Spyder Garage

Default Only one Lo-beam Headlight works, both High - is this normal?

Just got this 2016 Spyder RT Limited and only one headlight comes on in Low Beam but both sides come on in high beam, is this normal?

also, notice the headlight globe on the right side has no adjustment cable on it, is this normal?

Thanks
    Hank
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2023 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does it have LED headlight bulbs in it? The adjustment cable is probably there but just wasn't reinstalled when the headlight was removed and replaced for whatever reason. The shutter inside the headlight is stuck in the up position. You'll need to take the headlight out and examine the innards to see what the problem is. Somebody has had it apart and screwed up the reassembly, probably while changing the bulbs to LEDs.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You will most likely find that you have some wires getting in the way of the prism, shutter, inside of the light housing. You have to dive in and check it out!! Good Luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Does it have LED headlight bulbs in it? The adjustment cable is probably there but just wasn't reinstalled when the headlight was removed and replaced for whatever reason. The shutter inside the headlight is stuck in the up position. You'll need to take the headlight out and examine the innards to see what the problem is. Somebody has had it apart and screwed up the reassembly, probably while changing the bulbs to LEDs.
    Thanks yall, it is still halogen bulbs. So I guess I will go back in, put the adjustment cable on (I got one from ebay) compare wires to left side and go from there.

Thanks for help.
    Hank

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HanklovesJesus View Post
    Thanks yall, it is still halogen bulbs. So I guess I will go back in, put the adjustment cable on (I got one from ebay) compare wires to left side and go from there.

Thanks for help.
    Hank
    Are you sure there isn't an adjustment cable attached to the light housing and just hanging loose? I didn't think the cable was an easily removable part.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

The bulb type has no effect as the Hi/Lo is achieved by a shutter system and has nothing to do with the bulb.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The bulb type has no effect as the Hi/Lo is achieved by a shutter system and has nothing to do with the bulb.
    Except ------ if he has LED bulbs that means someone for sure had the headlight assembly apart and most likely goofed putting it back together!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Strange that there is high beam on both but low on only one! Even if the shutter isn't working properly I would think the opposite would be true.....?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Except ------ if he has LED bulbs that means someone for sure had the headlight assembly apart and most likely goofed putting it back together!
    Agreed, but still a shutter issue and not a bulb issue.

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Strange that there is high beam on both but low on only one! Even if the shutter isn't working properly I would think the opposite would be true.....?
    The shutters operate in unison, but separately. One can have an obstruction (the usual problem) and the other work as designed. It doesn't take much to stop the shutter as they have very weak mechanisms. They really don't need more. They just need to be free to move.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Agreed, but still a shutter issue and not a bulb issue.
    Correct. I was asking about the bulb in order to ascertain the likelihood someone mucked with the innards of the headlight. LED bulbs would have guaranteed someone did muck with it.

It doesn't take much to stop the shutter as they have very weak mechanisms. They really don't need more. They just need to be free to move.
    Except in this case the shutter wouldn't be stopped from moving. It is stuck in the high beam position. The fail safe position, i.e., spring loaded position and solenoid failure, is low beam. It has to be powered and free to move in order to get into the high beam position.

It's been awhile since I was inside a housing, but I think in the case of the spring failing gravity will put the shutter into high beam position. So maybe the spring is broken. If so, Hank, you are SOL. BRP doesn't sell parts for the headlights. Another possibility would be the wiring is screwed up and the solenoid is powered all the time. The bulbs are powered all the time from the high beam circuit from the headlight relays. A jumper provides power to the bulb when low beam is selected.

Hank, you mention comparing the wiring between the left and right headlights. Be aware there is a jumper in the connector on the left side only. The right side light is fed from the left side light.

You will be well served to get a service manual for about $30 from www.canammanuals.com. They have wiring diagrams in them.

2014 Copper RTS

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default System is not Normal

Quote Originally Posted by HanklovesJesus View Post
    Just got this 2016 Spyder RT Limited and only one headlight comes on in Low Beam but both sides come on in high beam, is this normal?

also, notice the headlight globe on the right side has no adjustment cable on it, is this normal?

Thanks
    Hank

1. Your lights are not normal. Sometimes a little problem can make things not work the correct way.

2. You should have an adjustment cable for each front light.

Now with some real information. I just installed 'LED Headlights' last weekend. I had similar problems with my lights.
    You or someone else will need to remove the headlight from your Spyder and check it out.

Something is wrong with the shutter. For me I had put the LED wires in the way of the shutter.
    When you have the front light unit removed from your Spyder, power the light and listen carefully for the shutter to make a noise. Check out if your light is working on hi and low.

My shutter clicked but didn't have any movement. Do to the wires in the way.
    When I reposition the wires this fixed the problem.

There's an excellent U-Tube video on this headlight R and I.
    Yes, it is a bit of a hassle but, I enjoyed the challenge.
    My local Spyder Dealer was going to charge $150.00 per hour. So I saved $300.00.

Any more questions just ask.

Stay Healthy. ....

Good Luck with your Mission.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue