Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by narygancy View Post
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems my battery drains a whole lot faster since I installed FOBO, but if I turn it off after the ride things are OK. I don't ride every day so I only turn it on when I do.
    For max battery life that is exactly what you have to do.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by narygancy View Post
    Hello Again Pete: Actually I keep my phone with me but the app stays "on" and continues to show my air pressure, even when the reading is 2 days old! Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems my battery drains a whole lot faster since I installed FOBO, but if I turn it off after the ride things are OK. I don't ride every day so I only turn it on when I do.

BTW: I love reading your posts, you share some real knowledge about Spyders as a help to us newbies (this is my second year on 3 wheels).
    Now you have really got me thinking, NaryGancy. (I assume it’s Gary? ). I’ll do a little research with my phone to verify my FOBO settings. I know FOBO has a “permanently on” setting that keeps the display showing on your phone as long as you have phone power. I used that a few times so I could watch the pressure differentials over time as I was riding to see if I was getting Peter A’s 4psi increase. Normally, I don’t have that set, so I check pressure before I leave and then just rely on FOBO to wake up and transmit a warning to my phone if pressure drops.

Thanks for the compliment. I do try to help where possible, if I have personal detailed knowledge.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-02-2023 at 05:12 PM. Reason: ?;) !! %-/
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Thank you for coming out and saying that! I myself think Fobo's are like Dampers(how'd I do this time Ron?) Keep it simple and don't give yourself something else to have to watch and maintain. What did we do before all of this crap? Keep it stupid simple!!! But at the end of the day, your money and your piece of mind. Good day!
    “Something else to watch and maintain”, Mikey? If I didn’t have FOBO, I would be watching and maintaining my tyre pressure by getting down on my one bionic knee (that I can’t kneel on), and my other busted knee to check pressures before each ride. That would add 10 painful minutes to each ride. If that works for you, that’s great, but there are other people in the world with different limitations to you. For them, this is not crap, but a boon. Please don’t judge the whole world based on your individual view of it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    “Something else to watch and maintain”, Mikey?

For them, this is not crap, but a boon. Please don’t judge the whole world based on your individual view of it.

Pete
    Hell Ya! BOOM

I dont call my F3 my Mobility Scooter for nothing.
    If I were able I would still be riding my GL1800, but for me well it was time.

Just like many other Spyder Riders..........

Not seeking any kudos for spending some $$ of a farkle that I can brag about and show my mates at all.

I have always checked the tyre pressures on my bikes every day before I ride and will continue to do just that.
    If I dont have to get way down there its great, as long as I know its up to pressure im happy.
    More check - great. Move on.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    “Something else to watch and maintain”, Mikey? If I didn’t have FOBO, I would be watching and maintaining my tyre pressure by getting down on my one bionic knee (that I can’t kneel on), and my other busted knee to check pressures before each ride. That would add 10 painful minutes to each ride. If that works for you, that’s great, but there are other people in the world with different limitations to you. For them, this is not crap, but a boon. Please don’t judge the whole world based on your individual view of it.

Pete
    Pete if you think you have to check your tire pressure before every ride, then you need FOBO's. P.S, I have two of those knee's your talking about and I may only check my pressures, two or three times a season! Works for me!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Pete if you think you have to check your tire pressure before every ride, then you need FOBO's. P.S, I have two of those knee's your talking about and I may only check my pressures, two or three times a season! Works for me!!
    Fair call, Mikey. In reality, I probably only have to add air a couple of times a season (not that we have riding seasons out here).

BUT……I would rather not leave home and head out on a multi hour ride without a cursory glance at whether my tyres are in the ballpark of psi. How do you know that your tyres don’t have a nail or screw in them that has dropped the psi a few pounds before you head out, and will cause you grief later that day, if you don’t check pressures before you leave home? Especially at the rear tyre, where it would be virtually impossible on an RT-L to find, let alone plug, once you are on the road? So yes, I think I should check my psi every time I leave home…..so yes, I need FOBO, and I am sure there are many others who think the same way and don’t see them as an unnecessary technological farkle

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another question, my flip phone, Verizon carrier, Orbic phone, has a Blue Tooth setting, that's how it comes thru the radio in the car. Wonder if the FOBO will communicate with my flip????????????????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Another question, my flip phone, Verizon carrier, Orbic phone, has a Blue Tooth setting, that's how it comes thru the radio in the car. Wonder if the FOBO will communicate with my flip????????????????
    I believe it only works with iOS or Android, Dean.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete, you are right.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    During all my first rear tire swaps I drilled a new " air valve hole " on the opposite side of the wheel and put in an angled ( 87* ) metal valve from " Kurvey Girl " .... problem solved .... Mike

I'm interested in this concept as I have gazed at the rim and thought 'what if?' You have done it; it seems.

So I will ask for a 2nd time...

