Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Need Advice on keeping your helmet face shield from freezing over

I just switched jobs and I now go over two mountains on I-70 to get to work.

I have a Bell Eliminator full helmet (it's in my sig pic below) with the pro visor face shield that is not supposed to fog up.

It was 24 deg out this morning and my face shield kept freezing over from my breath in the helmet off and on.

It would clear up some at faster highway speeds with plenty of air going through the vents but when I would start slowing down it would freeze over again.

I am wearing a snowsuit with a hood and a full face helmet liner (only a strip around my eyes exposed )underneath the hood to keep the cold air from the vents in the helmet from hitting my face.

Any suggestions to keep it from freezing over?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-11-2023 at 06:44 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rainx for plastic.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I just switched jobs and I now go over two mountains on I-70 to get to work.

I have a Bell Eliminator full helmet (it's in my sig pic below) with the pro visor face shield that is not supposed to fog up.

It was 24 deg out this morning and my face shield kept freezing over from my breath in the helmet off and on.

It would clear up some at faster highway speeds with plenty of air going through the vents but when I would start slowing down it would freeze over again.

I am wearing a snowsuit with a hood and a full face helmet liner (only a strip around my eyes exposed )underneath the hood to keep the cold air from the vents in the helmet from hitting my face.

Any suggestions to keep it from freezing over?

Thanks in advance
    If the RAIN-X doesn't do it ...... Check out DENNISKIRK - snowmobile catalog ..... they sell HEATED visors and kits to add them to any visor ..... 24 F ... you are one brave dude .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

if you can try a pinlock on the visor. It it traps a bubble of air and helps to keep the visor clear.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    if you can try a pinlock on the visor. It it traps a bubble of air and helps to keep the visor clear.
    i'll second that!!! just bought a used one, the face shield stays clear, its my glasses that fog up. just a simple open the visor one tad, goes away. after i get going, my breath cools down and i can close that visor all the way. helmet is a modular too

you have the F3 too, with a lower windshield, gotta get that windshield up if you can to put air over top of you. even if you buy one for just for the harshest part of winter and change it out. if you go thru any moist air, with the wind chill and below freezing temps, will ice over.

i'm a year round motorcycle rider too, but in a better climate in NC, not with the spyder, but with the honda NT700. have rode to work everyday since Feb 7, 2022, so coming up on 1 yr ALL M/C. wohoo!!
    Last edited by Woodaddict; 01-12-2023 at 12:37 AM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anti fog insert really works. Doesn’t fog up.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/fog-c...hoCHJkQAvD_BwE
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Keep shield open to first detent works for me.

Spyder Garage

Mine used to only fog up when I came to a stop. It would stay clear while moving. I would pop the shield open about half inch just before coming to the stops.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I find from snowmobiling that air flow is a big factor in keeping your shield clear! If you have a beard and it is bushy, it will plug the hole around your neck and stop the air flow, in that case you may need to crack you shield just a crack, open your top vent up, and or open your nose vent! Once you find the right combination your fogging will get better. Wet hair, or sweat will set off the fog also! Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I got this one!!! Ride in weather above 32 degrees! I love solving problems!!!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If the RAIN-X doesn't do it ...... Check out DENNISKIRK - snowmobile catalog ..... they sell HEATED visors and kits to add them to any visor ..... 24 F ... you are one brave dude .......... Mike
    Normally with it being this cold there is usually some salt down and I don't take it out when salt is down.

But it warmed up and rained then got cold clearing and drying the roads for me to ride. I bought a snowsuit last year for cold weather riding plus I wear long johns.

It is a big blue snowsuit and my wife calls it my smurf suit.

I went out riding for the first time last weekend with some 2 wheelers having fun keeping up with some BMW's and Triumph tigers on the backroads of Va. ,West Va. , and Md. One of the guys in the group said I looked like a Giant teletubby with my helmet off at one of the stops and hood on over my head.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

There aren't any mountains in Florida.
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
    Nope, no mountains, but plenty of mornings it is too foggy to see 100 feet in front of you. That fogs up face shields too.

Some days the fog doesn't burn off until about noon.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have two words of advice. Get a Klim avalanche balaclava with a breath guard or get a snowmobile helmet that is made to deflect the breathing. I snow crossed raced for many years and never once had my goggles fog up, and believe me I was 100 plus degrees and sweating in colder temps than that. I have the BRP MOD 2 and 3 snowmobile helmets and again with no heated visor and put easy 40k on snowmobile since 2000 and never had one fog up and we ride in Michigan, Canada and out west on much much colder days than 24. Thats trail and mountain riding. The deflection and air flow is what’s important, but the helmet is also important. I suggest spray it with cats crap, and crack the bottom of the visor or one side up 1/2 click. Then put a balaclava on that will deflects your breathing down. Open all the vents and keep the air moving.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 01-13-2023 at 01:50 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    Pinlock visor for your helmet if you can get one. They really work.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never could understand leaving your visor open (or cracking it) in very cold weather when a heated shield takes care of all those problems. One of our reasons for wearing a helmet and visor was to stay warm.
    Last edited by Saluda; 01-13-2023 at 03:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I saw a 'Mountain' in Florida! When I got to my relatives house I told them about it. They laughed and said it was a trash landfill. Because the water table is so close to the surface, they can't bury it like most people would. They just pile it up and put sand over the layers. They told me that Florida is just a huge sandbar. I guess they are right.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Nope, no mountains, but plenty of mornings it is too foggy to see 100 feet in front of you. That fogs up face shields too.

Some days the fog doesn't burn off until about noon.
    I have gone through a lot of fog and rain and never had a problem with fogging until I hit this colder weather and it's just the stock bell eliminator helmet with the pro-visor that came with it.

I have been very pleased with it. I did have some rain blow through the vents (you can't close vents) on it but I was doing about 20-30 mph in a heavy downpour on my trip this summer, it hit my chin then ran down over my rain gear. But no fog.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-13-2023 at 05:25 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Is so
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troop; 01-14-2023 at 09:09 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

snowmobile helmet with dual panes.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here, Will my first suggestion would be NOT TO BE RIDING in 20 Degree weather....
    however since you are a real MAN, unlike me who feels it is freezing if it's in the 50''s
    There are a few things I used to use when I was young and lived in Utah and felt the need to
    toss a leg over my motorcycle.... try cutting a good old Idaho potato in half and rub it on the inside of your
    face shield, that used to work in the old days before all the new stuff on the market.... Also Try RainX.
    Maybe put a shout out to our friends to the NORTH and see what they use while riding their snow machines..
    Good Luck
    Dave

Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Hey.... That's what I said

Spyder Garage

What about that one at Disney World ?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I have the nike balaclava currently but I'll try the klim balaclava and rain-x combo and see if this helps if I get another chance to ride with it that cold with no salt on the ground.

I don't do it much but when I do I want to know I can keep control of it, especially when moving at highway speeds during cold pre-dawn hours around a bunch of 18 wheelers.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black