Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there any real data regarding the safety of the Spyder vs traditional motorcycles

The Spyder will not tip over easily, as does a 2 wheeler under various conditions, but a very slow speed tipover is not likely to result in any type of serious rider injury in most cases. After a year of riding a Spyder I have the strong feeling that I am overall much safer on this large, 3 wheel vehicle, than I was on any 2 wheeler, including the almost as heavy Goldwing that I traded in for the Spyder. And that "feeling", I must admit, has made me a bit less concerned with safety gear than I used to be. I never used to ride in any footwear other than sturdy boots that fully cover the ankle, whereas on the Spyder I find I often just don't bother changing out of the sneakers that I was already wearing. On occasion I have taken short rides without a helmet, something I virtually never did on any 2 wheeler. But I have never seen any valid data which would support my feeling of greater safety. The larger front profile of the Spyder also seems to be more visible to oncoming drivers than did even the Goldwing, and I have yet to have a single incident of a 4 wheeler turning left in front of me, something that would happen occasionally when on a regular motorcycle. So I am wondering if anyone here has ever seen any data that they can share which would support or refute my "feeling" of greater safety.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I have only 1 single piece of data. My brand new 2022 RTL and I were sitting at a stoplight, still had foot on brakes so lit up. Car approached from rear and got too close. I move up a few feet, lotsa brake lights still. He moved up too and rear-ended me. Either an idiot mistake or on purpose…

I have been riding since 1975 and have always done so with the attitude that ALL other drivers are intentionally trying to kill me. They look right at bikes and just do what they want anyway. This was the first time I was ever hit, but proved my point. In light of that, it’s always ATTGAT, all the gear all the time, never go without helmet, gloves, leathers all the way down, and boots. The only exception is when it’s 95 deg and above I will still wear the leather pants but switch to armored mesh jacket. Came from a big bike, too, Indian Springfield dressed. I trust my self on my RT, I trust no one else when riding.

Law enforcement, no military,
    NRA Lifer, like you
    2022 RT Ltd, Deep & Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

I've not seen any such data and I agree with Heisty's opinion and approach. IMO, the biggest thing we have to worry about and one that is probably hard to get good data on is DISTRACTED DRIVERS. They're killing each other in cages.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Vito1943, I'm with you 100%. All the narratives (not verifiable data) points to the Spyder being in a category of its own when it comes to rider safety. That's why I bought it and ive never had any reason to doubt the wisdom of that decision. I dress for the weather, but always wear a helmet.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-07-2022 at 08:54 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I haven't seen the data points, but I'm sure some math person has the data. If it is substantially greater, I'm sure BRP would post it as a selling point. If it is marginal or null, probably not. The tipping over thing due to operator error at slow speeds while turning isn't a concern based on design and profile of the machine. More points of contact in the y design provides much more stability.
    The concern I have while riding my Spyder is no different than when driving a car. I am confident in my abilities and am aware of some of my areas that need improvement.However, I can't account for other drivers, animals, road conditions, weather, etc all the time. For that reason, I dress to comfortably protect myself. Meaning I don't wear leather, I rock mesh. I wear a modular helmet, gloves, boots or "motorcycle shoes". By the grace of God I haven't been involved in any major auto accident while driving or riding, but I still wear my seat belt even as a passenger and didn't remove my air bags As such, I still wear my gear as a rider. The What If outweighs the desire to dress less. It only takes 1 wreck to change your life forever. The gear may not protect you completely, but like you, with the perceived safety I have from the Spyder and my gear; I feel more comfortable and less anxious about the What If.
    My suggestion is to gear up. That's an opinion held be many. While many others dress for the weather or whatever they feel comfortable in. It all comes at risk. Whatever you decide, ride safely, stay aware, and God bless
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I don't know of any scientific data on the subject. But I think it very obvious to anyone that the Spyder is a much safer ride. People have hit large animals, been rear-ended at speed, etc., with much better outcomes than could reasonably be expected on 2 wheels. But having said this. I wouldn't give up on wearing proper safety gear. You may never need it on a Spyder. But if you ever do, you'll be glad you have it on.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Vito, I get what you are saying. And for us it is kind of the same, though we always wear helmets. On our 2-wheels previously, it was boots and jackets and gloves all the time. I think you have to decide what risk you are willing to take. Living where we do, I am more comfortable to stay local with shorty helmets, jeans, sneakers, and no jacket if weather allows. Any time we venture on the interstate or state highway for a day trip, we gear up. I know some will say there is little logic in that, but it makes sense for us.

