Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Is there an easy way for Battery Removal? How Long can it sit Battery Removed?

I need to change the battery on my 2012 RT SE5. It's deader than a doornail. I've seen several vids on removing the battery on this model, and they all require the removal of several body panels. Is there an easier way to remove/swap the battery? I know BRP moved the battery to the frunk in 2013, but mine is a 2012, so it's under the seat. Taking it to the dealer is out because they're 40+ miles away, and I'd have to leave it for God-knows-how-long (and have someone follow me up there, and take me home, then take me up there again to pick it up). My 2nd question is: once I remove the old battery, is there a time limit in installing the new one? Will it cause any issues if I don't install the new one for a couple hours (or more)?

Just added info... I've kept the battery on a tender, and started it at least 2-3 times a week during the winter and until now, and have taken several 30 min. rides. I've also used a charger (2 amp) in place of the tender, and the bike starts and runs, but when I turn it off, there's a beeping for about 15 seconds. It won't re-start until I've charged it again for several hours...which is why I believe the battery is dead.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)