Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutus450 View Post
    thats exactly my point in the other post I had and nearly got castrated for it!
    Well, give his post a few days. It may turn out he gets the same treatment.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Well, give his post a few days. It may turn out he gets the same treatment.
    ...........I hope not

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutus450 View Post
    thats exactly my point in the other post I had and nearly got castrated for it!
    I ain't afraid of no knife.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Sorry Scotty, I have to disagree, just this once.......LOL

Ignorance might be bliss, and I guess it works for some folks, but I'd MUCH prefer to run with all the information I can.....If we don't discuss problems, how can we find a solution? Or lean on the manufacturer? Although at times, things look gloomy, so does anything in life. This too shall pass......I think the answer lies in keeping it in perspective as it applies to YOUR OWN situation. But I need to be armed with all the information I can in order to do that....

I'd rather be aware and be prepared for a possible incident, than to have something strike out of the clear blue sky, because I didn't pay attention to the chatter.....
    I have to agree with you when that flury of information is based on FACTS. Unfortunately, of late, much, not all but quite a bit of the "facts" in recent posts are in reality just opinions and speculation!! While everybody is truly entitled to their opinions, opinions do not resolve problems. Well thought out, well researched quantitative analysis solves problems. Several spyderlovers have attempted to do this by at the very least trying to determine the scope of the problems. You know like what model year had the fires, spyders running or stopped, problems before or after updates, what category of mods and yet this has still not been accomplished because the focus has been on complaining or voicing ones discontent with BRP.

Come on people, instead of the continual BRP and spyder bashing and/or negativity lets actually try to get some factual data that we can collectively provide to BRP to assist in resolving the problems. I was always taught by my parents that it is ALWAYS BETTER TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION THEN PART OF THE PROBLEM !

OK I am ready to be castrated now by my fellow spyderlovers....bring on the blade !
    Last edited by rleathen; 11-01-2009 at 09:35 AM.
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    OK I am ready to be castrated now by my fellow spyderlovers....bring on the blade !
    Ouch! Now that's a little harsh don't ya think?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Ouch! Now that's a little harsh don't ya think?
    Harsh, nope just a reality of the forum of late. Those who try to push for a focus on the positive and trying to focus on positive fact based solutions tend to be a target of those who believe that that in some way infringes on their right to voice their negative opinions and complaints about the spyder and/or BRP.
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Harsh, nope just a reality of the forum of late. Those who try to push for a focus on the positive and trying to focus on positive fact based solutions tend to be a target of those who believe that that in some way infringes on their right to voice their negative opinions and complaints about the spyder and/or BRP.

Spyder Garage

2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

If we can work together as a collective team and attempt to figure out what Spyders are having problems it may be a big help. It could be just one batch that has a faulty part installed in it, but chances are there is a common denominator somewhere. Just like there may be a needle in the hay stack.

It would probably not be a good idea to begin posting VIN numbers of those Spyders that are having problems, but at a minimum the posts should contain basic things such as the year, model, mileage, and mods if any.

I know Lamont posted the sticky thread for people with continuing problems and how to report them. Perhaps if some of that same information was posted by those with these problems a thread may start to unravel that leads to the actual cause.

I am not trying to cause any more controversy, just trying to help figure things out as best we can in an attempt to get everyone back on the road safely.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Like many...

I have now gone over all our spyders with a fine tooth comb. I corrected some hose rubbing issues, some heat retention insulation was added to the manifold and a hose or two was lengthened to put fuel fumes away from hot components. Our spyders are all doing great and we consider the above items just routine maintenance and normal improvement modifications.

