Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the reason I changed is different from most of the members here. I had an on-again, off-again, m/c riding history. About 12 years after I sold my GL1100 I bought a 2005 Goldwing 1800 as a retirement present for myself. I really enjoyed it. But in 2012 I started to rethink things. I dropped the 'wing 6 times in 2 years. All were while I was moving quite slow or stopped. That bothered me some, but by itself did not push me to go a Spyder.

What really did it for me was traveling on the Interstate in Utah. I was going around a long gentle curve at about 80 mph when all of a sudden I got to thinking that if anything went wrong, like a rabbit crossing the road, or a rock rolling across, and I were to hit it, I was a GONER! The vulnerability of being on two wheels, even with careful driving, began to eat at me. I decided I needed to go to three wheels. I was going to convert my 'wing to a trike but the economics and the lack of computerized stability controls, it didn't make sense when compared to a Spyder. I test rode my nephew's RT and that confirmed for me that from the standpoint of safety offered by the stability of the Spyder, that was the way to go.

Near the end of my first long trip of about 4000 miles I stopped for gas. As I was walking into the truck stop store I suddenly realized I was feeling a WHOLE LOT SAFER AT 80 MPH on the Spyder than I ever did at 70 mph on the Goldwing. For me, ryding the Spyder has REINSTALLED THE JOY OF RIDING!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    .....Near the end of my first long trip of about 4000 miles I stopped for gas. As I was walking into the truck stop store I suddenly realized I was feeling a WHOLE LOT SAFER AT 80 MPH on the Spyder than I ever did at 70 mph on the Goldwing. For me, ryding the Spyder has REINSTALLED THE JOY OF RIDING!
    I think you nailed it. I can never truly relax on my bike for more than 2-3 seconds at a time, because I'm always worried that the tiniest error, or the smallest road imperfection, could land me on the pavement at 75-80 MPH. Its still fun, but I'm so tense about the possibility of permanent injury, that it really fatigues me. This old body don't heal as quickly as it used to!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2023 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

There sure are a lot of us former 2 wheelers now on Spyders! I don't think its weakness at all, just a realization of the changes we go through as we age. For me, what caused me to make the change from a Goldwing to a Spyder was having two tip overs in a short time two summers ago when I was 78. My wife, who was/is my frequent riding companion, was getting increasingly nervous about riding with me. The riding wasn't the problem, it was the stopping. Between the Goldwing and the two of us it was close to 1,300 pounds relying on my left foot being firmly on the ground, and both of those tip overs happened when my foot slipped just a bit (fortunately with me riding solo at the time). I've known many riders who gave up riding completely at an age much younger than 78, but I was unwilling to even consider giving up riding. I knew the choice was a much lighter bike or go to 3 wheels. I looked at a Triumph T120 but knew that my wife would never be comfortable on that little pillion seat even if I added a backrest. So I grudgingly took a demo ride on a Spyder and found that it took all of 5 minutes for me to decide that this was the way to go.

The Spyder is certainly a different experience, and I do miss the leaning, but the comfort and stability of the Spyder, especially when riding two up, more than makes up for it. And when I feel the need for the 2 wheel experience I still have my Honda scooter to ride. With its 149cc engine I can still do 65 mph so some spirited riding is still possible, and I can enjoy leaning into the curves.

I'm hoping the Spyder is what keeps me riding for years to come.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    ....The riding wasn't the problem, it was the stopping. ....
    I hear you loud and clear. Dropping my bike doesn't worry me, its hitting the ground with a hot motorcycle on top of me that keeps me up at night.

I'm pricing out Spyders as we speak. I'm planning on making my move in September at the latest.

The only thing is, I'm sure going to miss Honda reliability. My research shows Can Am has a less than stellar reputation. I wish they had real competition is this market segment. If they made a Goldwing with two front wheels I'd sell a kidney for one.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2017 F3 LDT, because of back issues (70 years old) , I sold it because I wanted to back to a Harley . Well I did not even keep for 4 months , I sold it and went back to a Can Am, I did not like the gear shifting and the Ride. I was used to the quiet ride and easy shifting and the safety of the Can Am. Once you get used to riding the Can Am, you will not want to go back. Now I can go on 400 + mile rides with ease.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

"Now I can go on 400 + mile rides with ease."

That kind of mileage is just a dream right now. My bad back likes the forward lean angle, and my wrists handle it fine, but my legs cramp up and my neck hurts. Right now, a 250 mile day is an Olympic marathon to me! Now I don't want to go full "lazyboy" , so I'm looking at buying a base model F3, with foot pegs and no windshield, and more of a bare bones sporty persona.