Ride your ride and be vigilant.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

My insurance company must think so, When I sold my 2007 Honda Shadow, and put the identical coverage on the spyder the Premium Dropped $111.00
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

The thing that worries me the most about riding a Spyder is that I may become to complacent and not watch out as diligently as when on 2 wheels, and now we have so many people coming to riding thru the Spyder that never lesrned the vigilence we long time riders learned jn 2 wheels. I use getting dressed in the gear to put my vigilence mind in gear.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Since the Spyder was introduced, Quebec set the annual plate fee to be the same as "Touring Motorcycles". Last year that was around $700CAD per annum.
    Over the years the SAAQ (the Quebec government's vehicle dept) has been monitoring motorcycle accident statistics and recently came up with this:

Spyder type 3 wheel vehicles are far safer than 2 wheeled motorcycles and I believe than Harley type trikes as well.

They have reduced the annual plate fee for Spyder type vehicles to $180CAD as a result. A huge proof they are convinced Spyders are safe.

Note. All plate fees in Quebec include compulsory insurance as well as the basic plate fee.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yesss!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The thing that worries me the most about riding a Spyder is that I may become to complacent and not watch out as diligently as when on 2 wheels, and now we have so many people coming to riding thru the Spyder that never lesrned the vigilence we long time riders learned jn 2 wheels. I use getting dressed in the gear to put my vigilence mind in gear.
    Excellent point.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    I haven't seen the data points, but I'm sure some math person has the data. If it is substantially greater, I'm sure BRP would post it as a selling point. If it is marginal or null, probably not. The tipping over thing due to operator error at slow speeds while turning isn't a concern based on design and profile of the machine. More points of contact in the y design provides much more stability.
    The concern I have while riding my Spyder is no different than when driving a car. I am confident in my abilities and am aware of some of my areas that need improvement.However, I can't account for other drivers, animals, road conditions, weather, etc all the time. For that reason, I dress to comfortably protect myself. Meaning I don't wear leather, I rock mesh. I wear a modular helmet, gloves, boots or "motorcycle shoes". By the grace of God I haven't been involved in any major auto accident while driving or riding, but I still wear my seat belt even as a passenger and didn't remove my air bags As such, I still wear my gear as a rider. The What If outweighs the desire to dress less. It only takes 1 wreck to change your life forever. The gear may not protect you completely, but like you, with the perceived safety I have from the Spyder and my gear; I feel more comfortable and less anxious about the What If.
    My suggestion is to gear up. That's an opinion held be many. While many others dress for the weather or whatever they feel comfortable in. It all comes at risk. Whatever you decide, ride safely, stay aware, and God bless
    I'm sure the reason Can-Am doesn't promote the safety aspect is because they want to avoid the inevitable ensuing lawsuits.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    My insurance company must think so, When I sold my 2007 Honda Shadow, and put the identical coverage on the spyder the Premium Dropped $111.00
    .... Experienced the same thing when I traded my Gold Wing for an 08 GS ..... I forget the amount but it was significant. .... If there is anyone tracking accidents it's the insurance companies, they have to to remain profitable ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

No data that I am aware of.

I will make three points though. Compared to two wheels...yes they are safer. You are less likely to tip over on squirrely surfaces, thanks to the "nanny."

In an impact accident...you are still likely to be ejected.

And always watch out for everything. Inattentive drivers, road hazards, and animals are always there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Since the Spyder was introduced, Quebec set the annual plate fee to be the same as "Touring Motorcycles". Last year that was around $700CAD per annum.
    Over the years the SAAQ (the Quebec government's vehicle dept) has been monitoring motorcycle accident statistics and recently came up with this:

Spyder type 3 wheel vehicles are far safer than 2 wheeled motorcycles and I believe than Harley type trikes as well.

They have reduced the annual plate fee for Spyder type vehicles to $180CAD as a result. A huge proof they are convinced Spyders are safe.

Note. All plate fees in Quebec include compulsory insurance as well as the basic plate fee.
    Honda was forced to discontinue their off road 3-Wheeler due to the huge number of incidents. There is an inherent instability which cannot be overcome in a 1 wheel forward, 2 rear wheel vehicle. The Spyder is a much more stable platform than any conventional trike version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh5...hannel=TopGear

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In terms of gear, what do I want to be wearing if I crash? Answer, everything I can. Ergo ATGATT, ( all the gear all the time. )

Spyder Garage

Weather on two or three, you have to keep the radar on at all times!!! People just drive like fools, and you have to be ready for that dumb $#@ that looks right through you and jumps a stop sign or pulls out of a yard or cuts you off trying to pass!! And don't think you can't roll one of these baby's, don't put it in reverse, and snap the wheel into a full lock pulling out of a parking spot in the hurry!!! Keep your head on straight and drive it, have fun!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You want to dress for the crash, not the ride. Some very good summer mesh gear is available. Actually you are cooler fully covered when you ride than with a short sleeve T shirt or less. On hot summer days here in Alamogordo, NM, essentially desert. Not uncommon to ride in 100 to 107 air temps. I always wear in warmer weather a long sleeve Duluth Trading Tee under my mesh Klim bright Day Glo jacket with a full coverage flip up helmet. Been riding since the early 50's and with a Helmet since the late 60's a full coverage helmet. Those Beanie half helmets that HD riders seem to like are a total joke from any safety considerations.

