Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How can I remove Front Fender Marker/Signal Lights without breaking?

Gotta ask a stupid question as I don't want to break a light.

2020 F3 Front fender light. How do you remove it without breaking it?

Got my new fender in and I was able to use a spudger to pry off my old show chrome led turn signal but I need to remove the stock turn signal to move it over to the new fender and for the life of me can't figure out how to do it.

It looks like two clips underneath but it feels like I am forcing it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Morning bump.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

From the parts illustration, it appears to be 4mm plastic screws. Just gotta be careful.

https://www.canampartshouse.com/oemp...-front-fenders
    2015 F3S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remove the wheel and you get access to the underside of the fender.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thats an 8 mm head on bolt to remove plastic

Spyder Garage

Nope sorry, I have taken some pics, I have the fender completely removed.

The screw everyone is describing is for the little wire cover on the underneath of the fender.

I have the service manual and it is basically the same diagram as the parts catalog with the exception of parts numbers.

It seems like there are 2 clips holding this together from the tension I am feeling.

I am double thinking this and considering returning the parts to fix the fender as I am really liking the look of having no fender and I am now thinking about doing a fender delete.

IMG_20230412_162234427.jpg IMG_20230412_162204160.jpg IMG_20230412_162336407.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-12-2023 at 03:51 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

OK, I guess no one has done this before?

Fender is broken anyway , I guess it is time to break out the aircraft snips and find out this afternoon after work.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

is it the clear plastic lens you are trying to remove? If so I believe that it just snaps off, but not sure if you press it from the front or the sides.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I am double thinking this and considering returning the parts to fix the fender as I am really liking the look of having no fender and I am now thinking about doing a fender delete.
    Fender delete. Ok......, and that would also delete the position / flasher lights mounted to the fender I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Fender delete. Ok......, and that would also delete the position / flasher lights mounted to the fender I guess.
    Yep but I can get these and it would be legal and visible....

I already have these I couldn't use on the front because of Md state law about blue lights on the front but I can have them mounted on the side.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    is it the clear plastic lens you are trying to remove? If so I believe that it just snaps off, but not sure if you press it from the front or the sides.
    It looks like the clear lens is attached by 2 clips to the main light mount underneath the fender, I am worried about straining the clips too much and breaking them. If anything it looks like a squeeze from the side.

At least a pair of the sautv signal/drl fog light covers are cheaper (69.95) than one Can-am turn signal (92.95).

If I break it I think I am just moving forward with the fender delete. I also would be interested to see if I have any more "rubbing noises" that I was previously having in some of my harder turns with the fenders on.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-13-2023 at 04:25 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

OK, got it transferred after doing surgery to the old fender with some snips. it's a one piece unit that slides forwards and snaps in from underneath into place.

Hopefully it's good because I will have to break it out if it is bad. This thing snaps in so tight and hooks itself over the fender so you have to destroy it or the fender to get it back out.

IMG_20230413_194354608.jpg

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Nope sorry, I have taken some pics, I have the fender completely removed. snip

IMG_20230412_162234427.jpg IMG_20230412_162204160.jpg IMG_20230412_162336407.jpg

You might want to check local laws pertaining to vehicle fenders as most states require them for safety. Other drivers don't' like rocks flying up and breaking their windshields or getting sprayed by water or other debris.Plus no indicator and side lights.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. On the 1 piece fenders which you have - after you remove the screws which it sounds like you saw/did then you carefully bend down on the front of the fender and push from underneath the front of the light upward and outward to pop it lose. Hopefully this helps someone for next time.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Got everything back together OK, back to my last step of maint. for the year before I hit the buck.... out to find someone that can get an alignment done within the next couple of weeks.

Hanover said they couldn't get me in for a wait on appointment until June and that I could drop it off if I want it done earlier but that involves dropping it off with no promised date/time of return so it could sit there until June anyway and still not get done due to no promised date /time of return as no appointment is setup for it.

Time to start shopping around for alignment appointments. Are there any rally's/meetups on the east coast soon where somebody will be doing alignments?

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

If your alignment is really bad and you are handy in the workshop and can turn a nut you may be interested in this clip.

This bloke is going to give it a crack.

Then take it for a spin. If it wanders pull out your spanners and give it , dunno yet, 1/2 a turn so it widens at the back of the axle. Repeat until it dosnt wander and your happy. Hell seek out some corners to double check.

I guess if it straight-lines too firmly bring it in 1/2 a turn or a 1/4 or two full dunno yet.

You should be able to feel it from handling and feedback in the bars when its right.

BYW A Poofteenth is exactly the the required measurement wider at the back than the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho12zpOkAPA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    If your alignment is really bad and you are handy in the workshop and can turn a nut you may be interested in this clip.

This bloke is going to give it a crack.

Then take it for a spin. If it wanders pull out your spanners and give it , dunno yet, 1/2 a turn so it widens at the back of the axle. Repeat until it dosnt wander and your happy. Hell seek out some corners to double check.

I guess if it straight-lines too firmly bring it in 1/2 a turn or a 1/4 or two full dunno yet.

You should be able to feel it from handling and feedback in the bars when its right.

BYW A Poofteenth is exactly the the required measurement wider at the back than the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho12zpOkAPA
    The tech that adjusted my RT when it was aligned must have had an accurate "poofteenth meter", because my spyder runs str8 and the tires are wearing nice and even so far! Thanks for the INFO, ..... Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"