Spyder Garage

Question Parking Brake Motor - Pro's & Con's of leaving it off during winter hibernation?

I was just reading about PBM failures and wondering:

What are the pros and cons of leaving the PB off during winter hibernation in a locked garage?

Of course, I would chock the wheels but other than that????

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2023 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not 1330 engine specific & expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I been doing that, because sometimes the brake will not relese if sitting to long
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    I been doing that, because sometimes the brake will not relese if sitting to long
    I don't really have a problem with the alarm whining for 20 sec but has anybody found a way to bypass it?

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I don't really have a problem with the alarm whining for 20 sec but has anybody found a way to bypass it?
    I don't think you can. I believe the alarm and software to control it are internal to the cluster. The same 20 second count down shuts off the headlights when you turn off the bike. I've never seen the alarm shown on the wiring diagram as a separate item.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I’ve been doing that for a long time now. I leave my RT in my storage shed during the winter, which unfortunately does not have power. So I don’t set the parking brake. There’s only a foot or so of space between the front of my bike and the junk I have in front of it. So even if it did roll forward there’s not enough room for it to gain any momentum. My heavy tool box placed against the back tire solves any roll back problem. So far I’ve not had any issues
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

First up

I store my F3 in my stand alone bike and shop shed, its chocked with the park brake off.

Been happening for a year now and there have been no incidents or explosions.

I asked about the beeper on my F3 in May last year.

Well.....

Some members got horribly upset and the comments against toning it down got so out of shape that the Mods stepped in and closed the thread for a time as some got their panties so twisted they must have been inside out and extremely uncomfortable.

After a time it was opened it again with a large amount comments deleted, including some of mine. Thats ok.

The clip below shows how to remove a dash

I had mine off and it did not pop off like in the video.

It was very firm along the bottom. I wasn't prepared to put any more leverage on it so just left it under some tension with a few bits of my plastic lever tools. It popped after a few minutes. I lubed the fittings that were dry and now its good.

....... If you take the brake off and turn the key off.... well you may locate the beeper.......

levers 1821599864.jpg

Viewer discretion advisory. For Mature and Sensible Adults Only.

Post from May https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...beeper-located

Dash removal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzLAFT_EcA

meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep meep.......

Nuf said from me I reckon.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 04-17-2023 at 06:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

I leave my park brake off winter and summer when it's in my garage. The floor is level it hasn't moved yet. I only use the park brake when I'm out and about.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I read all of the above comments and did not see any "pros or cons" just some who do it. After having replaced the pulley and cable that acuate the brake recently, I really don't see there is a pro or con. The motor is controlled by the computer from signals sent from the pulley by means of the microswitch and once the signals are sent, the motor is idle. There is tension on the cable when set but not nearly enough to cause any stretching in a measurable amount. I see no pros or cons concerning the cable either & the same holds true for the brake pads & rotor.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

A pro for not setting the parking brake when parking in the garage is that I can push it around to get a little more room if needed, whatever the need- whether to work on it, check the air in the tires, or work on the car etc... A rug, power cord or just the flat garage floor means it stays, or a separate chock if needed.

I also usually back it in its allotted space and then click back into neutral to facilitate easy rolling as needed. I haven't had any issues with the cable/ electric actuator after one time about four years ago, when it stuck on, but after readjusting/ and a little preventive maintenance it's been good. 2016 RT
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been setting my parking brake for 10 years no issues as of yet.

Spyder Garage

I always leave the bike in N and leave the parking brake off when parked in the garage. I find it easier to roll when I have to check my tire pressure before taking it out.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I believe the alarm and software to control it are internal to the cluster. The same 20 second count down shuts off the headlights when you turn off the bike.
    I have often turned off the headlights by turning the key back ON, then OFF again.

Not sure if the beeper would be affected by this move, probably not.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Since my Spyder is a SM5, I leave in first gear and remove battery during winter storage. This way I can move Spyder if needed.
    CONS, Parking brake could stick. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I always leave it off in the winter, like to be able to roll it back and forth without having to uncover it and mess with it!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Pro's & Con's??

Hmmm, let's see....

Pro

• You can readily roll your Spyder around if you need/want to;
    • You're not keeping the cable & park brake components under tension/stress all winter & therefore not risking any resultant cable stretch/park brake component damage/failure;
    • You're not risking bonding the rear brake pads to the disc, any pad damage, &/or disc damage or warpage due to the pads being clamped tightly onto the rear disc all winter;

Con

• You hafta put up with maybe 30 seconds of beeping when you turn the ignition off.....
    . .

How's that for a start?? Feel free to add more if you wish.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!