Spyder Garage

Default After suggestions on Essential Tools to carry?

I'm a new owner of a new 2022 F3T.

Are there any suggestions on the most essential tools to carry on a week-end trip?

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-18-2023 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

AMA Membership card, cordless tire pump, factory tool kit, work gloves (so I don't get oil or grease on my driving/ryding gloves).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I carry 2 12mm wrenches in case of parking brake trouble. I also carry a small electric screwdriver and a #30 torx bit to speed plastic removal, AMA card, Credit card, air pump, tire plug kit.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You are most likely going to find minimal things here.

Unfornately, Spiders are technical wonders for most of us. Others of us cannot get down on the ground or tear off the plastic to get to the problem. A credit card, and a cell phone come to mind for me. Been driving Spyders since they came out. Twelve years in Alaska included. Never had a breakdown that left me stranded anywhere. Lucky for me....I cannot fix the thing anyway. 200,000 Spyder miles on seven various...and I have been good to go.

The good side....We hear very few major issues with them. The biggest complaint these days is the supply chain, and the competency of many of the dealers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My advice...., a can of fix-a-flat, some fuses, and knowledge. The first two are obvious and, probably, the only things you can do by yourself on the roadside. Know how your machine sounds and feels, know how far it will go on a tankfull of gas, and know the BRP roadside assistance phone number (keep it in your cellphone).

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I probably carry more tools that I need. But after hearing of problems with the parking brake release, I recently added a spring hook. That way if I ever need to manually unhook the spring I'm hoping this could make it easier. But hoping I won't need it. Those of you who have had to unhook the parking brake spring can tell me if this would help or not? SpringHook_1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Also download the service manual to your phone and get familiar with it, take screenshots of the fuse box section.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2023 at 03:52 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    I probably carry more tools that I need. But after hearing of problems with the parking brake release, I recently added a spring hook. That way if I ever need to manually unhook the spring I'm hoping this could make it easier. But hoping I won't need it. Those of you who have had to unhook the parking brake spring can tell me if this would help or not? SpringHook_1.jpg
    All you need to unhook is the cable, two 12mm wrenches. If the caliper is working right just unhook the cable and the brake should release, make sure you have something under the tires if you're on a hill or you may get run over, then you may need a first-aid kit in your bag of tricks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2024 at 07:26 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

A few of the more popular wrenches. I carry metric and SAE.

Screwdriver handle with torx, phillips, and other tips in a side pouch.

Flat tire repair kit and CO2 to air up. Pliers, few other items.

This is on the bottom of the frunk. Plenty of room on a Spyder to carry anything you want to.

Got some Zip Ties, a roll of electrical tape, baling wire, and a few of the common small nuts and bolts too.

Not in the tool bag, but on long trips, always carry water with you. I usually tie a 2-liter military canteen on the luggage rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2024 at 07:28 PM. Reason: hes.I c...; yhti... ;-)
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all your advice and knowledge. I probably carrying more tools than I need, I also overpack clothing on trips. I really need to work on that so I don't overload my new f3t. Thank you everyone, maybe I'll have a useful tip someday.

Spyder Garage

I would guess that a dead battery, a flat tire, and parking brake problems would have to be the top three concerns, so carrying a few things to get you back on the road if those occur without an expensive tow bill is a good idea. I also carry a small Med kit with typical band-aids, ACE wrap, and pain killers. I’m not qualified for roadside surgery but if I should be out and about far from home, decide to do something off the bike for further sightseeing, and happen to hurt myself in such a way, then I would like a quick fix to drive home without further complications. Lastly, I carry a couple of bottles of water and some gloves. I keep all of this in a small fabric automotive trunk organizer that fits in one of my panniers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2024 at 07:32 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Rather than adjusting the parking brake to release the tension you can just remove this bolt and the arm. I took this pic as I was putting it back together, so the spring was not on yet. Using this method also makes it easy to remove the spring once the bolt is out. Uses the same 12mm wrench (at least on my 2018 F3L)

IMG_8181.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2024 at 11:58 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Duct tape… baling wire or zip ties, and a leatherman.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I carry the following on my 2023 F3 LTD Special Series:

(also on my sled) a smart battery power pack that has: mini jumper clamps; built-in LED flashlight; & recharges from any standard USB power port, cigarette lighter outlet, or included wall charger - Power 200 amps continuous/400 Peak amps.

(Off topic: I also have a 2020 Ski Doo Renegade 900 N/A sled and I take the power pack plus a set of jumper cables, which I have not had to use yet, with me when I go on the trails).

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 01-21-2024 at 12:55 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

While not Spyder specific, my toolkit has stayed the same (mostly) for years. Even if just riding local I carry it always. Inflator, tire pressure gauge, plug kit, insta-flat, 9 in 1 screwdriver, essential wrenches, small vice grips, leatherman, zip ties, fuses, JB weld, duct tape, electrical tape, jumper cable. Although I don't ride off road anymore, Murphys law says I'll bust something, somehow, someday and these tools have always gotten me home. And yes, AAA, my cell phone, and some cash will get you there 99% of the time. But the middle of Nevada, NoCal, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and many other western areas have many spots where you won't get any help, cell service, or a tow truck. If you never take your toolkit off the bike it will always be there. And it all fits in a tiny bag. My 2 cents.

And I carry almost the same kit in my car.
    2019 Spyder F3
    Previous
    2023 Tiger 1200 Explorer
    2022 Honda Goldwing
    2020 BMW 1200RT
    2020 BMW K1600
    2018 BMW 1000XR
    2018 FJR
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2013 Tiger 800
    2012 Triumph Trophy 1200
    More that I can't remember right now.