Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Samsung is built in South Korea.
    Samsung is a Korean company, but has factories throughout Europe and East Asia. Many of its products, including washing machines, are made in China.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Samsung is a Korean company, but has factories throughout Europe and East Asia. Many of its products, including washing machines, are made in China.
    Bingo. Corp offices in Korea, plants in China. 46 yrs. as an on-site tech working on that junk since its inception BTW
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Samsung is built in South Korea.
    So is Visio now , it was US owned and had great products but once they were sold to S. K. they went downhill fast.

I bought a 60" lcd tv in 2013, the backlight burned out in 2016 and was considered irreparable at that time by the manufacturer.

Just do a search for Visio black screen of death on google. You will have plenty to read from.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-18-2022 at 05:20 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I bought a 60" lcd tv in 2013, the backlight burned out in 2016 and was considered irreparable at that time by the manufacturer.
    If the backlight is an integral part of the LCD screen as received from the screen supplier, I can see where that can be the case. The last I read somewhere ALL LCD screens are manufactured by two or three companies in Asia. The TV manufacturer may have little or no control over the quality of the screens they use.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

If the backlight is an integral part of the LCD screen as received from the screen supplier, I can see where that can be the case. The last I read somewhere ALL LCD screens are manufactured by two or three companies in Asia. The TV manufacturer may have little or no control over the quality of the screens they use.
    As TV-Screens are also LCD/LED Screens this statement is not that correct. two taiwanese firms holds 58% of the full UHD Market. after that the two brands LG and Samsung holds again 25%. Chinese Firms are following after this big four. Fyi: OLED is a technic invented by Eastman Kodak. Also inside switzerland and germany there are a couple of specialized Panel producers.

BTT: I would not buy a chinese bicycle as i don't want to own a copy. Asian firms are quite well known for copying products. They copy real good. But it is not and will never be the original.
    Last edited by GuruSMI; 12-19-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Man has this thread gone off topic!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Man has this thread gone off topic!
    Yeah. Vito still hasn't responded to my questions. I think we all got trolled lol
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I don't think I would buy one. Based on my observations through the years native Chinese companies are very much "one and done" suppliers. Make a product for a year, or whatever, or bring out a specific model, or whatever, and manufacture it for a time. Then boom, when production is finished, the product is finished, never to see the light of day again. One way to make things cheap is make a bunch, sell them, and don't bother with followup parts, etc. I'd be afraid I'd end with a irreparable boat anchor if anything were to break or wear out since they wouldn't continue making parts.

At least with western world brands Chinese components are made to order so the manufacturer can order additional repair parts. They're not dependent on Chinese initiative to keep parts coming.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I agree with the above post. There doesn't seem to be a Chinese brand that I can think of that has a long standing presence with quality product and service and parts support after the sale. I would only buy if the company has been around with a good reputation for at least 10 years.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I don't think I would buy one. Based on my observations through the years native Chinese companies are very much "one and done" suppliers. Make a product for a year, or whatever, or bring out a specific model, or whatever, and manufacture it for a time. Then boom, when production is finished, the product is finished, never to see the light of day again. One way to make things cheap is make a bunch, sell them, and don't bother with followup parts, etc. I'd be afraid I'd end with a irreparable boat anchor if anything were to break or wear out since they wouldn't continue making parts.

At least with western world brands Chinese components are made to order so the manufacturer can order additional repair parts. They're not dependent on Chinese initiative to keep parts coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I agree with the above post. There doesn't seem to be a Chinese brand that I can think of that has a long standing presence with quality product and service and parts support after the sale. I would only buy if the company has been around with a good reputation for at least 10 years.
    Have any of you looked at CFMOTO lately?? Rather than being a 'one and done' supplier, I reckon they've been around Oz for pretty close to 10 years now...

And they do make/sell/support some surprisingly good products; when it comes to motorcycles, there's been a fleet of their Adventure bikes on the roads & tracks as rentals up North here for some years now & they're still working in some of the toughest country Oz has to offer, right across the Top End & Cape York! Their latest 800MT Touring seems to be giving the big name/big dollar Touring bikes a run for their money too!

Dunno if this link'll work for you, but it's worth a shot:

https://www.cfmoto.com.au/model/800m...imited-edition

If you can get the site up, check out their News pages for info on the Adventure Bike Fleet in the Top End.

So at least from here, it seems that they CAN get it together to produce a pretty reasonable product when they want tto?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2022 at 06:14 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

One big difference I see between the US site and the Ozzie site is a parts link. Oz has it, US does not.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

LOL
    I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about a Canadian company getting back into motorcycles by offering a 3 wheeler in a 2 wheeler dominated industry. Everyone starts somewhere. I remember when Kia and Hyundai hit North America. Nobody wanted to buy those things. They were practically giving them away. Then, they added the unheard of 10yr 100K warranty. Now, they're a leader in automobile brands in N. America.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

You all have short memories. Remember late 50's early 60's. England ruled the motorcycle world, BSA was the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer. Then Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Bridgestone, Kawasaki, Hodaka were out beating the bushes for anyone who would take them on. You could rent their little mopeds, step throughs, trail bikes etc. at garages, gas station and corner stores everywhere. You could buy them dirt cheap, they were cute, fun to ride and easy to operate. Then came the 125s, and then the 250s and 300s and 450s and then true large innovative big displacement road bikes and all of a sudden BSA, Norton, Harley were all in trouble. Trouble to the extent that England went away as a major player, or a player of any kind in the motorcycle world. But we bought them in droves. Harley almost went under, BMW was on the verge of bankruptcy Ducati and Moto Guzzi were close to disappearing. In the meantime, we were buying up those "Jap" bikes like there was no tomorrow. Oh parts were hard to get, so many models, all different parts and so far away, it was hard for anybody to keep anything in stock. Over the life of the Bridgestone 175cc it had 3 different sets of points and you had to bring your old ones with you to get the right ones, or the mechanic had to hope the dealer had the right ones in stock. Other manufactures weren't any better. But we bought them in droves, and still do. I see the same thing happening all over again with the Chinese. The quality will improve, the parts supply will improve, and they will become more in tune with what consumers in the countries their big markets are, want. Most of the members here are at the end of their motorcycle buying days. We took our big chance with the Can Am Spyder. It has paid off for most of us but a few got bit. The same will happen with the Chinese only they will be younger riders, if they can entice them into motorcycles the way we were.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My 'as soon as I retire' plan is to buy a Chinese motorbike in Shanghai, ride it to Lisbon Portugal, down to Gibraltar and finally up to Nordcapp in Norway.

Mind you I was hoping to retire at 25, currently the target is 55.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    LOL
    I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about a Canadian company getting back into motorcycles by offering a 3 wheeler in a 2 wheeler dominated industry. Everyone starts somewhere. I remember when Kia and Hyundai hit North America. Nobody wanted to buy those things. They were practically giving them away. Then, they added the unheard of 10yr 100K warranty. Now, they're a leader in automobile brands in N. America.
    In germany a long time McDonalds was a cheap "restaurant" nobody wanted to be seen in. Nowadays a hell of a lot of people get over for a dinner. The people getting poorer and they cannot afford the better restaurants all the time. People drive korean cars because they are cheap and affordable. They also drive romanian cars like Dacia. Mostly money makes the show. That a car (or whatever) is driven more often than others doesn't mean that are better in quality than others. If it would be this way then there are much too less Roll's Royce etc on the road. The people drive Kia and Hundai whilst they dream at the same time of sitting in an Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Here the standard worker has to answer the question why there is so much month at the end of the money.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2022 at 08:13 AM. Reason: .... a lot of .... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GuruSMI View Post
    Here the standard worker has to answer the question why there is so much month at the end of the money.
    I like it. I never real thought of it that way.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nothing against Chinese people.
    Took my wife to Chinese for lunch, yesterday.
    But, particularly as a Vietnam vet, do not want to support Chinese government.
    No longer buy Metzler or Pirelli tires.

No issue with Taiwan.

No issue with South Korea. The Korean people, as a whole, have remained grateful for help in the fifties when China invaded.
    My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe went 140,000+ miles in 8 years with only a TPS replacement and fuel level sensor replacement.

I had a friend who was a Pearl Harbor survivor and drove a Honda Accord, but the Japanese did not remain our enemies.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-20-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out Bikes and Beards
    https://bikesandbeardsgear.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post

I had a friend who was a Pearl Harbor survivor and drove a Honda Accord, but the Japanese did not remain our enemies.
    That's not quite true in the strictest sense. But, I have to leave it at that. This thread was originally started with regards to motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GuruSMI View Post
    In germany a long time McDonalds was a cheap "restaurant" nobody wanted to be seen in. Nowadays a hell of a lot of people get over for a dinner. The people getting poorer and they cannot afford the better restaurants all the time. People drive korean cars because they are cheap and affordable. They also drive romanian cars like Dacia. Mostly money makes the show. That a car (or whatever) is driven more often than others doesn't mean that are better in quality than others. If it would be this way then there are much too less Roll's Royce etc on the road. The people drive Kia and Hundai whilst they dream at the same time of sitting in an Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Here the standard worker has to answer the question why there is so much month at the end of the money.
    I agree and disagree. People tend to buy what they can afford. A lot of people buy or attempt to buy what they can't afford. However, most people riding motorcycles in Can/US don't buy them as their primary means transportation. It's considered a luxury item, a "toy", a recreation vehicle. In many other countries, specifically Asian countries(China, India, Japan, and everywhere in between), motorcycles are more common modes of primary transportation.
    Additionally, in more cases than not, generally speaking, people are rarely content and even if they drive an Audi(which was "trash" back in the day), a BMW(considered by many to be overly engineered), Mercedes, Rolls Royce, etc, they still want more, bigger, newer, shinier, prettier, whatever-er you want to add.
    My point in my post is that all companies have to start somewhere. It's hard to and darn near impossible to start at the top as the best. So, it takes time. Quality can be improved and it has been improved exponentially with Kia and Hyundai. Plenty of people drive Tesla EVs, but they aren't considered great quality when it comes to fit and finish.
    I don't think the original post had anything to do with price. It was a question about would you buy a Chinese made motorcycle. My response is I buy what I like and can afford.
    If someone gave a view of not buying a Chinese motorcycle based on facts as opposed to opinions and personal views, I would be able to say, "Ok. Good point". However, most responses have been personal preferences to which I say "interesting".

Quality isn't necessarily a given based on brand or cost. Folks say they won't buy a Chinese motorcycle, but they'd buy a Chinese made, American stamped iPhone...?
    I'm just curious what motivates someone to say NO to China. Is it political, personal preference, stereotypes, lack of knowledge, brand loyalty, fear of getting a lemon, social stance, etc.? I find it hard to group every product made by every company in a country as being a bad product. There are just too many variables to consider. So, saying "never will/would" without context sounds a bit strong of a statement to me and can be very premature when so many products are dependent on Chinese labor, parts, and service.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Check out Bikes and Beards
    https://bikesandbeardsgear.com/
    I check out his youtube videos often. Seems like a pleasant individual.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post

Quality isn't necessarily a given based on brand or cost. Folks say they won't buy a Chinese motorcycle, but they'd buy a Chinese made, American stamped iPhone...?
    I'm just curious what motivates someone to say NO to China. Is it political, personal preference, stereotypes, lack of knowledge, brand loyalty, fear of getting a lemon, social stance, etc.? I find it hard to group every product made by every company in a country as being a bad product. There are just too many variables to consider. So, saying "never will/would" without context sounds a bit strong of a statement to me and can be very premature when so many products are dependent on Chinese labor, parts, and service.
    Great post.

Spyder Garage

Never say never...

This is one statement that can come back and bite you. Been there and done that.

A re-direct is a good suggestion here. Slowly, but surely, the thread is turning political. Don't forget about site rule #2--No political posts.

A game warden once said: "trolling where you are not supposed to, can result in a fine or loss of license."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-20-2022 at 02:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Built, bought traded, and rode 2 wheeled rides from all over the world for years. The only time I never had a ride was when I belonged to uncle sam, but I had one stashed at home. There isn't anything nowadays that can't be finished off being made unless it has china parts. Spooky now that most of our meds come from there. Bought a lot of bikes but only one Xmas tree from china. I drug it out last week and put it up and it's still going strong. Oh yeah, one light went out on it. Merry Xmas all.

Spyder Garage

I read all the time that arguments with cars and cell phones. Those examples fails. There are a few things to consider.

1. If european, american or asian cars. No one can choose to get certain parts. One cannot get to the dealer and charge them to use a european alternator instead of a chinese one. Not at a new car. But there is an underlying quality management of that producer securing that those parts are quual to that ones the maker pruduces hisself.

2. At a cell phone one has to take the whole package like the car at the upper example. So this example also don't count.

3. If i would have to choose between a european, american or chinese implant where my life belongs at i would definitly not choose a chinese one.

4. My simple wrist watch is not an asian one. It is european. In detail a swiss one. I checked a hell of watches about the stepcounter. I need that thing to see my ongoing therapy. No chinese one counted correctly.

5. Frequently the german car testers also take looks at chinese cars. Official crashtests show how insufficient those cars are, Chrash systems collapse at quite low speeds. Every car has to pass such tests to be allowed to gent onto the road. A european/american car passes them. Most chinese cars don't. There the bling bling of copying a BMW X7 ends and the safety starts.

The asian firms do one thing really great. Copying. But that it's. China doesn't care about copyright anyway. I.e. Brabus a well known mercedes tuner did let produce their wheels in china. They delivered the tools and also the wanted alloy to china and took back the tools after the production ended. After a shorter time they were confused about the amount of rims on the market. They found out that the chinese copied their tools and produce such wheels illegaly with cheap alloy. The rims did broke more often. I do not want to see my life depended on those parts. I worked a longer time for an american MedTech company. You won't believe what i have seen on exhibitions. That could fill books.