Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealers are refusing to work on Old Spyders!

I need the brake fluid changed in my 2012 Spyder RTL. I know how to do it. Except for the part needing BUDS as I don't have that software. I called the Spyder dealer who has done work for me in the past to see what they would charge me for this service. They informed me that they don't work on Spyders older than 2014. I have heard of this from others but had not run into it before. In over 50 years of riding I have only owned 1 new bike, but many over 10 years old and have never before had any trouble getting them worked on if I found something I was not equipped to handle. I am getting too old to crawl around on the cement anymore. I always thought my riding days would end when I could no longer get on and ride, not when I could no longer find service for it or do it myself. What a disgusting turn of events.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The brake fluid remaining in the system, if you change it without the use of BUDS should be such a minute (very small) amount that it would not matter much. The new brake fluid added will dilute any fluid remaining in the system and it will be almost as effective as a fluid change by the dealer. If you are still concerned about getting almost every drop of the old fluid out, then change the fluid, ride the Spyder for a couple of days, and change it again. Brake fluid is so inexpensive, it will not cost much to do it twice.

If you have installed speed bleeders, the whole job will take less than an hour, even if you have never done it before. No sense in getting rid of an older bike, that is otherwise in good working order just because the dealer won't work on them. I still have a Harley the dealerships stopped working on 10 years ago. Aftermarket parts keep it going. Not as many aftermarket for the Spyder, but ebay and some salvage places have some parts.

Don't crawl around on the cement. Get a really nice mechanics seat with wheels and a good creeper.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 06-09-2023 at 12:35 PM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    The brake fluid remaining in the system, if you change it without the use of BUDS should be such a minute (very small) amount that it would not matter much. The new brake fluid added will dilute any fluid remaining in the system and it will be almost as effective as a fluid change by the dealer. If you are still concerned about getting almost every drop of the old fluid out, then change the fluid, ride the Spyder for a couple of days, and change it again. Brake fluid is so inexpensive, it will not cost much to do it twice.

If you have installed speed bleeders, the whole job will take less than an hour, even if you have never done it before. No sense in getting rid of an older bike, that is otherwise in good working order just because the dealer won't work on them. I still have a Harley the dealerships stopped working on 10 years ago. Aftermarket parts keep it going. Not as many aftermarket for the Spyder, but ebay and some salvage places have some parts.

Don't crawl around on the cement. Get a really nice mechanics seat with wheels and a good creeper.
    100% .... even without BUDS for the ABS, JMHO you achieve 99% of your braking ability .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you are just flushing fluid. You can do the VSS unit without using BUDS. If you need to bleed air from the system. Then you must have BUDS.

I think it's pretty cold that the dealers are not working on their own product if it is over 10 years old.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

This stinks, and not very inspiring to a new F3S owner.I I haven't even picked mine
    up yet. Having to wait 2 weeks to build it, might have been my 1st clue.
    BajaRon, I see your in Greenville. This could be hard on my bank account since I live in Piney Flats TN
    LOL

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Just using Google maps, I see four motorcycle mechanics within 20 miles of you. If one of these is the dealer who refused to work on your Spyder, there are still three people who are willing to eat his lunch for him.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    This stinks, and not very inspiring to a new F3S owner.I I haven't even picked mine
    up yet. Having to wait 2 weeks to build it, might have been my 1st clue.
    BajaRon, I see your in Greenville. This could be hard on my bank account since I live in Piney Flats TN
    LOL
    Just 40 miles and about an hours ride. Come and see us! Glad to meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    Just using Google maps, I see four motorcycle mechanics within 20 miles of you. If one of these is the dealer who refused to work on your Spyder, there are still three people who are willing to eat his lunch for him.
    Unfortunately, this policy has become more and more prevalent. I'm seeing it all over. And not just for Spyders. Locally, Honda and Kawasaki dealerships as well.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-09-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

