Spyder Garage

Default Need to open Frunk with broken latch release 2015 F3 - any ideas?

The Frunk latch release cable broke free. What is involved to have access to Frunk latch assy? Several removal assy items have screws under Frunk lid. I had a backup release wire--it came loose with latch release :-(
    Thanks for any assistance,
    Darrell
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2023 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    The Frunk latch release cable broke free. What is involved to have access to Frunk latch assy? Several removal assy items have screws under Frunk lid. I had a backup release wire--it came loose with latch release :-(
    Thanks for any assistance,
    Darrell
    If someone could take some pics ( from different distances ) of that Latch I could help .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I've seen/managed to get a few 'stuck closed frunks' open with a looooong screwdriver slid in from the side/top under the frunk lid to push the actuating bar on the catch, the part that the cable attaches to. You hafta prise up the top corner of the lid & using some rag to protect the finish, slide the screwdriver (or other looong & thin rigid probe) in from there right across to the middle under the lid edge just below the headlight cowl to where the latch is, then lift the screwdriver handle/lid corner end a touch more so that you can fiddle it around until you get the screwdriver tip in juuust the right spot to push the catch lever that the cable normally pulls, so it is something that really goes against the grain, but it's a method that has worked for me & others and with care, it doesn't seem to be detrimental in the long run. You're only using the inherent flex in the tupperware lid to get the corner up high enough for it to work, so if you're not too ham fisted/bull at a gate with it, the lid generally recovers quickly with no or very little sign you've even been in that way.

I've also seen a frunk opened with a bent coat hanger slid in from the top trailing edge of the lid just above the catch in order to hook on to and operate the catch lever, pretty much like the cable would only from the top instead of the side... but that did end up with a lot of scratches on the edge of the trunk lid, and I'm not sure you could avoid that - maybe with a plastic covered bent coat hanger??

Anyhow, a couple of ideas that may help, even if just to start the discussion if alternative methods. Over to you - good luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I've seen/managed to get a few 'stuck closed frunks' open with a looooong screwdriver slid in from the side/top under the frunk lid to push the actuating bar on the catch, the part that the cable attaches to. You hafta prise up the top corner of the lid & using some rag to protect the finish, slide the screwdriver (or other looong & thin rigid probe) in from there right across to the middle under the lid edge just below the headlight cowl to where the latch is, then lift the screwdriver handle/lid corner end a touch more so that you can fiddle it around until you get the screwdriver tip in juuust the right spot to push the catch lever that the cable normally pulls, so it is something that really goes against the grain, but it's a method that has worked for me & others and with care, it doesn't seem to be detrimental in the long run. You're only using the inherent flex in the tupperware lid to get the corner up high enough for it to work, so if you're not too ham fisted/bull at a gate with it, the lid generally recovers quickly with no or very little sign you've even been in that way.

I've also seen a frunk opened with a bent coat hanger slid in from the top trailing edge of the lid just above the catch in order to hook on to and operate the catch lever, pretty much like the cable would only from the top instead of the side... but that did end up with a lot of scratches on the edge of the trunk lid, and I'm not sure you could avoid that - maybe with a plastic covered bent coat hanger??

Anyhow, a couple of ideas that may help, even if just to start the discussion if alternative methods. Over to you - good luck!
    Getting desperate---maybe using a round door knob hole maker & installing a dress Emblem near the top--maybe Not--but I'm starting to like the idea :-)
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder access:

Quote from murphybrown:

Lifestyle Can Am, Mt. Vernon WA
    "Ron saved me. In one of my finer moments I locked both of my F3 keys in the frunk. I was at fair watching my grandsons show their prize hogs. Get ready to go home...and since I ALWAYS (not true anymore) wear my extra Spyder key around my neck...I reached, I patted, I jerked my shirt up...about than I am saying IT CAN"T BE TRUE...stopped, engaged brain an said did I reallly....answer yep. My very skilled Grandson, Owen, was done winning his class with his hog...so he came over laid on the ground. Said no way.
    Enter Iphone and call to Ron at LifeStyle...give phone to grandson and he talks him through how to rescue grannie. Easy peasy once you know what to do..Heck if I ever make than bone headed move again I think this non mechanical Spyder Ryder could "fix it". So who wants to know how?
    Remove the panel that is to left of tank (safety card). Reach in below ignition (where you place key). You will "feel" 3 lines attached. Find the round one, little bit smaller than a pencil..about 1 inch or so from where attached..push down as someone pushes on frunk (my assigned job) where latches. POP and there layed 2 keys!!! Thank you OWEN. Lifestyle Can Am are part of the GREAT DEALER list...they are many hours away from me. Yep Yep winner winner."

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights