Spyder Garage

Question Should I be checking pressure in the Rear Suspension Air-bag? '19 F3 Ltd

My short list of personal friends keep telling me to make sure that I check/keep after the PSI in my rear suspension bladder. My confusion is this: In the Can-Am 2019 Spyder F3 manual/operator's guide on page 56 under Adjusting Suspension > "Rear Suspension (F3 Limited Models) it says this: The rear suspension level automatically adjusts by deflating or inflating the air spring. Am I to assume that that means that there is no keeping after/checking that I have to do to maintain the rear suspension?? As in self adjusting air springs. I am retired from truck driving where most rigs employ the use of self adjusting air bags on the tractor and most trailers, i.e. no driver/operator maintenance needed. Is that the same case in the case of these rear suspensions on the F3 Limited? Thank you. See attachment.

Spyder F3 Limited
    Oxford Blue
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

If you have the limited model you are very right!! If you don't have the limited then you would have to keep a eye on it. I changed mine over to the manual fill after the compressor decided to crap the bed on me, I find that I check it every spring when I service it, and yes in most cases it needs a little air! If my ride seems a little spongey throughout the season I will check it again, but it will stay good for the most part! My happy number for my wife and I is 60-75 PSI.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2023 at 07:34 PM. Reason: iiit ... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have an F3 LTD. While it has that seat button under the pillion seat I have not yet located a valve to confirm the pressure.

Spyder Garage

Default rear suspension F3-L

unless the limited is different from the F3-T you will find the Schrader valve behind the drivers seat on the left after you remove the passenger seat.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Ah OK. I will pop out later on and have yet another look. What pressure for a Munchkin of 100kg / 220 lb ya recommend?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Ah OK. I will pop out later on and have yet another look. What pressure for a Munchkin of 100kg / 220 lb ya recommend?
    Iso, sorry, I can’t remember…….does your 17F3-L have the auto adjust bag? (My ‘16 F3-L didn’t have it, but my poor memory believes they introduced it in ‘17 for the F3-L). If it does, and if you do find the valve, I would strongly suggest putting some kind of tpms monitor on it. I have one on my ‘21 RT, and it makes it so easy to monitor psi at rest, under load, and when underway. That TPMS on the bag’s shraeder was what clued me up to the fact that my ‘21RT had left the dealer without the little sensor arm being connected.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Earlier models have to adjust air pressure manually. Later ones are automatic. Mine is a 2016 F3L and has to be adjusted by hand.

I believe there is an accessory kit to make it automatic but knowing CanAm and their pricing, I think I'll keep it as it is...
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
    Earlier models have to adjust air pressure manually. Later ones are automatic. Mine is a 2016 F3L and has to be adjusted by hand.

I believe there is an accessory kit to make it automatic but knowing CanAm and their pricing, I think I'll keep it as it is...
    That bit is probably a good idea, and not just cos you'll be saving yourself many wasted $$!

Many Spyder Owners who paid extra for Spyder models with the Automatically Controlled Suspension systems have removed/disabled the 'automatic' bits, simply cos the ACS as delivered is often such a pain to keep working properly. The automatic suspension concept is a great idea, it's just been very poorly executed right from its initial implementation, and despite all the difficulties and issues reported with it since 2010, to date it remains a frequently problematic system that BRP seem to be ignoring, much to the cost & regret of those Owners suffering from it's failure!

At its most basic, it's frequently not even connected properly by the dealer/techs doing the bike's initial assembly; and even once that is eventually connected up correctly, for many, the 'automatics' of the ACS remain extremely unreliable despite frequent attempts by dealers &/or owners to resolve the issues; so much so that for many owners their preferred way ahead is to disconnect the 'automatics' & revert to inflating the air bag manually via the schraeder valve once or twice a season instead - something that seems to work well for most!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2023 at 03:48 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Iso, sorry, I can’t remember…….does your 17F3-L have the auto adjust bag? (My ‘16 F3-L didn’t have it, but my poor memory believes they introduced it in ‘17 for the F3-L). If it does, and if you do find the valve, I would strongly suggest putting some kind of tpms monitor on it. I have one on my ‘21 RT, and it makes it so easy to monitor psi at rest, under load, and when underway. That TPMS on the bag’s shraeder was what clued me up to the fact that my ‘21RT had left the dealer without the little sensor arm being connected.

Pete
    Trust me when I say you will know when your bags is getting low on air, well without a TPMS, and the cost of it. The less than adequate shock will let you know, that thing is just a pogo stick under there! And you will be banging on your frame at every bump in the road.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Trust me when I say you will know when your bags is getting low on air, well without a TPMS, and the cost of it. The less than adequate shock will let you know, that thing is just a pogo stick under there! And you will be banging on your frame at every bump in the road.
    Yes, I agree, that is the case with the OEM shock, Mikey, but that wasn’t the case for me. I had an OEM shock manufacture issue from day 1 and immediately swapped my shock out for an Ikon, so I had great suspension that wasn’t bottoming. The disconnected air bag was a separate issue that FOBO highlighted

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you have the limited model you are very right!! If you don't have the limited then you would have to keep a eye on it. I changed mine over to the manual fill after the compressor decided to crap the bed on me, I find that I check it every spring when I service it, and yes in most cases it needs a little air! If my ride seems a little spongey throughout the season I will check it again, but it will stay good for the most part! My happy number for my wife and I is 60-75 PSI.
    Mikey, do you have any pics or suggestions on how to install the manual fill? I need to do something as my rear suspension is dead.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Chicago I can work you through this. I just had to do it on mine. My airbag needed replaced totally. It had a bunch of holes. First strip the entire left and right side panels off. I made it simple for myself. If the bag is bad remove the shock and exhaust. If the bag is good then you are looking for the line that comes out of the top of the airbag. It should be the 1/4 line coming very close the rear shock and into a white plastic manifold. Once that line is located coming from the airbag, take a knife or scraper and pry the connector end towards the line as you push the line in. The hose will slide out of the connector. That connector should located in the front left of that manifold. Next look for the shreader valve. Trace the 1/4 hose to the same manifold. Should be in the rear left. Pry that connector off. Now that you have both hoses free, go get a good 1/4 hose coupler (brass) and join the 2 together. (Truck DOT diesel places will have them) You are finished. Air from shraeder goes directly to bag. To leave air out simply push the center of shraeder. Hope that makes sense. Look for the white square block with all the hoses coming in on the right side just under seat. Thats your manifold. Stick your hand between the shock and frame and look at bag. At the top behind the U bracket is the elbow with hose coming out. Mine was zip tied just in front of shock to not get caught. Thats the airbag hose. And trace the shraeder down. Connect the 2 and done!
    Last edited by Wmoater; 09-11-2023 at 12:54 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1947 View Post
    My short list of personal friends keep telling me to make sure that I check/keep after the PSI in my rear suspension bladder. My confusion is this: In the Can-Am 2019 Spyder F3 manual/operator's guide on page 56 under Adjusting Suspension > "Rear Suspension (F3 Limited Models) it says this: The rear suspension level automatically adjusts by deflating or inflating the air spring. Am I to assume that that means that there is no keeping after/checking that I have to do to maintain the rear suspension?? As in self adjusting air springs. I am retired from truck driving where most rigs employ the use of self adjusting air bags on the tractor and most trailers, i.e. no driver/operator maintenance needed. Is that the same case in the case of these rear suspensions on the F3 Limited? Thank you. See attachment.

Spyder F3 Limited
    Oxford Blue

sparky1947,

I have a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series and it has the Rear shock w/self leveling air preload adjustment ( Travel 132 mm( 15.2 in).https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...special-series

Last week I packed for a trip, to Lake George, New York ( Spyder Quest) I used the back passenger seat as a place to carry some luggage, I did not have to adjust the rear shock for the added weight on the rear shock. The rear shock adjusted automatically. The bike handled well.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue