Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

My bike continues to do this. I've had it to the mechanic (Faye Meyer in Denver) and they said they couldn't make it happen, but didn't say how hard they tried. He also cleaned the left hand controls.

I have been unable to perceive any pattern to when it happens. It's about 1 in 5 rides on average, I'll get 5 minutes down the road and suddenly can't shift up. I've tried a lot of minor thumping or slow pressing. Usually, I turn around and just slow ride home in 1st. If I shift to reverse or neutral, I'm stuck, but if I stick to first with flashers on, I can nurse it home.

If I turn the bike off and wait a long time (like 30 minutes or next day), it always corrects, and I can shift again. If I only wait 1 or 5 minutes, it often works but not always.

It does it whether I use heated grips or not.

I'm a computer programmer, so to me it feels a lot like computer memory being held alive by a capacitor and I have to wait long enough for the cap to fully drain before the problem clears.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 10:29 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ClayJ View Post
    My bike continues to do this. I've had it to the mechanic (Faye Meyer in Denver) and they said they couldn't make it happen, but didn't say how hard they tried. He also cleaned the left hand controls.

I have been unable to perceive any pattern to when it happens. It's about 1 in 5 rides on average, I'll get 5 minutes down the road and suddenly can't shift up. I've tried a lot of minor thumping or slow pressing. Usually, I turn around and just slow ride home in 1st. If I shift to reverse or neutral, I'm stuck, but if I stick to first with flashers on, I can nurse it home.

If I turn the bike off and wait a long time (like 30 minutes or next day), it always corrects, and I can shift again. If I only wait 1 or 5 minutes, it often works but not always.

It does it whether I use heated grips or not.

I'm a computer programmer, so to me it feels a lot like computer memory being held alive by a capacitor and I have to wait long enough for the cap to fully drain before the problem clears.
    You're a computer programmer so I don't have to explain/convince you that it's almost impossible to remove/lose anything that goes thru a computer. ..... It appears the Tech didn't put it on BUDS ... He thinks .... GUESSING ... is the way to diagnose issues ..... Take it to someone else ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 10:30 PM.