Spyder Garage

Default Brake failure message - could the low pressure switch be bad?

I have tried the fix by holding down the brake for 30 sec. did not clear the message. I just had the dealer flush and bleed my brakes not more than 300 miles ago. Could my low-pressure brake switch be bad? I don't know where it is located to check it. I have 2008 GS 990 with SM5. Can't believe my brake fluid needs bleeding so soon.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2023 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You don’t say which code is giving you the brake failure message. It could also be simply due to low brake fluid level. On Spyders that have the older style brake fluid reservoir with the two black caps, the fluid level needs to be really high. Don’t go by the marks on the side of the plastic tank. And, it doesn’t take very much. Plus, look at those level sensors inside of the reservoir and make sure that the little white float isn’t stuck. Top off your brake fluid first. And check the seal on the underside of the cap to see if it unfolded. Just push it back in. It will snap back into shape.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-27-2023 at 06:17 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    You don’t say which code is giving you the brake failure message. It could also be simply due to low brake fluid level. On Spyders that have the brake fluid reservoir under the seat, the fluid level needs to be really high. Don’t go by the marks on the side of the plastic tank. And, it doesn’t take very much. Plus, look at those level sensors inside of the reservoir and make sure that the little white float isn’t stuck. Top off your brake fluid first. And check the seal on the underside of the cap to see if it unfolded. Just push it back in. It will snap back into shape.
    Brake fluid is supposed to go down as the pads wear. Adding fluid is not going to change anything as there is no sensor that high up in the reservoir. In terms of operation, this liquid level sensor is submerged or floats in your bike’s brake fluid and senses when it drops below a certain safe level. At this point, the sensor then sends a signal to your vehicle's dashboard, where a light indicating your brake fluid is short should come on. This happens when the pads are so worn out that they need replacing which will raise the level back up when the pistons are compressed back into the calipers.

When doing most any service to Spyders you need to be able to plugs it into the BUDS system to reset systems on the bike.

The only reason to add fluid is when you’re flushing it.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 06-26-2023 at 10:22 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

FW - his brake fluid reservoir is the same design as your ST. I made a general statement about “under the seat”. That was incorrect. I’ve edited that post. His sensors, like the ST, are very high in the reservoir chamber, and there are hundreds of people on here that can attest to having to add fluid periodically between flushes, in order to account for normal pad wear, after receiving the brake failure warning. Depending on how full the dealer left his, it’s worth a check before he goes tearing into it. You have a good day, now.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-26-2023 at 12:54 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Park on good level surface & check fluid first. Check your pads
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Csji-2tfwAQ&feature=share7 Then maybe proceed to deeper if code still there. ** also make sure the floats are not stuck**
    Last edited by Bfromla; 06-26-2023 at 02:14 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack