Spyder Garage

Default Which Spyder - Tall Rider

Hello all. Tall rider here (6'4") but not new to riding (I've been riding for 12 years - currently ride a 2018 Gold Wing - I've also had a couple of HD Road Glides in the past). I had the chance a couple of weekends ago to demo ride both the 2023 RT Limited and 2023 F3 Limited at a local Can-Am Experience event. I'm leaning heavily on going the F3 Limited route due to leg comfort and feeling more in the bike (like my Road Glides) than on it (like my Gold Wing). Will I be "giving up" too much going the F3 Limited route? Can you do things, like moving the footboard/brake pedal forward and change out the seat to give you that "F3 Limited feeling" on a RT Limited?

TIA

(and if case you're wondering, 'hey, he has a Gold Wing, why in the world is he considering a Spyder?' - I was involved in a near fatal motorcycle accident 10 years ago which I was not at fault but continue to 'pay' daily for it - my left leg and knee will some day tell me my 2 wheel days are done and I'm not a fan of Gold Wing trikes)

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm 6'2 and as comfortable as the RT is to sit on I don't think it is as much as an enjoyable ride as the F3's lower center of gravity.

Every time I drive an RT and sitting on top of the tank instead of behind it, I feel like I always have to grip the tank with my legs to keep from getting thrown off even with leaning into the turn.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Gidday and welcome aboard.

This may assist. My last cruiser was an '09 GL1800 which I rode for a decade or so. I'm 6-2 and I popped the biggest F4 windscreen onto it. It was a great ride for sure.

Sadly, it began to be too much bike for me, getting older, and old injuries bla bla bla..

FF to Feb last year when I picked up a 2017 F3 Ltd. I went that way as I wanted the storage after the Wing. I kept the Wing for a while so I could be sure, but it was the right way to go. Didn't really want to part with the Wing, but it was time.

While I do like the F3, gone is the Majic Carpet Ride of the Wing. But it's OK, I guess.

Talk about wind on the F3.... Fixed with the biggest F4 and winglets.
    Now it's comfortable, visor up, no wind riding for me all day.

The foot position is adjustable. I have mine at position 4 I think it's called. 34" leg. I did have it at 5 but it was just that little bit too much, so yes, it's adjustable. I had to sort the brake bar length to suit my desired foot position, but it wasn't a biggie.

It takes a little more effort to ride these Spyders, as they don't tip in and there is no counter steering and stuff.
    More like a Quad. There are Gees.

If I had buckets-full of $$ to spend on bikes I would possibly go for Ultimate Floorboards, but I settled for the 3rd peg option as it assists me getting on and off. They work really well.

The seat. Yes, could be better, I guess. I had the stock on my Wing found it ok for me.
    Did a 7 hr total ride the other day on the F3, 1-1/2 hr off the Spyder; and yes, the last hr was getting a little uncomfortable. I just suck it up. May take the seat to a local trimmer and sort out some better foam or something. The shape is ok.

I guess you sorta know if it's the F3 or the RT having done a demo ride on both.

I maintained my Wing throughout my ownership. Thought that was a learning curve after Triumph Twins and Adventure bikes and other stuff over the last 50 yrs of wrenching and riding. Crikey doesn't time fly...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2024 at 08:10 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

New Spyder...
    Similar to you I rode a Goldwing F6B until an accident totaled the bike (sounds worse than it was luckily). Got healed up after about a year, got the "wind itch" and got the opportunity to take a weekend training course on Rykers/Spyders. That sealed it for me, going with a Spyder!
    At 6'2' I wanted to make sure about the comfort w/ reach of handlebars, footboards, brake pedal, wind shield, etc. Test rode RT and F3. Ended up with F3T and it is perfect for me.... admittedly, with a few mods and adjustments of course, as with any ride.
    A test ride will answer most your questions I expect, and you'll have fun!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2024 at 08:11 PM.
    2020 Spyder F3-T

Spyder Garage

I’ve got a few inches on you, New2Spyder, and have had an F3-L and currently a ‘21 RT-L.

I upgraded to the RT specifically because I am a big lad, and liked the longer rear shock, electronic screen, better weather protection and LED headlights on the new RT. I also found that at 6’7”, I looked like a camel riding a moped in the photos others took. The RT is a bulkier Spyder and reduces that “look”.

I found both the F3 and RT suitable for long distance touring.

You have more options re adjustable u-fit foot position with the F3, but the looooong boards of the RT work very well also. Working on the F3 is easier as you do not have to remove as many body panels to get at the internals. (The ‘21 RT models have external Tupperware, plus a large black cover panel behind the Tupperware that takes a little while to get off.)

So the only things you will effectively be “giving up”, by going with the F3 over the RT, are the longer shock (and you will most likely upgrade the F3 shock anyway), the electronic screen, some weather protection and the LED headlights. Go with your gut feel following your test ride…..you can’t really go wrong.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I bought our 2021 F3 Limited last year. I'm 6'3" and was surprised to find that the F3 was quite comfortable, although I went to the dealer intending to by an RT. The most important upgrades for me, relative to my height (Among other accessories), were:
    - Ultimate F3 floorboard (I used stock position 5 for a while, but needed the ability to move my feet up & back while riding for comfort)
    - Seat (custom seat made by Diamond seats where they use your height, weight, and inseam measurements to make your seat)
    - Taller windshield (I have a taller windshield plus an extension. I could opt for an even taller windshield w/o using the extension. But the extension works fine, and I wasn't ready to spend the $ for another windshield when the $20 extension works great.)
    - Sway-bar - better handling, perhaps related to size/weight. But everyone seems to like the BajaRon upgrade regardless of size)
    GR
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

This is really interesting reading about the tall fellas on F3's. I tried one and even with the pedals in the front-most position, my knees bang right against the ridge in the bodyside cladding. Very uncomfortable. I went with the RT and after I got my Corbin seat, the fit is almost perfect.

I think that the F3 is better looking -- my wife has one -- but the RT fits me better.
    2022 RT Limited - Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

I have an older RT and love it. My riding buddy has ridden goldwings for years. He kept looking at mine and finally went and bought a 2020 RT Limited which he loves. He still has his goldwing but has not ridden it since he purchased the RT. He is probably about 6'3" and he told me that if he could not sell the bikes he would not trade his RT for two new Goldwings. One other thing is that I think the RT has a little more storage room over the F3. (If a knowledgeable person disagrees with the storage I would stand to be corrected.) Good luck in your quest and just test ride both and make up your mind. I like the RT better because I feel crowded on the F3 but I do like the lower center of gravity.
    Leon
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iotanet View Post
    This is really interesting reading about the tall fellas on F3's. I tried one and even with the pedals in the front-most position, my knees bang right against the ridge in the bodyside cladding. Very uncomfortable.
    I'm 6'3"+ with long legs. I took a long test ride on a 2016 F3 and that ridge on the bodyside cladding did the same thing to me, hit right on the inside of both knees; darn sore after 25 miles. Have never had a sore ride on my RT.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As someone like you, I was a Goldwing rider also... I traded my 2012 Wing in for a 2022 RT Limited, I never tried sitting on a F3 simply because none of the dealers in the 50 mile radius had one on the showroom.
    As someone who stands 6' 6" and has a 37" in seam.
    I actually fit better on the RT than a Goldwing. Only thing is, there is no way to stretch out on a long ride.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

This winter I went looking for a second Spyder to go along with the current 2018 RTL Chrome that I bought in fall of 2020. I am 6'2" down from a younger 6'4" and around 220 pounds and will be 80 this summer. When I was shopping the first Spyder I sat on a Honda GW trike and it felt cramped with my legs way too far back under me.

Bought the 2018 Spyder RTL and have enjoyed it. Sway bar, tire car tires, and then shock preload adjusters. Each step improved handling in the twisties and stability around semis on the freeway.

I thought about upgrading to the newer gen Spyder and made an offer to a dealer that they did not take. This winter I decided that I wanted a second one for my summer home up North. I sat on a F3 and thought that my back would not like long rides in the "laid back" position with feet not under me. Sat on a 2023 and thought the dash appeared farther away (and I took my trike class on a new 2021 in the fall of 2020, deciding it would need higher handlebars, maybe from an F3, as in tight turns the bar end hit me on my thigh).

Found a really good deal on another 2018 RTL and could not be any happier.

A word on riding a Spyder: You glide it on the highway, if you try to really steer it, it will be all over the road. Want to go left, push forward a bit on the right hand bar and the other way around. In the twisties you ride it like a snowmobile, shifting your weight to the inside on a corner.

Good luck on your choice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2024 at 01:27 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

We haven’t heard from New2Spyder since his very first post, either as a follow up post, or a like or thanks tick. I wonder what happened to him?

Oh, and TroubledJuan, re your comment about not being able to stretch out on the ‘21+ RT, I have found you don’t need to stretch out in front as those floorboards give you so much room to shift your boots around. I tried every option for highway bars, but none of them worked well. I ended up mounting a couple of pegs just under the floor boards so I can stretch my legs down to full length occasionally, but on a recent 7 hour day (and 7 hour return), I didn’t use those pegs at all, as being able to slide my boots forward and back gave me plenty of relief in between 2 hours riding stints…….just for info….

Ooooops….just an addendum…..and a key one which I forgot. I also have a Russell DayLong, which lifts me 2” and gives me 1/2” extra rearward (that’s all they could get). This makes a big difference too.

PeteIMG_2268.jpg
    Last edited by Peteoz; 03-14-2024 at 04:48 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'5", coming from a Harley Road King (and other cruisers) and the RT LTD fits me perfectly. The windscreen is plenty high so I don't get any buffeting, and I guess I like leaning forward into turns so I don't have any issues feeling like I'm being thrown off. I've sat on the F3 and I think I'd personally get tired in that position.
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroubledJuan View Post
    ...I actually fit better on the RT than a Goldwing. Only thing is, there is no way to stretch out on a long ride.
    I've never missed or wanted to ride with my legs stretched out because I learned controlling the bike by squeezing the tank with my knees and still do that when the exhilaration factor arises. I also am not comfortable with my legs splayed out using highway pegs. Don't have as much to stretch out as you do either.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I've never missed or wanted to ride with my legs stretched out because I learned controlling the bike by squeezing the tank with my knees and still do that when the exhilaration factor arises. I also am not comfortable with my legs splayed out using highway pegs. Don't have as much to stretch out as you do either.
    Stretching out tends to be done on the freeway, or a long straight road, so there is no need to grip the tank with your knees in that situation, Jaybros. It’s a short term thing just to give your legs a stretch, not a “let’s ride like this for the next half hour” thing

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    I'm 6'5", coming from a Harley Road King (and other cruisers) and the RT LTD fits me perfectly. The windscreen is plenty high so I don't get any buffeting, and I guess I like leaning forward into turns so I don't have any issues feeling like I'm being thrown off. I've sat on the F3 and I think I'd personally get tired in that position.
    Having ridden both the ‘21+ RT and the F3-L long distances, Two2Three, I can say first hand that there is no difference in “tiredness” levels. They both do it well. You really don’t have your feet way out in front of you on the F3, as there is still a fair knee bend……unless you have highway pegs and are stretching, or you are 5’ tall and are using position 5 on your F3 of course

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.