By close inspection and some minor maintenance improvements or modifications we spyder riders will all have good experiences.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

I dont want any one to get the wrong impression from my last post. I absolutely love my . Out of all the bikes Ive ever owned me and the wife get more enjoyment from it than any other. It just upsets me to see so many things going wrong with so many spyders. Mine does not have many miles on it yet and im afraid that once it does the problems will begin. I just hope all these issues will get resolved because I plan on having mine for a long time. The last thing I want is for some of these issues to begin after my warranty runs out and I have to pay out of pocket for the repairs. But again, I love my spyder and I love this site! I have learned so much from all of you and am glad to be a part of such a great group of people.
    Happy Spyder Owner!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cwhcwh View Post
    I dont want any one to get the wrong impression from my last post. I absolutely love my . Out of all the bikes Ive ever owned me and the wife get more enjoyment from it than any other. It just upsets me to see so many things going wrong with so many spyders. Mine does not have many miles on it yet and im afraid that once it does the problems will begin. I just hope all these issues will get resolved because I plan on having mine for a long time. The last thing I want is for some of these issues to begin after my warranty runs out and I have to pay out of pocket for the repairs. But again, I love my spyder and I love this site! I have learned so much from all of you and am glad to be a part of such a great group of people.
    I never want to give the impression that I intend to minimize any issue that a Spyder owner is having. Still, I think problems are greatly overblown here on this forum. Not in regards to the existence of real issues. But in regards to the statistical frequency of serious problems.

It's like the rear view mirrors that say; WARNING: Objects are closer than they appear

Maybe this forum should say; WARNING: Problems with Spyders are much less frequent than they appear
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I agree with all of the people that are agreeing to disagree about agreeing------ I think......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default my 2⍧ (long version)

I was always taught by my parents that it is ALWAYS BETTER TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION THEN PART OF THE PROBLEM !
    Me too.

And . . . . how is it that Scotty can be right . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I am really sorry to hear you feel that way. I hope, like after having an accident yourself, you find a way to get past it. I never thought I'd say this, but it is beginning to look like the best way to Spyder without worry is to stay the heck off the forums! Reports of problems are useful, the continual rehashing of them is not. Now we are scaring off formerly contented owners who have had no problems and are perfectly happy. What have we done!
    . . . . and HDXbones can be right . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Sorry Scotty, I have to disagree, just this once.......LOL
    Ignorance might be bliss, and I guess it works for some folks, but I'd MUCH prefer to run with all the information I can.....If we don't discuss problems, how can we find a solution? Or lean on the manufacturer? Although at times, things look gloomy, so does anything in life. This too shall pass......I think the answer lies in keeping it in perspective as it applies to YOUR OWN situation. But I need to be armed with all the information I can in order to do that....
    I'd rather be aware and be prepared for a possible incident, than to have something strike out of the clear blue sky, because I didn't pay attention to the chatter.....
    . . . . at the same time?

I think it is because our community of SpyderLovers is made up of riders with experience levels unlike any other forum. We have lots of new riders - never been on a motor cycle. We have others that have rode for years. And we have members that KNOW motorcycles - and can build and restore them.

I agree with HDXBones, and I am sure Scotty does to; I want to hear it all and if there are problems out there, I will handle it, but I don't want it coming out of the blue if I can help it. But, for the new riders - this is shocking and unsettling. They don't have the years of experience and perspective to deal with problems. They don't have the abilities to deal with the mechanical issues of the bikes they ride.

In the old days, before the internet - you would be riding with and hanging out with the guys with experience and hear the stories and pick up tips and experience. You could also tell, being face to face, who was full of it and who you could get help from and trust. The majority of the new riders on this forum don't have that opportunity. When issues arise, no matter how serious, they tend to get overwhelmed and drown in an overload of opinion. It is hard to help a drowning person. And like Scotty, I hate to see people get pushed into uncertainty, fear, and panic.

So where is the balance? Well, for you new riders or those that are starting to feel uncertain about your Spyders - - - - PAY ATTENTION, READ IT ALL, DON'T PANIC. None of this is new, you will learn what is real and what is exaggerated. It takes time, but you can do it.

For those people who carry around baggage and want to open it for every passerby, fine. It is your opinion. We have heard it. You have made it clear. And, the more you go on about it, the less weight it carries. It is like listening to someone talk about their divorce day after day. It does not help (me) and it does not solve anything.

Probably most people who have read my postings, would put me in the "Cheerleader Section". Wrong, I have plenty of references that will swear that I am one of the most cold-hearted cynics they have ever met. I prefer, "realistic" and "pragmatic". But, I 100% agree with rleathen, I always try and focus on the solution. From the accounts of people who I judge as being reasonable and clear, BRP is working on this - hard. Solutions/fixes will be found. We can speculate, but the answers will have to come from BRP. And as HDXbones mentions, we need to stay focused on the issues and discuss them so they don't get put on the back-burner. Doing that and being focused and patient is what works and gets results in situations like this.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Me too.

. . . . and HDXbones can be right . . . . .

. . . . at the same time?

I think it is because our community of SpyderLovers is made up of riders with experience levels unlike any other forum. We have lots of new riders - never been on a motor cycle. We have others that have rode for years. And we have members that KNOW motorcycles - and can build and restore them.

I agree with HDXBones, and I am sure Scotty does to; I want to hear it all and if there are problems out there, I will handle it, but I don't want it coming out of the blue if I can help it. But, for the new riders - this is shocking and unsettling. They don't have the years of experience and perspective to deal with problems. They don't have the abilities to deal with the mechanical issues of the bikes they ride.

In the old days, before the internet - you would be riding with and hanging out with the guys with experience and hear the stories and pick up tips and experience. You could also tell, being face to face, who was full of it and who you could get help from and trust. The majority of the new riders on this forum don't have that opportunity. When issues arise, no matter how serious, they tend to get overwhelmed and drown in an overload of opinion. It is hard to help a drowning person. And like Scotty, I hate to see people get pushed into uncertainty, fear, and panic.

So where is the balance? Well, for you new riders or those that are starting to feel uncertain about your Spyders - - - - PAY ATTENTION, READ IT ALL, DON'T PANIC. None of this is new, you will learn what is real and what is exaggerated. It takes time, but you can do it.

For those people who carry around baggage and want to open it for every passerby, fine. It is your opinion. We have heard it. You have made it clear. And, the more you go on about it, the less weight it carries. It is like listening to someone talk about their divorce day after day. It does not help (me) and it does not solve anything.

Probably most people who have read my postings, would put me in the "Cheerleader Section". Wrong, I have plenty of references that will swear that I am one of the most cold-hearted cynics they have ever met. I prefer, "realistic" and "pragmatic". But, I 100% agree with rleathen, I always try and focus on the solution. From the accounts of people who I judge as being reasonable and clear, BRP is working on this - hard. Solutions/fixes will be found. We can speculate, but the answers will have to come from BRP. And as HDXbones mentions, we need to stay focused on the issues and discuss them so they don't get put on the back-burner. Doing that and being focused and patient is what works and gets results in situations like this.

Tom
    Very nicely stated.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

It's not, just ask my wife!

Seriously, I am as grateful as anyone to learn of possible difficulties via the forums. It is when these problems get continually rehashed by the same individuals, sometimes every few minutes, and when people without problems start to sell their Spyders, decide not to buy, or get paranoid every time they ride, that I begin to worry. Right now I see the death of the Spyder on the horizon, and the over-reaction to stated problems is likely to be the reason. This troubles me no end. I cannot stop this from happening, and I refuse to be castrated for my views, as has been suggested. I guess the only good answer is to leave the forums. I refuse to be associated with the possible demise of this splendid machine.

It has been fun. I will miss you all. Goodbye!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Seriously, I am as grateful as anyone to learn of possible difficulties via the forums. It is when these problems get continually rehashed by the same individuals, sometimes every few minutes, and when people without problems start to sell their Spyders, decide not to buy, or get paranoid every time they ride, that I begin to worry. Right now I see the death of the Spyder on the horizon, and the over-reaction to stated problems is likely to be the reason. This troubles me no end. I cannot stop this from happening, and I refuse to be castrated for my views, as has been suggested. I guess the only good answer is to leave the forums. I refuse to be associated with the possible demise of this splendid machine.

I agree with you Scotty, but don't leave. I've learned a lot from reading your posts along with Lamont and a couple of others. If your name appears on a post I make a point of reading it. Always right on and not stiring the pot so to speak. Comon sense. So again, don't leave...

Juice (Stan)
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Come on dude, bring the football back - this is a forum (doesn't forum mean ?) - I think it's good we all talk about stuff. Your expertise on machines is INVALUABLE here along with other fellow gear heads. Some people are gonna panic, some will get p*ssed (like me but I'm holding out hope ) and some will continue to ask questions. It's a friggin melting pot in here. Not everyone thinks along the same lines - that is what makes this place so interesting

Sure there's alot of different opinions and speculation going on but I learn from everyone every day. If it's not one thing, it's another and it's the same way in life off the internet. There will be days where you can't or don't wanna swallow that pill and days it goes down so good, you don't even need water.

Spyder Garage

Tom
    My opinion:

This should be "Required Reading" before being allowed access to the forums.

Just MPO.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[quote=Spyderjuice;156330]I agree with you Scotty, but don't leave. I've learned a lot from reading your posts along with Lamont and a couple of others. If your name appears on a post I make a point of reading it. Always right on and not stiring the pot so to speak. Comon sense. So again, don't leave...

Spyder Garage

The demise of the Spyder (which I do not see happening) will not come from "My Spyder has a Problem" posts on this forum. It will come from good owners (like you Scotty) throwing in the towel...

I think the Spyder has created a phenomena that many of us do not realize and it is fueling, somewhat, the negative streak we go through from time to time.

What I mean is, the Spyder is the first "Motorcycle" that many have ever owned. And I think the 1st time buyer numbers are huge in comparison to most, if not all, other models out there.

These are people who are accustomed to buying a new car, putting the key in the ignition, taking it to the dealer when required and that's about it.

A motocycle is a completely different animal and requires a little different approach or mind set, if you will. This typically takes place over time and after owning a few motorcycles.

I think this is at least part of what frustrates people like me and Scotty. Not that we have all the answers or want to tell people with issues to go away. Not at all.

I see Scotty, and others, with a great deal of motorcycle experience trying to impart this special motorcycle mind set they have aquired (and probably didn't even realize it). And they get frustrated because it takes time and just doesn't happen quickly.

In a lot of ways, the Spyder is the perfect 1st time buyer's motorcycle. It is safe and has a very easy learning curve. You don't have to hold the Spyder up, it has incredible stability going slow or fast, it's very easy to operate and very forgiving if you make a mistake.

In other words, you can get on the Spyder, relax and just have fun with it almost right out of the dealership parking lot. None of this is true of any 2 wheeled motorcyle (for the 1st time buyer).

One of the driving forces (IMHO) behind the heavy load of negativity we are experiencing here lately is the fact that many Spyder owners have not had any experience or background with this type of vehicle as most other model owners would.

I'm not saying this is an excuse for problems with the Spyder. I'm just saying I think it skews the overall, collective response to problems.

It blows me away that many owners of perfectly good Spyders, who have never had an issue with their ride, are so quick to park it in fear because someone else posted a problem with theirs.

You will not find that kind of reaction with Harley riders, Honda's, BMW's, Triumphs, or any other motorcycle out there. I think it is because most of these are not 1st time owners of a motorcycle.
    I know this argument is not rock solid and you are to poke holes in it. But I'd ask SpyderLovers to give the thought a spin and consider it before they throw in the towel.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Intresting post so far

[quote=mike3069;156356]My opinion:

This should be "Required Reading" before being allowed access to the forums.

