Spyder Garage

Default What year Spyder RT Ltd should I be looking at? We want a 1330? Purchased a 2020RTL

I previously owned a 2011 Spyder RT Limited but sold it a few years ago to go back to 2 wheels.
    At 68 I bought a Yamaha XMAX 300 scooter and love it but would like to buy something with three wheels that my wife and I can ride together.
    I want to buy another RT Limited but want the 1330 engine so I will be looking at 2014 and newer.
    Looking at used models there is not a significant difference between the prices of a 2014 and a 2020.
    Are there any more issues with one year model than the other? Any issues that I should look for while inspecting them.
    I would not mind spending a little more money for a newer year model if it has low mileage.
    I don't plan to buy anything until at least the middle of January.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JCOTE9OFD; 01-04-2023 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents, is if the prices are pretty close, go with the newer. It may even still have a sliver of warranty or the B.E.S.T. extended warranty on it
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'd suggest you go with the 2020.
    There was a design change in 2020, larger seats, better suspension, more comfort.
    As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Your Choice

....Let's talk about this one a little bit. So are you thinking about getting a 3 wheel bike? Or are you wanting a 3 wheel bike?
    Is there money for the bike and the service costs?
    Spyder's are an expensive play toy. If you are still able to do most service work that is a big plus.

I have a friend who had to have a Spyder. A year later he had to sell. Health issues and money problems.

Don't get me wrong but I'm still enjoying the 'wind therapy' on my Spyder. I am retired and beginning to see things in a different way. Do your homework and find out what is best for you.

Good Luck on Your Mission.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

We went from a 2012 RTS to a new 2022 RTL, and I can tell you there is a BIG difference with 20 and up new style models, Once you ride one you can't go back to the older style. At least that's my opinion, Its better in every way.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Mine is s 2015 RT-S I bought used with 436 miles on the odometer, while my wife's is s 2021 Sea to Sky purchased new last year. It replaced her 2012 RT-S twin. Both are very good long distance touring machines, but the 2021 is more comfortable in our opinions. In fact, I envision my 2015 being replaced with a 2020+ version sooner or later.

It is worth it, to keep an eye on Spyders for sale here on the forum because I tend to believe most are well cared for by serious Spyder enthusiasts. Low mileage does have its benefits but very low mileage for a given year model might indicate it has been ignored garage queen.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Okay, I will add my 2 cents, I have a 2017 RTL with just over 27000 miles on it now. I bought it used, 1 owner, in July 2020 with 5300 miles on it. I Ryde 2 up 99% of the time and pull my Can Am Freedom Trailer sometimes.
    I have not had 1 problem with this Spyder. I do my own maintenance since I am a 2 hr Ryde from the closest Spyder dealer. As some have said, go with the newest you can afford, but do not count out an older Spyder as they can be just as good or equal to the newer models out there.
    Ryding safe and enjoying the Ryde
    Artie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2022 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will agree with the "get the newest one you can afford" philosophy, but will add a couple points that were gathered in our search a couple of years ago.

1. The 1330 engine started with the 2014 model, as you have noted. There were minor improvements just about every year.

2. The 2018 model changed the styling of the dashboard and went just about totally BlueTooth for any communication duties. This added a bit of hassle for those who wanted communications with their passenger or other nearby riders.

3. The 2020 model changed virtually everything except the drivetrain. All communication is still BlueTooth-based.

Based on this, we were very happy to find a 2017 RT-S. It has no BlueTooth anything, and we love it.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All depends on what you want to spend. If I was looking, I would consider a 2020 or newer simply because I like the body style better and it will probably be under warranty and the extended warranty can still be purchased. If the 2020 is in the upper limits of the budget, then I would go with a 2014-2017. That would possibly be in the cheaper category and not having to deal with the digital dash is a plus (for me). With the exception of the digital dash, there is no need to spend more for a 2018-2019 and have the same setup and seating position as the older simpler model.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The good thing...all of the 1330's are great. no major issues except for the DESS problem which was mostly with the 2014's. I had one, no issues. Traded off in 2019 at 46K miles.