I can understand the "ten year rule" to an extent. Most younger techs have little clue on how to work on bikes older than that, especially a bike with carburetors. Ethanol is murder on carbs, but yet people refuse to use a fuel treatment and leave a bike sit for months. There is more to cleaning a clogged up carb than pouring carb cleaner in it. Disassembly and often parts replaced is the ONLY proper way. Young techs aren't interested and customers balk at the hourly rate for this job. Some jets, needles, floats, etc. are near impossible to find. Ten year old bikes often have rubber bits such as carb and airbox boots that have gotten hard and cracked with age. That equals an air leak that needs repaired for proper running. Rubber brake hoses are shot. Chains, sprockets, etc. are shot. I've been accused many times of trying to rip off a customer when I point these items out or when the bike isn't running right because of these issues. I get an old bike in for tires or an oil change and it gets a good going over, doesn't take long. I RECOMMEND things that should get attention for safety reasons or because they are going to fail soon. Whether you have us repair them or not is up to you, but don't scream and rant and call me a thief. Another reason. Parts. Parts can be hard to come by. Last season we had a 1200 Goldwing set in the shop for four months while we tracked down a rear drive with good splines. You may think they are a dime a dozen, but they're not. Most are worn out. The guy was understanding and knew what we were trying to do for him. Lots of folks would have thrown a fit and accused us of trying to pull some kind of fast one. You would be amazed at the number of folks who drag Dad or Grandpa's old bike that hasn't seen daylight for fifteen years out of the garage and expect us to get it on the road for $100. We work on old bikes, but you will be told upfront to expect suggestions on safety items, or to expect to possibly wait for parts. Leave it or take it home, the choice is yours. If you leave it the job will be done right and the work guaranteed. Dealerships need to move product and get the most bikes through service as quickly as they can in order to survive. They don't want to work on old bikes. Find an independent mechanic and they are more likely to work for you and much more likely to know how to work on your bike because most of them have been twisting wrenches for decades. The owner of the shop where I help out at times is 65 and talking about hanging it up. This area will be screwed. Oh yeah, we don't work on Spyders. Mostly because there is a dealer near us that has very good techs and they send us lots of folks with old bikes.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I have high hopes for my Dealership. Can't complain yet,except 2 weeks to build.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the refusal has to do with the 998 twin version of the Spyders. What a shame for the owners that have a problem not able to do it themselves. Of which I am one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dang Paul, that sucks. Sure hope you get it sorted out, I can sure relate about getting up under that creature. I'm certainly in that age bracket, still changing the oil, but even that gets more difficult. Hope some of these suggestions work for you. Keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

As a retired Mechanic, and 66 yo I find it less and less fun to do maintenance on all of my vehicles and equipment. The thing is though, I just hate to have work done on my stuff, knowing that they won't be as meticulous in the service as I would. I don't have my Spyder yet, but unless I can't possibly do a particular job, I'll be doing it myself. Since I love working on motorcycles in the convenience of my garage with some good tunes playing. It's therapeutic to me. When you do your own service, you can take your time, and give the machine a real going over.
    I admit it hurts afterwards sometimes depending on the job, but I can still muster up a smile, that I did it myself, and avoided the dealership once more. I guess I'm going to have to buy some type of lift for the spyder and a diagnostic tool. I'm pretty sure this will be my last endeavor into motorcycling purchasing. At least I hope so. For me the F3S is going to suit me perfect. I'm actually looking forward to learning all about the mechanical aspects of it. I got my shop all squared away, neat and clean in anticipation of the Spyders arrival next Saturday. Cheers!
    Last edited by Dasmoetorhead; 06-10-2023 at 07:30 AM.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    I have high hopes for my Dealership. Can't complain yet,except 2 weeks to build.
    You are lucky. My riding buddies wife was having to wait from February until August for her 2022 F3 last year. It started out with a delivery date of June and was pushed out. Finally she found a F3S at a dealership about 20 miles further out and decided to go that way. She still had to wait 3 weeks from crate time to taking delivery.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    You are lucky. My riding buddies wife was having to wait from February until August for her 2022 F3 last year. It started out with a delivery date of June and was pushed out. Finally she found a F3S at a dealership about 20 miles further out and decided to go that way. She still had to wait 3 weeks from crate time to taking delivery.
    Oh dang! I hope my dealership stays on schedule. In the meantime I've been pouring over this forum, buying new riding gear for myself, and a few things for the bike like saddle bags and backrest,and I think I've watched 100 ytube videos about the F3S. I'm super stoked about it, but the wait is killing me lol. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

