Spyder Garage

Default Are F3 headlight beams supposed to be asymmetrical?

Hey Spyder community.

Just had a quick questions for those who recently had headlights replaced or installed on their F3.

I went to Texas Adventure (Richardson Powersports) last week and had some LED headlights put in. When I took it home, I noticed my right headlight projected higher than my left.

I ended up going back to the shop and had them make it even but before they did, they tried telling me BRP recommends that the headlights be asymmetrical like that.

Is that true?

PXL_20221208_000935096.jpg
    2022 F3T , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Athorn1991 View Post
    Hey Spyder community.

Just had a quick questions for those who recently had headlights replaced or installed on their F3.

I went to Texas Adventure (Richardson Powersports) last week and had some LED headlights put in. When I took it home, I noticed my right headlight projected higher than my left.

I ended up going back to the shop and had them make it even but before they did, they tried telling me BRP recommends that the headlights be asymmetrical like that.

Is that true?

..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

years ago (1970's) I put Hella headlights in my vehicles, before they where approved in the USA. They had a definite straight line cut off on low beam until the right side then swept upward to light the edge of the road and shoulder. So I say yes they should do that.
    Last edited by RangerRick; 12-12-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... good luck .... Mike
    Not sure if you are laughing at the alignment in photo or me getting the headlights readjusted
    2022 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    years ago (1970's) I put Hella headlights in my vehicles, before they where approved in the USA. They had a definite straight line cut off on low beam until the right side then swept upward to light the edge of the road and shoulder. So I say yes they should do that.
    I wasn't sure if there were or not since I haven't been able to find a post or video of someone with similar setup. There were able to straighten it out which is more of my preference
    16708638784982930572834393233802.jpg
    2022 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

What is the distance from the wall/door to front of headlamps?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if you are laughing at the alignment in photo or me getting the headlights readjusted
    NOT LAUGHING AT YOU !!!!! .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Hey Spyder community.

Is that true?

The answer is yes, You usually want the right headlight SLIGHTLY higher than the left. This gives you a better view down the road and of the shoulder. While giving oncoming traffic a break. But it should only be a slight difference. Especially at the distance that you are from the wall. At 6' the difference should only be slightly noticeable. The way yours was you would be looking at the trees, not the road. So, the dealer was correct. And you were also correct in getting them adjusted. That right side was ridiculous.

Frankly, I was not aware that you could get them that far out. I'm thinking they did not install the bulb with correct orientation. Now that will certainly do it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-14-2022 at 11:13 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The owners manual shows you how.
    Measure up from the ground to the center of the headlight. On a flat surface, move 25 feet from a wall. Mark the wall 2” less that the headlights. Adjust the lights so the brightest part is on the mark. Call me if you need help! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system