I have been very involved in the Motorcycle industry since the mid 60's and am now retired. Not talking just to make noise.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    No data that I am aware of.

I will make three points though. Compared to two wheels...yes they are safer. You are less likely to tip over on squirrely surfaces, thanks to the "nanny."

In an impact accident...you are still likely to be ejected.

And always watch out for everything. Inattentive drivers, road hazards, and animals are always there.

This is no joke about being ejected, this happened to me at a slower speed with only the right wheel locking up against the curb.

The accident that caused my reframe happened less than a mile from my house, and my helmet saved my a$$ when I was cut off into a curb by a cage.

I was ejected over the right side of the handlebars and the back of my head hit the curb and I had a bruise that went all the way down my right side from the back of my shoulder to my right knee where it hit the curb for about 4 months.

Got lucky and only bruised my hip bone but not broken. I may skimp on the body armour from time to time in hot weather but I always wear good gloves, boots, and a helmet. To go without is tempting fate and a nomination for a darwin award.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-07-2022 at 06:08 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Honda was forced to discontinue their off road 3-Wheeler due to the huge number of incidents. There is an inherent instability which cannot be overcome in a 1 wheel forward, 2 rear wheel vehicle. The Spyder is a much more stable platform than any conventional trike version.

That is one of the Funniest videos I've seen in a long time.... Thanks you for the laugh....
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    You want to dress for the crash, not the ride. Some very good summer mesh gear is available. Actually you are cooler fully covered when you ride than with a short sleeve T shirt or less. On hot summer days here in Alamogordo, NM, essentially desert. Not uncommon to ride in 100 to 107 air temps. I always wear in warmer weather a long sleeve Duluth Trading Tee under my mesh Klim bright Day Glo jacket with a full coverage flip up helmet. Been riding since the early 50's and with a Helmet since the late 60's a full coverage helmet. Those Beanie half helmets that HD riders seem to like are a total joke from any safety considerations.

I have been very involved in the Motorcycle industry since the mid 60's and am now retired. Not talking just to make noise.
    That is certainly the prevailing philosophy for 2-wheelers and gratefully became the de facto standard of advice for probably 50 years; it has probably saved countless lives, along with advanced training (which many unfortunately too many bikers think is unnecessary still)

The Spyder demands we rethink that advice for Spyders, because the risk factors have completely changed. THAT is what this thread is about. We're not trying to convert anyone, so no need to be defensive. If you have some DATA to add to the conversation, we would love to hear it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm sure the reason Can-Am doesn't promote the safety aspect is because they want to avoid the inevitable ensuing lawsuits.
    Perhaps you're right. I don't don't know what lawsuits they'd be looking at by quoting stats though. VW, Honda, Subaru, + more mention their safety ratings.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

There are some videos of clowns riding their Spyders in reverse and flipping them. That's why, I'm sure, BRP doesn't promote the safety aspect.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-08-2022 at 12:37 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post

You are exactly right about the mesh gear and being completely covered in hot weather to be cooler. A full face helmet is also cooler than an open or skid lid helmet. But it's nearly impossible to convince people of this because while donning the gear and at slow speeds, you do get hotter. But typically, you're only suffering for a short period of time. As soon as you get some speed up, things really cool off. Wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt underneath wicks your sweat and with the air going through the mesh it works like an air conditioner. With bare skin, you're simply running in a blast furnace. A few hours of this will not only dehydrate you. But sap all of your energy.

I've ridden with guys that did the open helmet/short sleeved T-Shirt thing through the desert. They think I'm crazy as I put my gear on and ask me how I endure the heat. But later on they want to know why I'm not dying in the heat like they are. I tell them. But they never believe me. They just think I have some special immunity to the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    That is one of the Funniest videos I've seen in a long time.... Thanks you for the laugh....
    Glad you liked it. I laugh every time I watch it. An extreme case, to be sure. But a good example of what is wrong with 1 wheel in front and 2 in the rear.