive I'm selling the trike, I'll be going back to 2 wheels either a Goldwing or that Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager.

I never did get the tire done. So I'll be paying somebody after all.
    With the alcohol issues it sounds like to me you should stay with 3 wheels!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Still can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    At almost 84, I still do all the work on my '08 Spyder. I do it in my heated/AC garage so excessive heat is not a problem. I do not actually remove the tire from the rim but do remove the rear wheel. Recently did that to have a new Altimax tire put on rim. Removed wheel ok, had tire installed and was installing the wheel back into the Spyder.
    I got so tired I just keeled over onto the garage floor (carpeted with a used piece from the house). My wife passed away 2 yrs ago so I had no one to shout for. After a while I was able to get onto my knees, grab a cabinet & eventually get upright. Staggered upstairs & lay down.

I now always keep a flip phone in a trouser pocket to summon help if I need it. Can't do the things I used to do but still think I can. Grrrr.

Glad you did not have a concussion.
    Don’t stop doing it yourself, you get older fast!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2023 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)