Spyder Garage

Default My F3S Bags - Function over Form

New to Forum but not new to Spyders. Bought the 1st Spyder that came to CO after seeing prototype at CanAm Dealer show in Vegas 2006. Invited into the show after-hours by some dealers I met in a bar. Waited 9 months for delivery.

Owned and rode Harleys at the time but thought the Spyder would be fun. Harley buddies (including my wife) thought it looked silly and would not ride with me. Figured out after 5 lonely months the trike was poorly made and sold it. Back to only the Street Glide (my wife never quit riding her Fat Boy).

Breaking my neck in a golf cart accident (very dangerous sport) five years ago, age and balance caused me to stop riding. Eventually my wife quit and sold hers too.

Decided a year ago we needed to somehow get back on the road. Test road HD both size trikes but neither of us enjoyed them. Loved the look but the solid rear axle makes riding a chore instead of a joy. Started reading about Spyders on this Forum and the more I read the better they sounded. Thanks everyone for the great insights.

Pulled the trigger in December on a 2022 F3L Special Edition and a 2022 F3S. We both loved the look of the F3S but figured for day rides in CO we needed the extra storage of the F3L for weather gear. Also, if I go barhopping with just the guys, I can take the smaller, sportier F3S.

The problem is to go on 6-10 day trips (Sturgis, AZ Bike Week), even putting a t-bag on mine and loading up her F3S behind her, we would need more room. Might do a trailer someday but not soon. Looked at the obvious Shad and Givi options, but it seems they are not really waterproof., and not crazy about side opening. Since the bags on her trike will only be on for long, overnight rides, I started looking for top loading pannier style bags that would come off quickly and be fully waterproof – function over style.

After a lot of online research, I happened upon AcmeMoto2 polypropylene (most are aluminum and dent) panniers. Made in the US, they are ridiculously robust and 100% waterproof – same style latches as on Yeti coolers. To make them super quick on and off, I bolted the provided bag quick detach mounting plate to Easy Mount lockable brackets. Literally less than 30 seconds on or off each side. Leaving the Easy Bracket and plate locked to the trike its less than 10 second on or off.

We went with the optional wax canvas bags for easy packing. The smaller lid bag is attached to the lid, providing a quick access place without digging or unpacking. Dual locks as well as a padlock flange make these super secure.

I know that style is purely subjective, but the functionality of these bags is very attractive. Putting the two trikes side by side, my F3L Special looks cool and comfortable, while her F3S with bags on screams adventure. A big added bonus is the side plates can not only hold any type of soft bag but come with holes specific for mounting Givi Mono Key bags. I believe you can buy these separate from the panniers.

Sorry for the long post – won’t ever happen again, but hopefully it explains the title of the post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:52 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Style is purely subjective. Certainly true, but what's most important is that you are happy with them and are out enjoying riding your Spyder more. That's why we're all here.

Spyder Garage

They will get the job done. I fitted some thrifty priced waterproof cases from Bunnings (low priced hardware store) to my DR650 for trips away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCraig View Post
    The problem is to go on 6 to 10 day trips (Sturgis, AZ Bike Week), even putting a t-bag on mine and loading up her F3S behind her, we would need more room.
    You just need more practice at packing. LOL

Wife and I go to Sturgis every few years. We did it on Harleys and have been twice on Spyder (F3L). I will admit our first 2-week trip we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies but have since learned how to be more frugal with our gear, and depending on weather and such we might do one load of washing along the way. Coming from AZ we need to have warm weather gear, cold weather gear (for the Colorado mountains), and of course rain gear.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-04-2023 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Your bags look great.Oct 18 02.jpg
    2015 F3S , Orange