2014 through 2019 have the same body style. 2020 and up had a major body change. All powered by the same 1330 engine. A very good unit in my opinion.

That being said, take your pick and buy the one your pocketbook is comfortable with.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-19-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2020+
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am stilled undecided but feel I will probably go with a 2020 or newer but if the right 2016-2017 pops up locally I may buy it.

I would like to stay under $23k but don't plan to buy anything until Mid January or later.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCOTE9OFD View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I am stilled undecided but feel I will probably go with a 2020 or newer but if the right 2016-2017 pops up locally I may buy it.

I would like to stay under $23k but don't plan to buy anything until Mid January or later.
    There are 2020+ RTL coming up in that $23k range. Even found a 2020 RT for $18,500. Just a matter of being patient, and being ready to jump when the deal strikes.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Any year 2014 or newer, you cant go wrong

Spyder Garage

The excellent salesman who sold me my Triumph Rocket, Victory Vision, Indian Chief, ‘16 F3-L and ‘21 RT, sold Spyders from “the beginning”, and had just come back from a 2000km interstate ride on the new RT when I was considering upgrading. He told me that he felt it was more “refined” than the earlier RT models……and he has ridden them all, both commuting and long distance. I find that simple one word description very accurate.

6 months later, that excellent, large dealership pulled the pin with BRP as they refused to sell agricultural CanAm vehicles, which BRP insisted they do if they wanted to remain a Spyder dealer. The dealership said they sold motorcycles….BMW, INDIAN, KTM, SPYDER and did not want to change direction. BRP insisted, dealer said bye-bye. The salesman retired…….that’s more info than you needed to know, but………….

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Purchased a 2020 RTL today with 3580 miles. Perfect condition from original owner and it was only about 4 hours from my home.

Looked at a 2017 and the one I purchased. Decided on the 2020.

It has been 9 years since we sold our 2011 RTL so I will have to get used to it again.

Also will be strange switching back and forth from this to my FJ-09

My wife really likes it which is a real plus. Feels like it has a lot more room than the 2011.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCOTE9OFD View Post
    Purchased a 2020 RTL today with 3580 miles. Perfect condition from original owner and it was only about 4 hours from my home.

Looked at a 2017 and the one I purchased. Decided on the 2020.

It has been 9 years since we sold our 2011 RTL so I will have to get used to it again.

Also will be strange switching back and forth from this to my FJ-09

My wife really likes it which is a real plus. Feels like it has a lot more room than the 2011.
    Congrats! If it still has original warranty, consider adding the B.E.S.T extended warranty. Enjoy!
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Very Good Spyder

...So glad you were able to find a Spyder for you. Let the Farkles begin.

Also definitely consider BRP BEST warranty. Better hurry on this warranty and see if it is still available.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new Spyder.
    Welcome back to the Spyder world. You are going to like the new 2020
    Spyder. Hope you and the wife have many many miles of smiles.
    Ryde safe and enjoy the Ryde
    Artie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    Congratulations on your new Spyder.
    Welcome back to the Spyder world. You are going to like the new 2020
    Spyder. Hope you and the wife have many many miles of smiles.
    Ryde safe and enjoy the Ryde
    Artie
    +1
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I purchased it from a 70 year old couple. They bought it used from the dealership in Hurst Texas with 3k miles. They did not purchase the extended warranty.

They put 500 miles on it in the year they owned it.

Who do I check with to see if extended warranty is available? Are there any dealers on here that sell extended warranties?

Spyder Garage

You can contact. ( https://www.imotorsportsinc.com ) they are a sponsor here and they can tell you if your Spyder is still under warranty and if you can get a BEST warranty for two more years on it. You will need your VIN number .
    Hope this helps
    Artie

Spyder Garage

Thank You, I appreciate it

I sent them an email