Spyder Garage

Default Need to Release the Parking Brake ...manually - Anyone help?

I have a 2016 F3L with a significant electrical problem. I have an appointment with a dealer in a couple of weeks.

I understand that there is (?) a way to manually release the parking brake?? That would be a good thing as I have zero electrical power...and, it is not the battery.

Would you know how to do this?

Thanks
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Spyder Garage

You go to the back and unhook the cable from the calliper; or release it from the spool on the actuator up front.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 07:16 PM. Reason: . ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You go to the back and unhook the cable from the caliper; or release it from the spool on the actuator up front.
    Thank you for responding! Would you know which would be easier for a novice?
    Neal Perkins
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Spyder Garage

Have a surf through some of these. Should give you an idea.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=3807937
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

and...does this parking brake lock just the back wheel?
    2016 F3T Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post

Bummer, bad link.
    Or, do I have to 'get inside' an archive section?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2016 F3T Limited

Spyder Garage

Yep locks the rear.

Link works for me.

Top right of the page there is a search box.
    I typed Parking Brake Release.

Screenshot 20ree Wheel Motorcycles.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Merged results... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yep locks the rear.

Link works for me.

I typed Parking Brake Release.
    Just for info, that link doesn’t work for me either, Iso……..it just takes you to a screen that effectively says - no matches.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    and...does this parking brake lock just the back wheel?
    Yes, just the back wheel…..and as Iso says, type Parking Brake Release in the search box. You can release it with a couple of spanners, but I can’t remember the size and I am heading out.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts... ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Not sure about an F3, but on my 2017 RTS, two 12mm wrenches will back off the nuts on the brake cable at the rear wheel. I had to do that when my parking brake failed in the locked position so I could get it towed to the dealer. Really easy to do. Good luck.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Just for info, that link doesn’t work for me either, Iso……..it just takes you to a screen that effectively says - no matches.

Pete

How about now Pete?
    Did it again.

Spyder Garage
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Bummer, bad link.
    Or, do I have to 'get inside' an archive section?
    Sorry Neal, but that's cos Iso can't post a usable ink to HIS search results, the system won't let him - cos the results that Iso saw & posted a link to was in response to info that HE'd entered into his Search Selection screen, and you don't have any of that Search entry detail, so you get the "Sorry, no matches..." or the 'Invalid Link' messages displayed instead of his results!!

So Iso, it doesn't really help anyone if you post a link to YOUR Search Results page, cos no one else will be able to actually see that info - they just don't have the necessary selection detail entered!!

They MIGHT be able to open & submit the Search Selection screen you used to submit & get that results page if you linked that instead, but that working seems to be a bit hit & miss, so as you also did, I find it's much better to simply tell people what keywords/criteria to search on... and then if they can't be bothered to actually DO the search themselves, it's on them...

That's not saying that I think YOU wouldn't do the search Neal, just that we have some regular offenders here who don't ever bother.... and those, the people who don't ever make any effort to do anything for themselves but instead just want others to feed them all the answers on a plate, those we can't really help all that much....

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2023 at 07:51 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Himm. Ok.

Post #7 I typed...

I typed Parking Brake Release..,

Hope he sorted it despite my best intentions that lead nowhere by the sound of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ....... but that working seems to be a bit hit & miss, so as you also did, I find it's much better to simply tell people what keywords/criteria to search on...
    Himm. Ok.

Post #7 I typed...

I typed Parking Brake Release..,

Hope he sorted it despite my best intentions that lead nowhere by the sound of it.
    Yeah, I noticed that, but I was just trying to clear up WHY your links weren't working & couldn't work no matter how many times you posted them...

It's not anything you did really, it's just that the system can't show others the same results you got when they don't have the same 'Search Selection' details entered - so they'll hafta go to the Search field or screen & type them in.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well, I got down on my side to look at the area I need to work...Wow! There's about 7" to go under the muffler. Either that comes off, or I need a jack. So, the spring comes off easy enough. Then I'm staring at the bolt that apparently holds the bracket connecting the cable to the 'swing arm'. That also looks very doable. Someone commented that this would be their preferred way to solve this problem... remembering that the Spyder would be reassembled at the dealer. So, is this actually the easier way to get the brake released?
    I thank everyone for their assistance!
    Neal Perkins
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2023 at 05:39 PM. Reason: ' 's & the the ;-)
    2016 F3T Limited

Spyder Garage

Yup, and I think you have to release that to take it off at actuator. Not that bad, 12mm open end. Had to do it several times on my 18.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2023 at 05:39 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Well, I got down on my side to look at the area I need to work...Wow! There's about 7" to go under the muffler. Either that comes off, or I need a jack. So, the spring comes off easy enough. Then I'm staring at the bolt that apparently holds the bracket connecting the cable to the 'swing arm'. That also looks very doable. Someone commented that this would be their preferred way to solve this problem... remembering that the Spyder would be reassembled at the dealer. So, is this actually the easier way to get the brake released?
    I thank everyone for their assistance!
    Neal Perkins
    That is one of the two most common ways to do it, Neal. Undo that bolt now that you have the spring off, and take bolt, plate, and spring to dealer. I have a recollection that the bolt is 13mm for some reason… my memory is not what it was.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That is one of the two most common ways to do it, Neal. Undo that bolt now that you have the spring off, and take bolt, plate, and spring to dealer. I have a recollection that the bolt is 13mm for some reason… my memory is not what it was.

Pete
    Pete, thanks so much. That's what I am going to do. And, I've heard the 13mm before.
    You guys rock!
    Neal
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2016 F3T Limited

Spyder Garage

If you need a little more room or wish to get a little higher off the floor, well I run it up onto a bit of timber, a 4"x4" with an angle cut for the leading edge. Makes a big difference for me as im not as agile as I used to be.