Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I like Plexus but right now I'm out so I use plain water and a microfiber cloth. The best hint I know of when cleaning non-glass windscreens is to drape a wet towel over it and let it set for a few minutes before cleaning it. This moistens and softens the bug remains and, for the most part, they wipe off easily. I usually use my bare hand to initially loosen the worst of the bugs, then finish with the clean microfiber cloth. By the way, the towel trick works just as well on the rest of the bike.

Motels/hotels don't appreciate us using their towels to clean windscreens or bikes but I've found that if you ask at the office they usually are glad to let you use old, worn towels that I think work better anyway. And they are a lot happier to see you come back the next time.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Removing sqashed bugs

Quote Originally Posted by shansmow View Post
    ... When I have squashed bugs on it I'll wet a dryer sheet and then wash it right off...otherwise it'll scratch and leave a residue. I found any cheap dryer sheet when wet will dissolve the bugs off the paint, windshield, etc. and it works fine. Just be sure to wet it first and then wash it off right away. I used it on the stock windshield and the touring model I have on it now.
    I found some time ago that glass cleaner makes squashed bugs real easy to remove. Spray on and leave for a minute, they soften and can be wiped away. Sometimes they need a second spray and soak, but they come off without rubbing.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    taken from: www.calsci.com

specifically: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#Windshield

Cleaning your WindshieldWe make our own cleaning fluid. When you buy a windshield from us, we give you a small spray bottle of cleaning fluid and a micro-fiber cleaning towel. Here's our "secret" washing fluid recipe, the result of testing about 25 different formulas:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid
    • 1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)
    • 2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
    • 1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)
    • 2 cups = 500ml water
    We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield.

My wife makes up a mixture for cleaning (mainly glass) that consists of ammonia, methylated spirits (a.k.a. metho - 95% ethanol) and water. It's the same mixture that was used to wash car windscreens when done manually (decades ago) then put in the washer bottle prior to ready made additives.

Metho is often carried on bikes (HDs and older Kwakas) that have carby icing issues as it actually mixes with water. Also use it to clean out your tank. Not sure what metho is called in North America (wood spirit?).

We have bottles everywhere in the house; medicine cabinet for cleaning cuts & sterilizing, cleaning cupboard, my shed, though it's not behind the bar.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post
    It appears that you are unable to interpret the symbolism of the joker . . .
    Now you tell me"", Just how do i explane the scratch's on my wife's windshield ??// Tell her i seen it on the web.??

Registered Users Peoriafirefighter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Campverdefela;158283]Whats the best products to use and the proper way to clean our windshields?

I use microfiber cloth and Novus 1,2,3 depending on scratches that need removed. #1 is for regular cleaning. Also I try to go up and down and not make swirls. Make sure keep any detailing polish from getting on the windshield as it will harm it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Scratches

Someone had a post about cleaning windshields, This is about scratches,I use quixx acrylic scratch remover.I picked it up at O'reilly.This stuff works great

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Use of ammonia on plexiglass

FOLKS, ALMOST EVERY PRODUCT MADE WITH PLEXIGLASS, WARNS AGAINST USING AMMONIA CONTAINING PRODUCTS. i USE STONERS INVISIBLE GLASS CLEANER AND IT CONTAINS NO AMMONIA. WORKS GREAT ON ALL GLASS AND PLEXIGLASS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I like Plexus but right now I'm out so I use plain water and a microfiber cloth. The best hint I know of when cleaning non-glass windscreens is to drape a wet towel over it and let it set for a few minutes before cleaning it. This moistens and softens the bug remains and, for the most part, they wipe off easily. I usually use my bare hand to initially loosen the worst of the bugs, then finish with the clean microfiber cloth. By the way, the towel trick works just as well on the rest of the bike.

Motels/hotels don't appreciate us using their towels to clean windscreens or bikes but I've found that if you ask at the office they usually are glad to let you use old, worn towels that I think work better anyway. And they are a lot happier to see you come back the next time.

