Spyder Garage

Default Does Belt Tension Vary with the wheel on the ground or in the air?

I’ve noticed that if I jack up the frame so that the rear wheel is off the ground, the belt tension is quite a bit less than with the full weight on the wheel. That being said, should the tension be adjusted while jacked up or not? Also does the tension increase when sitting on the bike, and even more so with a passenger?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-18-2023 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

It varies considerably. Sitting on the ground mine has a tension of arguably 150 pounds. Jacked so the rear wheel is off the ground it has no tension at all, you can move the belt with your finger. I suppose that in an ideal world it would never vary. But that would require the swing arm pivot to be concentric with the front sprocket. That would set off a whole host of other problems.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

You can do it either way. Tension value needs to be adjusted depending on which condition your belt is in when measured. As chipveres states. Tension varies with swingarm movement because the front pulley and the front swingarm pivot points are not the same. BRP values are given for wheel off the ground measurement. But this can be extrapolated to a wheel on the ground value. The wide spread in acceptable tension make an exact adjustment unnecessary.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can do it either way. Tension value needs to be adjusted depending on which condition your belt is in when measured. As chipveres states. Tension varies with swingarm movement because the front pulley and the front swingarm pivot points are not the same. BRP values are given for wheel off the ground measurement. But this can be extrapolated to a wheel on the ground value. The wide spread in acceptable tension make an exact adjustment unnecessary.
    ... I use 160 +/- lbs. with wheel on-the-ground .... some here even use less with WOTG .... Mike

Spyder Garage

IMG_5774.jpg This thing is the bomb for adjusting things! Wheel on the ground PLUS you can have it running in first gear. I still chock the fronts though.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.