I have be reading this forum for the past few months. I have owned my spyder for about a month now and purchased it pre-owned. Its has had the first steering update and the parking update. I have no other issues with my toy. It is going in next week for the ground wire update. I love driving it and always have a grin when riding it. My look at the whole situation is there is nothing that I can to do to prevent what may or may not happen. Guess thats why I have a warrenty and insurance. I think most of us have had issues with things that we have owned. What do we do? We either get it fixed or get rid of it. I have few joys in my life (kids, spyder, wife) maybe not in that order but I will continue to enjoy it..

Spyder Garage

(Jump on soapbox) Speaking from this lofty height, I want to tell you all that the existence of the Spyder has allowed me to once again, after 30 years, allowed me to experience the wind on my face on the public highways of America. I am incredibly grateful to BRP for making this possible.

I, like Scotty, am very concerned that the continued hoopla COULD lead to the disappearance of this wonderful option for myself and others like me.

Our tendency, as a society, to refuse to take personal responsibility for our own actions has lead to lawyers deciding what we are allowed to do and experience. By making others (manufacturers, providers etc.) pay when WE make choices that result in undesired results, the burden of responsibility is removed from us as individuals, leading to the bad habit of not making well thought out, responsible choices.

The liability laws here in the USA seem to me to be created in an effort to upset the Darwinism theory, creating a gene pool that perpetuates the existence of a population without the common sense to understand that bad choices lead to bad results.

If this ultimately results in BRP exiting the market because of percieved legal problems, it will be the ultimate slap in the face for me personally (due to the loss of MY ability to chose the risks I wish to engage in), not to mention the implied inability of our society to make individual choices without the intervention of some higher authority in our lives to make us "safe" for our own thinking.

(Step off soapbox)

I'll go away now.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    (Jump on soapbox) Speaking from this lofty height, I want to tell you all that the existence of the Spyder has allowed me to once again, after 30 years, allowed me to experience the wind on my face on the public highways of America. I am incredibly grateful to BRP for making this possible.

I, like Scotty, am very concerned that the continued hoopla COULD lead to the disappearance of this wonderful option for myself and others like me.

Our tendency, as a society, to refuse to take personal responsibility for our own actions has lead to lawyers deciding what we are allowed to do and experience. By making others (manufacturers, providers etc.) pay when WE make choices that result in undesired results, the burden of responsibility is removed from us as individuals, leading to the bad habit of not making well thought out, responsible choices.

The liability laws here in the USA seem to me to be created in an effort to upset the Darwinism theory, creating a gene pool that perpetuates the existence of a population without the common sense to understand that bad choices lead to bad results.

If this ultimately results in BRP exiting the market because of percieved legal problems, it will be the ultimate slap in the face for me personally (due to the loss of MY ability to chose the risks I wish to engage in), not to mention the implied inability of our society to make individual choices without the intervention of some higher authority in our lives to make us "safe" for our own thinking.

(Step off soapbox)

I'll go away now.

Wow somebody else that actually sees the big picture. Very well said.

Spyder Garage

Scotty, my friend, I don't believe you are leaving. You just bought a new RT-S, and you are as addicted to this forum as all the rest of us (look at the number of posts you have to your credit). Besides that, you love motorcycles almost as much as I do , and this is the best motorcycle forum on the internet. Right now, you are hyperventilating and indulging in the kind of over-reaction that annoys you so much when others do it.

I am certain that the sky will not fall. BRP will not go out of business. The Spyder will continue to be ever more successful. The safety issues will be solved. In the future we will describe this experience as "growing pains".

All mechanical/software problems have solutions. Not all people problems have solutions, so we need a lot of tolerance in our expectations of others. I do not have a problem with what is happening now on this forum. I see a lot of really nice people struggling to find answers to the questions that concern them the most. I want to know what they think.

Scotty, take a little while off from the forum and then come back to resume your place as respected (even revered) elder in the Spyder community. Your contributions have helped me far more than you can know. I think of you as a friend, even though I have never met you in person. I did live in Ann Arbor for many years (up the road a ways).