Spyder Garage

Default Is there an easy way for Battery Removal? How Long can it sit Battery Removed?

I need to change the battery on my 2012 RT SE5. It's deader than a doornail. I've seen several vids on removing the battery on this model, and they all require the removal of several body panels. Is there an easier way to remove/swap the battery? I know BRP moved the battery to the frunk in 2013, but mine is a 2012, so it's under the seat. Taking it to the dealer is out because they're 40+ miles away, and I'd have to leave it for God-knows-how-long (and have someone follow me up there, and take me home, then take me up there again to pick it up). My 2nd question is: once I remove the old battery, is there a time limit in installing the new one? Will it cause any issues if I don't install the new one for a couple hours (or more)?

Just added info... I've kept the battery on a tender, and started it at least 2-3 times a week during the winter and until now, and have taken several 30 min. rides. I've also used a charger (2 amp) in place of the tender, and the bike starts and runs, but when I turn it off, there's a beeping for about 15 seconds. It won't re-start until I've charged it again for several hours...which is why I believe the battery is dead.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Read your operator's guide, pg 137-139, for the complete instructions. If you don't have an operator's guide you can download one at this link: https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...tmp/2660EN.pdf. If the battery is completely shot, when you disconnect it you may lose any preselected radio stations and the correct time on the clock.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Read your operator's guide, pg 137-139, for the complete instructions. If you don't have an operator's guide you can download one at this link: https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...tmp/2660EN.pdf. If the battery is completely shot, when you disconnect it you may lose any preselected radio stations and the correct time on the clock.
    Thanks! I'll take a look at the manual, and give that method a try. I'll let you know how that process works out. I'm not concerned about losing radio stations because I never use the radio. LOL And I'd need to use binoculars to read the clock because the numbers are so small. :-)

Spyder Garage

The manual says to remove the rear side panel...but it looks like that requires a couple of other panels to be removed first. Changing the battery on a 2012 RT is a huge pain in the butt...very bad design by BRP. I'll get to removing the minimum number of panels so I'll have enough room to slide the battery up, over and out. I had the battery replaced a number of years ago while the bike was at the dealer for a few other things. It currently has a Yuasa battery, but I may use a less expensive replacement. I'll take the current battery with me to the auto parts store to make absolutely sure the new one has the exact same dimensions, CCA's, etc. Thanks for your suggestions. I've been riding for some years, but don't have the skills or the tools to do most work or repairs.

Spyder Garage

FCF9C8E7-3977-467C-B689-0FB577E16C04.jpegadd some star washers for better secure contact

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Good thought! Will do...

Spyder Garage

Got the battery coming in to a store by me...will pick it up on Monday, and if not raining, I'll install it (with the star washers on the posts). I'll hook up my 2Amp charger for a couple of hours, then start it up, and go for a test run. :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    Got the battery coming in to a store by me...will pick it up on Monday, and if not raining, I'll install it (with the star washers on the posts). I'll hook up my 2Amp charger for a couple of hours, then start it up, and go for a test run. :-)
    That's NOT long enough, by at least 6 hours, and even if the seller SAYS they charged it before sending it to you, &/or it reads 12.8 or preferably better volts when you finish your 'couple of hours charging', unless it gets a good solid 8 or so hours MINIMUM Charging time within the first few hours of it being put to use, you WILL be shortening its life, if not severely damaging it!! Batteries REALLY NEED to start out their service life FULLY CHARGED, and anything much less than a good solid 8 hours on a charger like that simply will NOT do that!

But it's your bike, battery, and money; and if you want to damage/destroy a new battery like that & toss good money down the drain.... AND put yourself thru the pain of having to replace another battery sooner than you would need to
    IF ONLY you'd just given this one a good charge before installing it/putting it to work!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2023 at 05:25 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Gee I dont know.

It seems that the STAR WASHERS are more important on this site than correctly preparing a new battery for install.

Whats that about?

I have never used a star washer on any motorcycle battery connection in the 50 years I have been fiddling with them and doing, almost all my own maintenance.

Not one has ever suffered from a battery connection loosening off.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Gee I dont know.

It seems that the STAR WASHERS are more important on this site than correctly preparing a new battery for install.

Whats that about?

I have never used a star washer on any motorcycle battery connection in the 50 years I have been fiddling with them and doing, almost all my own maintenance.

Yeah Iso, I know where you're coming from, BUT all those ^^ were OTHER makes of BIKES, weren't they!

If you go back thru the earlier posts about battery issues here, you'll notice that LOTS of Spyders had (& some new Spyders still do have!) loose battery terminal issues!! Personally, I reckon it's got something to do with slack pre-delivery work, but... Anyhow, there's a heap of very good reasons for all the frequent comments about star washers on battery terminals on this Can Am Spyder/Ryker Forum. Just another un-documented feature of our bikes?!

Mind you, at least to me, it does feel like there's almost as many warnings about properly preparing new batteries before installation too...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2023 at 06:27 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yeah I guess.

But I do wonder if the terminal was correctly installed in the first place.

The only thing the star washer achieves it stops it backing off. Giggling do that if correctly fitted???? Not sure about that.

I guess I may Get Spyder Educimated at some stage as I have installed a battery without any star washes.

Yeah. Shock Horror.

Time will tell.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

AAA nnndddd if members wish to jump in and say well it happened to me.

Please qualify that with the Torque value you applied to the bolts when fitting.

Apples with apples. Not I just did it up.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Gee I dont know.

Whats that about?

Interesting point of view ..... I do think ...Spyder NOT starting could be considered or causing " suffering " to some folks..... Especially those who are NOT Perfect or very, very lucky. ..... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting point of view ..... I do think ...Spyder NOT starting could be considered or causing " suffering " to some folks..... Especially those who are NOT Perfect or very, very lucky. ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Yup I guess not starting due to loose contacts would count, but were they fitted correctly in the first place?

Could be just not enough oomph, old tired or unprepared newer batteries.
    Bikes left for too long off a Maintainer. Who knows.

As Peter has already said...Personally, I reckon it's got something to do with slack per-delivery work.

I guess time will tell with my theory.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I dont consider attempting to complete jobs to a high standard, even if it takes a little more time or care a failing.
    I was taught "wrenching" by Elderly Old School Engineers when I was a teenager.
    No short cuts or 1/2 way that will do measures.

I make absolutely no apologies for attempting to continue those teachings on at all, and I recommend it to others.

Rip and bust to your hearts content. Each to their own.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Iso.....you are correct in what you say, BUT the way I see it, STAR washers are just another very cheap insurance policy.....I assume you do buy Insurance and that it is MORE than the minimum that is required by law.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Iso.....you are correct in what you say, BUT the way I see it, STAR washers are just another very cheap insurance policy.....I assume you do buy Insurance and that it is MORE than the minimum that is required by law.
    Well this is the last I will post on best practices. Cant fix some things, oh so true.

1- To assume makes...? ASS-... No law on that here. Seems your ASS again. Well all vehicles fully insured, no minimal insures.

2- "you are correct in what you say" - So why the comments?

3- How many bolts have you added star washes to, just the battery or gone over the whole bike, cheep insurance n all.

4 - I make absolutely no apologies for attempting to continue those teachings on at all, and I recommend it to others.

Rip and bust to your hearts content.

Each to their own.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-11-2023 at 03:01 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That's NOT long enough, by at least 6 hours, and even if the seller SAYS they charged it before sending it to you, &/or it reads 12.8 or preferably better volts when you finish your 'couple of hours charging', unless it gets a good solid 8 or so hours MINIMUM Charging time within the first few hours of it being put to use, you WILL be shortening its life, if not severely damaging it!! Batteries REALLY NEED to start out their service life FULLY CHARGED, and anything much less than a good solid 8 hours on a charger like that simply will NOT do that!

But it's your bike, battery, and money; and if you want to damage/destroy a new battery like that & toss good money down the drain.... AND put yourself thru the pain of having to replace another battery sooner than you would need to
    IF ONLY you'd just given this one a good charge before installing it/putting it to work!
    Good suggestion. I can charge it for 8-12 hours, then check the voltage before installing it. By the way, the "old" battery wasn't installed by me. It was done by a Can Am dealer, so I had no opportunity to charge it before installation. And the "old" battery (the one I just took out) was on a tender, and occasionally on a 2A charger. That battery lasted a solid 6 years without an issue. I'm an old retired guy, and I don't have ANY money to waste or throw away, believe me. That's why I ask for advice in these great forums.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    BBB you are .. &......... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Got the new battery installed, all the electricals reconnected, and the body panels back in place. The bike starts perfectly. HOWEVER, it seems like I've developed a new issue. I'm getting a "parking brake fault", and when I turn the bike off, it beeps for about 20 seconds. When I push the parking brake switch, the little red light may or may not come on. Since I can ride the bike without any indication that the parking brake is on, it could be just not functioning. Could I have messed something up when replacing the battery, or removing the panels, or disconnecting/reconnecting the electricals?