Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Won't downshift? Try this "fix" - UPDATE - caused Turn Signal failure!

Bike: 2020 Spyder RT with SE6
    Problem: Intermittent won't downshift manually. Now won't shift at all manually.
    Diagnosis: Downshift paddle doesn't fully engage shift switch membrane. I can disassemble the LH multifunction switch assembly and shift up & down with my finger tip.

In 2018 a TSB was issued regarding this problem with Spyder's (F3 & RT)-Bulletin 2018-005. I have not read of later 2020 RT's having this issue, but thought I'd post what fixed my problem.

My issue began a couple of months ago with around 13000 miles on it. Once and again it would take 2-4 tries to manually downshift. On a 600 mile round trip Thursday and Friday, manually downshifting was almost impossible and reverse was a frustrating, multiple-attempt, interspersed with a few verbal assaults.
    After learning that the LH multifunction switch assembly is $560, I set out to "McGiver it" if possible. I determined that I could manually shift with my fingertip directly on the membrane pad shown in photo 4, and that pointed to the paddle not fully engaging the microswitch on the downshift side.
    I found that a common BB was a tiny bit larger than the ball bearing in the switch assembly so, by replacing the downshift ball bearing with the BB, the switch membrane was closer to the paddle mechanism. VOILA! It now shifts smoothly up & down every time! Photo 6 shows the only tools required. Hope this helps someone else.
    I'll update this thread after putting some miles on it.

UPDATE 5/29/23: As is sometimes the case that alterations have unforeseen issues, I learned this morning that the turn signals don't work after this fix, and I owe it to you to point that out. Not being able to downshift manually is not acceptable to me, but not having turn signals is not acceptable either. The issue is that the turn signals use the same ball bearings as contacts for both shifting and turn signals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 07:07 PM. Reason: OP's post update ... ;-)
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case