I am lucky that my dealer has no problem working on my older Spyder. They all want me to hit over 100,000 miles on it this summer. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I understand the reasoning behind the policy, I just don't agree with it. I really do appreciate your suggestions and concern. I know how to do most of the maintenance stuff and have the tools, and seats, and jacks, and ramps, and creepers. What I don't have and am just starting to come to grips with is that I don't have the most important tool of all, the body. For a veriaty of medical reasons. I have said this before people like Bikerbillone who are older then I am are heros to me,because they can still function. And really I am just whining in the wind here because I am being forced to come to grips with my age and mortality. I'll get over it and get the work done this time myself. There is one independent power sports 10 miles from me In used to work for who may be willing to let me teach them what I know, I'll have to ask.Two of the Spyder dealers ( all are 50 to 100 miles away) are too expensive and one I wouldn't trust to put air in a tire right. There is also a Can Am sxs dealer about 15 miles away that said he was going to get a Spyder dealership, but got Vanderhall instead. Well that's enough whining, I have Spyder work to do,and it's a good riding day. Thanks for listening and offering some advice. Having a listening ear(or keyboard) is really great.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I understand the reasoning behind the policy, I just don't agree with it. I really do appreciate your suggestions and concern. I know how to do most of the maintenance stuff and have the tools, and seats, and jacks, and ramps, and creepers. What I don't have and am just starting to come to grips with is that I don't have the most important tool of all, the body. For a veriaty of medical reasons. I have said this before people like Bikerbillone who are older then I am are heros to me,because they can still function. And really I am just whining in the wind here because I am being forced to come to grips with my age and mortality. I'll get over it and get the work done this time myself. There is one independent power sports 10 miles from me In used to work for who may be willing to let me teach them what I know, I'll have to ask.Two of the Spyder dealers ( all are 50 to 100 miles away) are too expensive and one I wouldn't trust to put air in a tire right. There is also a Can Am sxs dealer about 15 miles away that said he was going to get a Spyder dealership, but got Vanderhall instead. Well that's enough whining, I have Spyder work to do,and it's a good riding day. Thanks for listening and offering some advice. Having a listening ear(or keyboard) is really great.
    Unfortunately, these days and in many places, it really doesn't matter what the customer thinks. Brutal truth....

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Unfortunately, these days and in many places, it really doesn't matter what the customer thinks. Brutal truth....
    I totally agree, BUT if the current customer base BLACKLISTS the dealer because of his policy....... I’d let it e known by ALL the local clubs! jmho fwiw

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT SE5, and if my dealer (40 miles away) refused to work on it, I'd be screwed for sure. The reasons given for NOT working on bikes older than 10 years sound okay, but in my opinion, they don't cut it. Parts availability? Lots of parts dealers out there... Knowledge of "older systems"? An official Can Am dealer has every bit of knowledge at their fingertips, even if involves a call to BRP. High prices? That's nothing new for the dealer I use. They do a good job, but the "wait time" can be horrendous, and the price will be high...but I know that going in. Not working on older Spyders is a strike against Can Am dealers in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I have a 2012 RT SE5, and if my dealer (40 miles away) refused to work on it, I'd be screwed for sure.
    I have a friend in Salisbury who takes his 2012 RT SE5 to Honda Can-Am of Winston-Salem, actually in Clemmons, and they work on it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have a friend in Salisbury who takes his 2012 RT SE5 to Honda Can-Am of Winston-Salem, actually in Clemmons, and they work on it.
    That's a pretty long haul! My challenge is that I'd have to have someone follow me to the dealership, and drive me back home...then drive me back to the dealership when the bike was ready. From here to Winston-Salem, its 258 miles. I'm going to search for Can Am dealers a bit closer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealers are a problem. Some of us are not close to a competent dealer, or any dealer. If ya gotta leave the machine that's a bigger problem. But it is what it is and so we adapt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I need the brake fluid changed in my 2012 Spyder RTL. I know how to do it. Except for the part needing BUDS as I don't have that software. I called the Spyder dealer who has done work for me in the past to see what they would charge me for this service. They informed me that they don't work on Spyders older than 2014. I have heard of this from others but had not run into it before. In over 50 years of riding I have only owned 1 new bike, but many over 10 years old and have never before had any trouble getting them worked on if I found something I was not equipped to handle. I am getting too old to crawl around on the cement anymore. I always thought my riding days would end when I could no longer get on and ride, not when I could no longer find service for it or do it myself. What a disgusting turn of events.
    It is ridiculous, it does make me wonder if BRP are behind this. So much for getting value out of ownership.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This 10 years or older rule is starting to play in the car arena also. My daughter just purchased a 2011 used SUV from a dealership. They gave her a 3 month 3000 mile warranty on the vehicle. Then 2 weeks after buying the vehicle she wanted them to check out a concern about her transmission. They had the nerve to say they didn't work on cars over 10 years old. I took the paperwork up to them, along with the SUV and after a little discussion, they were happy to check out our concerns.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

My question is who in this world would want a dealership with apprentices servicing their vehicle? They charge so much and pay pennies to the tech that you will not find a professional tech working in powersports dealers. If you can't do your own stuff, there are so many competent mechanics out there. Heck, if you live in Florida, I can help you with the Spyder!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-12-2023 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)