As you can see, I like things a bit sporty!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brian10x; 05-13-2023 at 10:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

I rode on two wheels for the better part of 60 years. (I'm 81 years old) Two years ago I caught Covid and was in the hospital for five days. When I was discharged I had lost much of my leg strength and could not handle the top heavy Kawasaki Concour 1400 that was my ride. Loved that bike and it's extreme performance but had to accept that I would not likely ever be able to operate it safely. Sold it and bought a 2019 RTL and thought this isn't so bad. Took a lot of ribbing from my riding buddies but what the hell I was still riding. Last fall took the 2019 in to have a rear tire mounted and they were uncrating a 2022 Sea to Sky and made me an offer too good to refuse so I traded. The 2019 was great but the 2022 is fantastic. Riding buddies still give me a lot of grief but what the H.. This year one of my riding buddies who is my age dropped his bike and couldn't get out from under it without help for several of us. Last year he drove off road into a ditch at a corner because he lost control. I told him he needed to look at a Can Am and he said never it's two wheels or nothing. I suggested it might be three wheels or dead if he wasn't lucky. I love my Spyder and although I wish I still had the Kawasaki I'm still riding so I won't complain.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I just found a bike locally. 2018 Spyder F3-S with 1,571 miles for $$16,992.

What do you guys think?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I just found a bike locally. 2018 Spyder F3-S with 1,571 miles for $$16,992.

What do you guys think?
    Worth taking a good hard look at. Take the VIN to a dealer to see if there are any outstanding recalls or tech service notices on it. Plan on changing the fluids. Check NADA Guides about the pricing. If all checks out and you like the price I would say you have a winner! The bike is 5 years old so the battery could well be on it's last legs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

They couldn't sell it to me anyway. Parts are on order for the sprocket recall. Just as well, it has a chunk of paint missing on the nose, about the size of a quarter. I doubt they would fix it, but if they call me back after the recall is done, I'll try.

Spyder Garage

I understand that some are unsure of the reliability of the Spyder, especially if they are used to the rock solid reliability of Honda. I switched just short of two years ago from a Honda Goldwing to an RT and so far have had zero issues with the bike. I had the oil changed at 3,000 miles as required, and have not needed to go back to the dealer since then. I've put about 9,000 miles on the Spyder so far. I just realized that I did, in fact, have a small problem with the side case not opening easily, but I tightened up the cable underneath (simple fix that even a non-mechanically inclined person like myself can do) and eliminated this little issue.

I'll add two additional comments which might be of interest to someone thinking of buying a CanAm Spyder, one positive and one negative. The negative is that the bike is designed to use premium gas. The positive is that passengers love the Spyder. My wife says that she is far more comfortable on the Spyder than she was even on my luxury Goldwing that I used to ride before the Spyder.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I don't like having to sacrifice the reliability that I'm used to with Honda, but since Honda doesn't make this bike, I'm rolling the dice. I think I'll plan on buying brand new to avoid the risk of first owner neglect.

Its going to be difficult going from mid grade and 71MPG to premium and 35MPG. That will be a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since I plan on putting a lot more miles in the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Short answer. Not if you have ridden ATV's, Go Karts and the like.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Relatable story. I was recovering from a broken ankle after a track crash and while I was hobbling with a cane, I had to scratch the itch and tried out a Spyder. A few years later I got one so my SO and I could tour two up. I still have my two wheelers, and for now no Spyder. But like you, at 63 I don't heal quite as fast. Right now I have a stress fracture in one heel that is taking some time to knit. But I can see at some point before I hang up my helmet, I would go back to a Spyder before completely giving up riding. For now, riding keeps my reflexes and eyesight sharp, but if I hit a deer or "grass clippings!" and end up in the hospital it could be a long road back. Vitamin D, Calcium, weight lifting.. it gets harder each year fighting aging.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I don't like having to sacrifice the reliability that I'm used to with Honda, but since Honda doesn't make this bike, I'm rolling the dice. I think I'll plan on buying brand new to avoid the risk of first owner neglect.
    ……..and just remember……if Honda (or BMW) did make a reverse trike, the pricing would start at $50k to get that reliability, not $30k, Brian …….the market would simply not be there

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Its going to be difficult going from mid grade and 71MPG to premium and 35MPG. That will be a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since I plan on putting a lot more miles in the Spyder.[/B]
    If you do a search on here you'll discover that many owners don't agree that premium fuel is mandatory. In my eight years on this forum the one thing I have never seen posted is someone having an engine failure due to using 87 octane gasoline. In fact, no one has posted photos of the internals of an engine that used only regular gas. Why? Probably because no one has to tear an engine down to clean or repair damage caused by regular gas.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ……..and just remember……if Honda (or BMW) did make a reverse trike, the pricing would start at $50k to get that reliability, not $30k, Brian …….the market would simply not be there

Pete
    Have you seen the price on new Goldwing trikes? Yikes!

Spyder Garage

Have you seen the price on new Goldwing trikes? Yikes!
    And if you "trike" a Goldwing, they usually pull the GW Warranty as well as refusing to work on them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
    We come into this world bald and can't walk. As I get older, I get closer to where I started.
    DB02E736-B763-4E99-AAD0-7861A18F56EC.jpeg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2023 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Did it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Did it.
    Congratulations!!!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Guess what? I never dropped the bike once. I parked in a gravel parking lot, and TURNED MY FRONT WHEELS, without panic. Its almost TOO easy. I won't get floorboards or a windshield or cruise. That would just be cheating.

Well, maybe cruise. I read I only have to change the right handgrip asy.

Spyder Garage

Brian, if your bike is an F3-S, it should already have cruise control.