Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Yellow Spyder Fire

Great fall evening last night. Trying to get another ride in before this weather changes. Riding bike and see some smoke and next thing I fell in heat and see flames......Got my butt off the bike and called Fire Department.......

Will post pic later.......But the entire front end is gone .......Lost my laptop and a camera .....This is crazy they have to find out the cause before someone get hurt...... Or is it going to take someone to get hurt before they do something about this?????
    One's Spyder is a Reflection of one's mind

Spyder Garage

Yikes

Did you have the 2nd update (the longer vent tube) done?
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I am so sorry for your losses. Sure glad to hear you didn't get hurt. It's been a long time, since we have heard about any fires. Keep us posted.
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Send me your info that I asked for on this link and I'll make sure BRP is on it.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14122

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about this bro.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Oh boy - so glad you are ok! How long were you on the bike with it started before the fire started? What was the temp outside? Just curious.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    " . . . . . Riding bike and see some smoke and next thing I fell in heat and see flames......"
    Haven't the previous fires occurred after the bike had been ridden - while the bike sitting still?
    Is this the first Spyder to catch fire while being ridden?
    It would be interesting to look at all the VIN #'s / manufacture dates.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Mr. K.
    The Breeze

Spyder Garage

And you didn't feel any hotness when riding? Thank God you didn't park it in the barn! Wow!

Yes I was riding last night rode about 15 miles or so......Outside temp was in the low 50"s....Yes cool

Pulled into my driveway at the end near the road. Got off of it walk across the stree to check the mail box and turned around and saw smoke and and some flames from up front ......

I left bike running since i was only walking across road to grab mail and then would of pulled up and parked in barn............Good thing it happened and end of drive.......I could of lost barn and house.....

No I was not Hurt

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh man, that sucks. Sorry for your loss.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No did not feel anything strange............All seemed normal.......

And yes very glad I did not get hurt
    One's Spyder is a Reflection of one's mind

Spyder Garage

Not trying to be picky, just trying to clarify.

1st post says you were riding, saw smoke, felt heat, then flames. You jumped off and called the fire department.

2nd post says you parked (leaving the Spyder running), got off to get your mail, turned around and saw smoke and flames.

There have been no Spyders, to my knowledge, reported to have caught fire while riding or traveling down the road. Yours would be the 1st (depending on which details are correct).

I realize the main point of your post is that your Spyder caught fire and I am very sorry to hear this. Get the info to Lamont that he asked for so he can help get you on a fast track with BRP.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron,

There was one that I know of. He had just picked it up from being serviced at dealer and had ridden not even 1/4 mile and had smoke and then supposely fire by time he turned it and made it back to the dealer. Again.. that could have been anything... solvent left over from the service, a rag left inside...or something with the Spyder.. The post is here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

1st post says you were riding, saw smoke, felt heat, then flames. You jumped off and called the fire department.

2nd post says you parked (leaving the Spyder running), got off to get your mail, turned around and saw smoke and flames.

There have been no Spyders, to my knowledge, reported to have caught fire while riding or traveling down the road. Yours would be the 1st (depending on which details are correct).

I realize the main point of your post is that your Spyder caught fire and I am very sorry to hear this. Get the info to Lamont that he asked for so he can help get you on a fast track with BRP.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Ron: You are wrong about this. My fire (first we know of) started as I was riding my Spyder into the garage. There have been others where the fire started while riding, or just after stopping. Check the old posts.

Spyder Garage

There was one where the guy was riding in the mountains with a group and had to pull over due to flames. They posted pics and everything. Think it was a red Spyder.

The one that Wackydan mentioned really wasn't a 'fire' - the person left the dealership and had smoke - I think they found that to be one of his NMN mods installed wrong that went up in smoke.

It seems the second post was removed by the poster.???? Strange indeed.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Great fall evening last night. Trying to get another ride in before this weather changes. Riding bike and see some smoke and next thing I fell in heat and see flames......Got my butt off the bike and called Fire Department.......

Will post pic later.......But the entire front end is gone .......Lost my laptop and a camera .....This is crazy they have to find out the cause before someone get hurt...... Or is it going to take someone to get hurt before they do something about this?????
    Mr. K: Did you have the canisterectomy done on your Spyder? How about the crankcase breather catchcan modification? If not, please do these things. The evap canister is the prime suspect in the fires.

Six out of the seven previous fires that we know of occurred in southern states, and in the summer, where a hot climate seem to be the common denominator. Illinois was the exception. Because of this, I did not expect to see any more fires until next summer, or possibly never, if enough canisterectomies were performed. Your fire would indicate that maybe a hot climate is not the common denominator???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    Ron: You are wrong about this. My fire (first we know of) started as I was riding my Spyder into the garage. There have been others where the fire started while riding, or just after stopping. Check the old posts.
    All the incidents I remembered happened just after stopping from a ride.

Alzheimer's....Sorry, now that I've been (gracioiusly, thank you) reminded I do remember that incident.

I will sit down now....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It seems the second post was removed by the poster.???? Strange indeed.
    You're right! It is gone!???

Spyder Garage

I'm so sorry to hear this but so glad that you weren't injured. I hope your insurance covers everything and that BRP works well with you.

My better half and the best dad ever!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your . Glad to hear that you are okay.

David
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

Several folks have mentioned the clamps that hold the fuel line onto the filter have been loose. I checked mine and as soon as I touched it gas dripped from the connection. Replaced with worm gear clamps and all is well. My $ is on this being the cause of at least some of these fires.

Spyder Garage

OK, so I am confused. We are all glad you were not hurt, but I have a question. If the front end of the Spyder is gone, where did the fire start? I had the impression from what I have read in the past that the fires were in the area of the engine, not the front end where there is nothing but a trunk, wheels, etc. Just wondering?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that your alright, but sorry to hear about the loss of your Spyder. Hope that all gets fixed quickly for you.

Spyder Garage

Not good at all... glad to hear you are ok, but so sorry for your loss. Thank goodness for insurance. Again, so glad u are ok.
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Mr. K's Spyder