Cotton
    Drape a wet towel-like it!

Spyder Garage

Tulsa Windshields has a page on the proper way to clean motorcycle windshields. I've had one of their windshields on my GL1800 for 8 years now. I clean it the way the following link says to clean it & have virtually no scratches on it to date. Seems to work for me. Take a few minutes to read through it.

http://www.allamericanprod.com/hints.html
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

MarkLawson's link to http://www.allamericanprod.com/hints.html is excellent advice in my opinion. Like most of you who have been riding for a while, I've read most of that information before and tried to practice it as well. But a little refresher course never hurts and, as the info says, it's very easy to damage a non-glass windscreen.

Once scratched, I have never been able to completely repair a windscreen. It seems that every product I have used to remove scratches wound up leaving an area that was noticably abraded and never as clear as the rest of the screen. Maybe it was just my technique that was wrong but, personally, I will just live with the scratch until I can afford another windscreen.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Now you tell me"", Just how do i explane the scratch's on my wife's windshield ??// Tell her i seen it on the web.??
    And don't use an electric car polisher/buffer! You may find it generates enough heat to melt perspex.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Water and a soft cloth for dried bug guts and exoskeletons.
    Then Pledge Spray and Wax, drys clear, polishes and eliminates small scratches. It is also inexpensive.
    It also makes the next bug gut removal easier.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What ever

What ever happened to the French guy that was makeing body parts for the spyder?

Spyder Garage

I use a micro-fiber cloth and warm water as well and I STILL managed to put some scratches on my wind shield because I rubbed too darn hard! Lesson learned I guess, but I think it's too late for this shield now. Was thinking about looking for a polish of some sort to see if I could take the scratches out, as they are not too bad, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Oh well, I like to think it adds some character...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When bugs are the problem, use hydrogen peroxide. It's safe and desolves protein, which is most of what bugs are.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have used Pledge to clean my windshield, tupperware, helmet visor and eye glasses for years. I think it does a great job. Spray on a bug and let it sit for a minuet and it comes right off. What I'm looking for now is something to take off what looks like some fine pitch. It looks like water drops but is a bugger to get off. That's what I get for parking it under a bamboo tree without covering it.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

I use this Slip Steamer. You can find it at most reputable cycle shops. Also, never wipe in circular motions, it cases a rainbow effect after time. Wipe up and down or side to side.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Water and some vinegar on the Spyder shield, body parts, tubs showers, counters, etc.. Microsoft towels only.
    RainX is the bomb on windshields. Don't even need the wipers.
    Last edited by tofriendscreek; 02-28-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    Water and some vinegar on the Spyder shield, body parts, tubs showers, counters, etc.. Microsoft towels only.
    RainX is the bomb on windshields. Don't even need the wipers.
    Rain-X will craze polycarbonate windshields, in time. I use it, too, but it requires that you replace, or polish, the windshield every 3-5 years. It is even worse on faceshields...those only last a couple of years.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cleaning Windshield

We use NuFinish for windshield, all plastic except the dull parts, in fact
    only use water & soap for the wheels. No scraches yet..............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
    What ever happened to the French guy that was makeing body parts for the spyder?
    Are you looking for Vertika Trykes out of Canada? There is a link to their web site on the home page under the Supporting Vendors section.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Hey there Spyderlovers. Micro fiber cloth is the real deal for sure however, make sure it's absolutely clean. If not, then you might as well use sand paper!!!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Default The best....

Plexus is very very good... Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Default windshield cleaner

mix 50/50 ratio of hydrogen peroxide and water. spray on windshield, let soak 1 to 2 minutes, wipe with microfiber cloth. this mixter bubbles up on bugs etc. just like on your skin.

Spyder Garage

I have found that asking motels for old towels to clean is common. They will provide, sometimes buckets, but often hoses.
    Bad news is, the comment, I wish the last bunch would have asked.
    One motel owner even said, I was not like the other Harley owners. I did not know HD made a GS Spyder.
    OldManzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner