Spyder Garage

Default Unaware of this 2013 RT/ST Brake M/cyl recall - big deal or not?

Ran the VIN # of my Spyder on the website https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls turns out it was not done, Big deal or not?

Aug 27,2013
    Manufacturer Recall Number2013-8

NHTSA Recall Number13V386

Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

Summary

BRP is recalling certain model year 2013 Can-am Spyder RT series and ST series motorcycles. The tandem brake master cylinder manifold inlet may melt allowing the brake fluid to leak out.

Safety Risk
    Brake fluid may leak onto a heat source , increasing the risk of a fire.

Remedy
    Authorized BRP dealers will install heat shields and a heat deflector, free of charge.

Manufacturer's Notes
    If the repair is not completed on your vehicle, please contact your BRP dealer, BRP at 1-888-272-9222 or consult www.can-am.brp.com.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-09-2022 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    Ran the VIN # of my Spyder on the website https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls turns out it was not done, Big deal or not?

Summary

BRP is recalling certain model year 2013 Can-am Spyder RT series and ST series motorcycles. The tandem brake master cylinder manifold inlet may melt allowing the brake fluid to leak out.

Safety Risk
    Brake fluid may leak onto a heat source , increasing the risk of a fire.

Hmmm... brake cylinder melts, brake fluid goes away and ensuing fire destroys bike with deadly potential.
    Yeah, kind of a big deal.

It's a free safety modification... I'd get it done.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-09-2022 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2022 Spyder RTL – MCRN TACHI

Spyder Garage

There are all sorts of mention about your year model catching fire and burning up. Get it repaired.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

No dealers near by, if I can figure out where this is, should be able to shield it my self. If this because of the Cat, I have the delete pipe coming from RLS Exhaust, be here next week
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

No dealers near by, if I can figure out where this is, should be able to shield it my self. If this because of the Cat, I have the delete pipe coming from RLS Exhaust, be here next week
    That won't help you if your Spyder does ever suffer from the fault/failure that caused the recall notice &/or catch fire as a result; nor will it help when/if it ever comes to selling it!

And I don't really know exactly how all these recalls work in your country, but here in Oz, unless it's labelled as a 'voluntary recall', your vehicle isn't roadworthy/street legal/registerable until it's been done by an accredited dealer & notified to the recall Authority! Which is not surprising really, cos anything that's safety related really does mean it really needs doing in the approved & tested manner.... and here in Oz, if you decide not to get it done by an approved dealer, or even if you decide to do it yourself & then sometime later have an accident which is caused or contributed to the recall issue in any way that causes property damage or worse, injures &/or kills anyone, then you could be found culpable by the courts & possibly end up doing jail time.....

So now that you've made it known to BRP by the VIN search and to the rest of World by your post starting this thread that you are aware this recall hasn't been done, rather than ignoring it &/or doing something yourself, I reckon your best bet is to contact your nearest Can-Am dealer (or any Can-Am dealer that you are prepared to go to who will do the job) and get it done by them ASAP - sure, if there's none local you'll likely hafta take the time & pay to travel there & back, plus fork out for any accommodation required, however, the recall work itself should be at no charge to you! BUT until it's done, if your part of the World is anything like mine (& it is in soo many things... ) then any accident might mean that you could be charged for any damage/injuries/deaths that any failure/deficiency in your brakes/braking might have contributed to - and that might not cost you just the relatively few $$ it'd cost you for the time, travel, & accommodation it'd take to get the job done properly!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-09-2022 at 08:51 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

here is the Service Bulletin/Recall. Since I did the Evap canister bypass, Dubious as to wither they will touch it now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

here is the Service Bulletin/Recall. Since I did the Evap canister bypass, Dubious as to wither they will touch it now.
    Oh, if they're anything like our Oz recalls, they'll still touch all the parts they need to & can! That PDF above shows the recall notice in your country - just look at the alternatives prescribed if they don't carry out the necessary things within a reasonable time of you making the Spyder available to them.... These sorta recalls don't expire, or disappear if you've changed some other part, they STILL hafta do whatever they can & fully document anything they can't, or they can be held liable if anything ever goes pear shaped!!

Here's something that might help you in this - back a fair while now, I bought a small Daihatsu 4WD for the business I ran, & very early in its life I swapped out the 45 litre gas tank for a professionally made 100 litre replacement gas tank..... Then a few years back when the vehicle was about 15 years old, there was a recall issued on the gas tank vent that called for the replacement of the tank vent plumbing & a dinky little 'liquid over-flow trap' that was hidden inside the rear RH side 1/4 panel above the filler, only my replacement tank had a built-in 'over-flow trap' & no longer had or needed the same plumbing as the original, so the original had been left in situ but disconnected and I was quite happy for them to leave all that as it was... but the dealer wasn't so sure, sought head office & then legal advice & came back to me saying that under the International Agreement on recalls that governed all this, because my vehicle still had the original trap fitted, even if it was no longer used (but it conceivably could be at some time in the future) they either STILL had to replace the OE piece of kit or they had a whole swathe of documentation to fill in & pics to take to show WHY they hadn't been able to carry out the recall!! Now it was no skin of my nose & all at their cost whatever they did, so they went ahead & did the recall; swapping out a 'no longer used piece of kit' that was subject to the recall for a new piece of kit that would also be 'no longer used' due to the replacement tank I'd fitted years before!

So I really doubt there'll be any valid issues with you getting the Brake Master Cylinder bit of that recall done, even if they can't do the evap canister shielding! And if THEY say they can't do it, then I'd suggest you ask to get that in writing so that there'll be no doubt about who will be liable if you ever have an accident or insurance claim that's been caused or contributed to by the components subject to recall, cos if you DON'T get that in writing, guess which bunny's probably gonna be in the spotlight for all costs/damages etc if anything ever does happen?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Weird, not seeing a recall on my 2013 ST-L
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    Weird, not seeing a recall on my 2013 ST-L
    When was your Spyder manufactured? If it doesn't show up on a VIN search NOW, that'll probably be because yours has already had the recall done & recorded, possibly even before it was sold like my 2013 RT, so it's no longer an outstanding recall....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Don't ignore recalls. Regardless of the vehicle.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/2016/0...ing-road-trip/
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I will be pulling the side panel(s) off to verify that mine needs it.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

I will be pulling the side panel(s) off to verify that mine needs it.
    Good idea, but you should also bear in mind that even if you don't see any need for it now, the reason there's a recall is because it's a significant safety issue, and you probably won't be able to see/know anything was wrong until it's too late!! These things don't necessarily put up any advance warning signs, things like this usually look & function OK.... right up until they don't any more, as the bloke in BajaRon's linked article discovered!!

So unless there's clear evidence that your Spyder has already had the recall work done to the Brake Master Cylinder & anything else covered that's remaining, you should get it in ASAP to get that work done! And even if it has already been done, you should talk to a dealer/BRP ASAP to amend the records held against your bike's VIN, otherwise you may just find any accident/incident that occurs due to any failure in those components a very expensive exercise! And who knows when something like that might happen??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'm a happy Camper Pulled the side panels off and low and behold the recall was done.

in the pictures the brake unit is shielded and wrapped, the parking brake cable is wrapped

evidently the dealer never reported it done.

Now to figure out how to hook up my pedal box, the instructions I got are for a RT and my ST there is not the wires there shown on the check oil side at all
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RangerRick; 12-13-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ..... And even if it has already been done, you should talk to a dealer/BRP ASAP to amend the records held against your bike's VIN, otherwise you may just find any accident/incident that occurs due to any failure in those components a very expensive exercise! And who knows when something like that might happen??
    Just Sayin'

Admittedly, it wasn't with BRP &/or a Spyder, but do you really need to ask how I KNOW that you can have difficulties with a manufacturer in a situation as described above, even if it was their dealer who failed to properly update the record for your vehicle?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have no idea who the dealer is that did the recall, but will check up on it
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

I have no idea who the dealer is that did the recall, but will check up on it
    It doesn't hafta be the dealer who actually did the recall, any dealer should be able to update your Spyder' VIN record to show it done; or you could send an email direct to BRP, maybe via brp.care@brp.com - either way, you REALLY need to get your Spyder's records with them updated to show that particular recall work has been done!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!