Care to put up a photo so we can view where you placed it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2023 at 03:54 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

After this discussion I'm thinking of getting a FOBO with 4 sensors and putting one on the rear airbag of my F3L in addition to the 3 wheels. Only problem I can see is they have a pressure limit of 50PSI.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I'm interested in this concept as I have gazed at the rim and thought 'what if?' You have done it; it seems.

So I will ask for a 2nd time...

Care to put up a photo so we can view where you placed it?
    I would love to put up a Photo ...... However, my talents are elsewhere... ..... Sorry .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2023 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would love to put up a Photo ...... However, my talents are elsewhere... ..... Sorry .... Mike
    OK, fair enough.

So perhaps you can expand for me, and for any others who may be interested...

The opposite side of the wheel???

ie, the same side as the OEM valve but 180° around; or on the inside - the brake side of the rim, but 180° around?

Which is where I said himm??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2023 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display; Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

OK, fair enough.

So perhaps you can expand for me, and for any others who may be interested...

The opposite side of the wheel???

ie, the same side as the OEM valve but 180° around; or on the inside - the brake side of the rim, but 180° around?

Which is where I said himm??
    Well you know where the OEM valve is ????? ..... well it's on the opposite side from that ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-05-2023 at 09:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Well that confirms some thoughts I have had for a while now.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Iso
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2023 at 02:43 PM. Reason: ?? Rule 3; 9; 10 warnings...
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Well that confirms some thoughts I have had for a while now.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Iso
    your welcome ..... if you are considering doing this, you MUST place the new valve at least ONE INCH from the wheel LIP ..... so a hydraulic tire changer won't hit it .... also put 180 degree's from the other one, this will help balance the entire thing .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
    After this discussion I'm thinking of getting a FOBO with 4 sensors and putting one on the rear airbag of my F3L in addition to the 3 wheels. Only problem I can see is they have a pressure limit of 50PSI.
    Smokes, I’m not sure where you saw that figure of 50psi, but I can assure you that I had my ‘16 F3-L airbag pressure set to 70psi on FOBO…and my ‘21 RT-L pressure monitor is set to 60psi +/- 25psi.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2023 at 04:13 PM. Reason: stuttering... :p
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

To tell you the truth, I look down at my tire before I jump on, most people can tell if they have a slack tire, if it looks good, I ride. I have got down a checked my tires several times when I first got my bike and you know what I found, it didn't change from the first time, other than the air I lost when I was trying to get the darn gauge on the stem! It's your money, buy the FOBO's and have that piece of mind if you want; me set it and forget it unless there's a BIG temp change! Ride more, worry less! PS. I know I am about to get flamed but, a question for anyone that wants to be real, anyone one that runs the FOBO's, how many times do you have to make a change in pressure in a season? Truthfully
    Washed the the bike today and checked the tire pressure, first time in 18 months and yes the tire pressure was spot on. What a pain in the ass that rear tire is!
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    Washed the the bike today and checked the tire pressure, first time in 18 months and yes the tire pressure was spot on. What a pain in the ass that rear tire is!
    Thats what I am talking about, thank you!! Ride more worry less!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thats what I am talking about, thank you!! Ride more worry less!!
    Hahaha……no worries AT ALL, if you are running FOBO, Mikey.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I'm disabled (double below knee amputee) and getting down to the ground and getting up again is extremely difficult for me. I installed a Fobo2 system so I only have to get down on the ground if the rear tire needs attention. I highly recommend this product!
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

I am like Micky above and give the tires a look and a kick then get on and ride. I take a pressure reading perhaps twice or three times the most per year. May have to add 2-3 lbs. per year. All those that have spent the money to monitor tire pressure, how often do you have to add air???. I do ride most days and do take multi day trips. I can see those do not ride often and bike just sits in garage more often may have pressure concerns.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    I am like Micky above and give the tires a look and a kick then get on and ride. I take a pressure reading perhaps twice or three times the most per year. May have to add 2-3 lbs. per year. All those that have spent the money to monitor tire pressure, how often do you have to add air???. I do ride most days and do take multi day trips. I can see those do not ride often and bike just sits in garage more often may have pressure concerns.
    Baxter, there are always 2 sides to every story…….

The point of FOBO is not so much to tell you when you are down a psi (yes, air loss under normal circumstances is minimal and only requires rare top up), but to tell you when there is a potential serious issue before you leave home (similar to you checking and kicking the tyre each time you ride, but a tad more accurate)……..and to tell you when there is a potential issue while on the road, before you lose a tyre in a remote location due to a slow puncture. You don’t mention which Spyder you ride, but in the case of the ‘20+ RT, it is next to impossible to get at the tyre to find, let alone fix, a flat.

It is insurance, and in my case, an insurance that is cost justifiable.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

While I now have my FOBO units im deciding if I will add another valve and fit it to that.

Also....

You must have seen truckers hitting the tyres with a stick.

Once aired up correctly, now remember that tone.... ya see where im going..

Wonder if that may be a more thrifty way to keep up with the current pressures. Tap tap. Yep sounds right.
    2017 F3 Ltd