Spyder Garage

Default Any 2020-2023 RT Tall Riders out there?? Need advice?

Hey everyone,
    I’m looking at picking up an RT, would like a 2020 or newer, and I’m leaning towards the base model as I ride solo and don’t need the rear top case. I’m 6’5”, just wondering if there are any tall riders out there on these year models. I had a 2011 RT (Audio & Convenience) when I was still married and I sat on a 23 RT, and it felt slightly smaller, but I could be wrong. Appreciate any advice. Thanks, Pikester
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2023 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2023 F3-T , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I’m looking at picking up an RT, would like a 2020 or newer, and I’m leaning towards the base model as I ride solo and don’t need the rear top case. I’m 6’5”, just wondering if there are any tall riders out there on these year models. I had a 2011 RT (Audio & Convenience) when I was still married and I sat on a 23 RT, and it felt slightly smaller, but I could be wrong. Appreciate any advice. Thanks, Pikester
    What’s your inleg, Pikester? That’s the key measurement. I have managed to make my ‘21 RTL fit me (37” inleg), by getting a custom seat that lifts me an inch, and also taking the thick rubber pedal pad off and replacing it with a thinner one. BUT…..I have bad ankles, so my ankle bend is poor, which is what makes brake adjustments necessary…..you may not have the same issue.

The longer boards on the ‘20+ RT are fabulous. I have found no need for highway pegs on long trips due to the movement you can get on the boards, even with size 15 boots. I did have to buy Helibars though, to get a great wrist arm angle. Once again, you may be able to get away with a cheaper option for bars.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I'm a short 6'0" rider. As Pete said, the floorboards give long legs plenty of room. I had to go with Heli-bars to get the most relaxed position for my wrists.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

HELLO. What would you like to know? I am 6'6" and yes, this bike is not quite made for us! It is more comfortable than the '15 RTS I owned, but you're still locked in as there's not much room to move around.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2023 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Caps ; ' 's ; & then... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'2 , a bit shorter than you and have a 22 RTL. I got the riser block from Lamonster to raise the handle bars, then went to Corbin and had a custom seat made. I had the front part of the seat "raised" about 2 inches when they made the seat. I have knee issues, and this made a big difference. I made a post about going to Corbin. here is the link to it:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...in-Custom-Seat
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    I'm 6'2 , a bit shorter than you and have a 22 RTL. I got the riser block from Lamonster to raise the handle bars, then went to Corbin and had a custom seat made. I had the front part of the seat "raised" about 2 inches when they made the seat. I have knee issues, and this made a big difference. I made a post about going to Corbin. here is the link to it:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...in-Custom-Seat
    Yes, that certainly seems to be the answer for taller riders on the ‘20+ RT, Kromm. Custom taller seat, and either risers or Helibars. Risers are a much better idea than rotating the bars, as their impact on wrist angle is minimal. Helibars are the Rolls Royce solution, with a Rolls Royce price tag, but worth every penny to me ……and once you are sitting a little taller those long floorboards really come into their own. Mind you, really tall riders over say 6’6” (although Shaq etc would not consider 6’7” as being really tall…….it’s all relative ) can’t use highway pegs anyway, as your boots are right up the front of the board and you are simply raising your boot on them, not stretching out any further. (Don’t ask me how I know ).
    I managed a bastardised highway peg that sits under the board (but you can’t use it if your inleg is less than 38”). However, I found I never use it now I have the taller seat.
    IMG_1109.jpg

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 06-29-2023 at 06:00 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    can’t use highway pegs anyway, as your boots are right up the front of the board and you are simply raising your boot on them, not stretching out any further. (Don’t ask me how I know)
    Pete
    I have been looking at highway pegs, but came to the conclusion that they wouldn't benefit me. The ones out there now don't give any more "Stretch" for leg room for us taller riders. Maybe with this being said, someone with the means and capability can design and make a set that extend out in front of the floor boards for us taller riders. (Hint,Hint)..
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    I have been looking at highway pegs, but came to the conclusion that they wouldn't benefit me. The ones out there now don't give any more "Stretch" for leg room for us taller riders. Maybe with this being said, someone with the means and capability can design and make a set that extend out in front of the floor boards for us taller riders. (Hint,Hint)..
    I tried that, Kromm. I have several of Lamonster’s forward curved highway peg brackets in varying lengths. Once you get forward of the boards enough to give you a little more leg stretch, your boots are on the front guards. I tried steering with my boots on the guards, but it made steering and braking “difficult”.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I'm on a 2022 RTL, 6'6"

I did put a Corbin seat on it, which is more comfortable for me. Haven't put on highway pegs because they don't seem like I'd get much out of them

I love the top case. I like to be able to put a helmet, laptop bag, whatever, in there.

Spyder Garage

Default How I raised my seat height

Quote Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I am 6'2 with a 35 inseam and a bad (read pretty much destroyed) left knee after 6 surgeries, the first 2 of which failed miserably. So, I needed room to stretch. I had a BMW R1200 GS Adventure which fit me perfectly in the high seat position - but I couldn't get my left foot on the peg after all my knee work and had to give it up. I ended up with a 2021 RTL because I could ride it, but for such a big machine, it felt cramped.

I liked the Sea to Sky, but didn't like the color, so I opted for Marsala Red and ordered the factory hearted comfort seat and handlebar riser. I purchased a Wild-Ass seat cushion, which raised me a bit and helped, then ended up getting a Misty Mountain sheepskin seat cover which is awesome and raised me a bit more and made a big improvement.

20230511_135214.jpg

Someone else on this forum got a raised seat with the back pushed back an inch or so - I'd love to try it. For now, I am comfortable and can put a lot of miles on the bike with my wife on back in pretty good comfort
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black