RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Line Chafing on my Spyder

I really hate all the bad press going on because I love my Spyder and so does my wife! I hope this is actually some useful information that can use this forum in a positive way and Maybe help with one of the big issues. Whether this is relevant or not, I can not say for sure, but I think it is relevant enough to mention. I normally inspect fuel lines, water hoses, oil lines, etc for chafing when I do routine maintenance. Maybe lots of folks do, but some of these habits come from my aircraft background.

Anyhow, I found a spot on my Spyder where the fuel line rubs on the cylinder head right at the seam between the valve cover and the cylinder head. There is a bit of a sharp edge there. Now there is not much rubber missing on my fuel line, but there is a definite scoop of rubber missing. I have about 7k miles on mine, and IF your valve cover edge was a bit sharper (easily could be since its the edge of a casting) and if you have alot more miles, or if your fuel line is rubbing harder, there is a possibility this could penetrate all the way through over time.

I will be putting some chafing gear on my fuel line in this spot, and replacing the line.

I really hope this helps, I would encourage others to take a look at this spot. Just take off the right side cover with the 4 6mm torx screws and it's right there. Feel behind your fuel line with your fingers. It will be interesting to see what people find. If anyone finds a fuel line worn through even more than mine......please post.

Hope this is helpful,

Mad Matt

Spyder Garage

Firefly pointed this out a while back. I inspected mine and found the same thing, so I covered it with split loom. The newer Spyders already have this corrugated tubing cover. Thanks for the reminder that it is essential to carefully inspect all the details of a motorcycle periodically, including all fasteners, tires, suspension components, safety equipment, electrical wiring, and fuel systems. If you haven't done this lately owners, especially owners of 2008 Spyders, do it now! The Spyder you save could be your own.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

with Scotty. Just checked mine 09 SE and the fuel line has the plastic loom over it.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

+1

My 2008 SE5 was built in November and has the split loom on the fuel line.
    I think that this is an indicator that BRP has at least some rudiments of a Quality Improvement Program in place which is why I think that eventually they will get the steering problem(s?) solved.

Still good idea to check around in there on a regular basis with your hand on the tubing as what you can't see on the backside of the hose/wiring is what will get you.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    +1

My 2008 SE5 was built in November and has the split loom on the fuel line.
    I think that this is an indicator that BRP has at least some rudiments of a Quality Improvement Program in place which is why I think that eventually they will get the steering problem(s?) solved.

Still good idea to check around in there on a regular basis with your hand on the tubing as what you can't see on the backside of the hose/wiring is what will get you.
    I wonder why BRP didn't put out a service bulletin to loom up the earlier '08s? The guinnie pigs are expandable?
    Last edited by M2Wild; 10-30-2009 at 07:05 AM.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    The guinnie pigs are expandable?
    ...calculated casualties...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

My 2008 SE5 built in June of 2008 has the split loom on it so I would guess that BRP figured out relatively early that the rubbing could be a problem.
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    My 2008 SE5 built in June of 2008 has the split loom on it so I would guess that BRP figured out relatively early that the rubbing could be a problem.
    Sounds like it. Our PE Spyder built in February of 2008 had no protective cover.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    I wonder why BRP didn't put out a service bulletin to loom up the earlier '08s? The guinnie pigs are expandable?
    Because if they had to add a .22 cent piece of tubing over the fuel line of every "early build Spyder" think of what it would cost them

The simplier, less costly solution is just to write off the fire issue, close the book on it, and deny all responsibility.

Penny wise, but pound foolish....it will come back to haunt them, just wait and see !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Fond memories of the ford pinto

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This was a very helpful post... until the BRP bashing started. Those so unhappy with BRP really ought to sell their Spyders and buy something from another manufacturer they can complain about.
    08 Spyder SM5, Phantom kit, Hindle exhaust, otherwise stock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcbatt View Post
    This was a very helpful post... until the BRP bashing started. Those so unhappy with BRP really ought to sell their Spyders and buy something from another manufacturer they can complain about.

I hear Harley has a new 'Perfect-a-Glide' coming out that does everything perfectly - will never break down or require any maintenance or updates at all !

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I hear Harley has a new 'Perfect-a-Glide' coming out that does everything perfectly - will never break down or require any maintenance or updates at all !
    Don't forget, it also gets 100 mpg!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

I want it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jcbatt View Post
    Actualy in CT you can use the Lemon Law no bashing here but 9 long stays at dealer in year and a half qualifies so people are being patient but if and when the stearing issues happen to me it will be the last straw.Now I realey like this thing but it has to be dependable and reasonably safe so my opinion is people on here have the right to vent there frustrations.I also do beleive they will have this figured out soon and a major recall down the pike butt will have to say last update best this thing has ran in almost 20k miles.Bashing is when another person starts telling another person what to do with there vechicle like you are doing and alot of people here have other bikes and vechicles so if I like the or not is my buisness and once I get 30k 40k I wont give a if I get a depraciated price for it but to take almost 20 grand not counting building a garage for it is just nuts

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

40k and no maint just tires and brakes all the other 12 I have had got there with just do it yourself maint tires and breaks but I do agree everthing req Maint and thers always a lemon in everthing made just not a whole tree

Spyder Garage

Looms are cheap. Harbor Freight have big bags of them things for peanut change. Will cover all the fuel lines this winter when the Spyder is all apart. I might even go ahead and wrap the exaust.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Amen Brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Actualy in CT you can use the Lemon Law no bashing here but 9 long stays at dealer in year and a half qualifies so people are being patient but if and when the stearing issues happen to me it will be the last straw.Now I realey like this thing but it has to be dependable and reasonably safe so my opinion is people on here have the right to vent there frustrations.I also do beleive they will have this figured out soon and a major recall down the pike butt will have to say last update best this thing has ran in almost 20k miles.Bashing is when another person starts telling another person what to do with there vechicle like you are doing and alot of people here have other bikes and vechicles so if I like the or not is my buisness and once I get 30k 40k I wont give a if I get a depraciated price for it but to take almost 20 grand not counting building a garage for it is just nuts

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Abrasive Rub Is There!

Yep .....At 7k mileage I have same abrasive dish out in exact same spot.Will be loom wrapped before next ride!!
    Tis a shame we have to be so pro-active in knocking out punch list items that are concerning!Has anybody tallied the 08 vs 09 model fires??I have not kept track but wonder if one year is weighted over the other??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Or in military terms, "acceptable losses".

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Anybody want to bet on the guy who's spyder got on fire in his garage this might have been the problem ...If i remember right thay dident find out on what started the fire. my facts maybe wrong but its been a while sence i think it was sometime this early summer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ld271 View Post
    Anybody want to bet on the guy who's spyder got on fire in his garage this might have been the problem ...If i remember right thay dident find out on what started the fire. my facts maybe wrong but its been a while sence i think it was sometime this early summer
    To avoid these issues, I got a piece of lead line the stuff used to secure chain link fense to the post. I bent a piece into a line holder and fastened it to the hole on the cylinder head bracket. It holds the line away from the motor and prevents rubbing 5 minute job and about 20cents.
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.