Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The most dangerous place on earth for me.

I am now a week into my long road to recovery from a traumatic injury that left me re-evaluating our plans for the future.

Jane and I are both 75, retired after leading very active lives in the outdoors. Backpacking into wilderness, whitewater river running, mountain climbing, rock climbing, spelunking (Jane), downhill skiing, deserts, mountains and everything in between. In addition to that, I was 10 years US Navy including a combat tour in Vietnam. When the iron curtain came crashing down, I spent a month traveling Russia. Jane has twice backpacked around Mt. Rainier and twice done Pariah Canyon. I've been motorcycling for years and shortly after getting my Spyder, Jane got her own.

We're not risk-averse and gladly plunge into adventures our age-peers find daunting. During all those years, neither Jane or i had suffered any serious injury. We had a pretty good idea of the kind of retirement we wanted, and our plans were falling nicely into place. Then, I had my accident, leaving me immobilized for at least eight weeks. We had major travel plans for January, which are now canceled. Our March plans are on hold and our month-long tour of the NW and Canada (on the Spyder in June) may have to be shelved, or at least amended.. Our lives have been completely turned upside down, in a flash, a moment's inattention.

After surgery, I was transferred to the Salt Lake City Veterans's Home, where they are equipped and staffed to attend to all my daily needs as an immobilized person incapable of any of the basic life activities I once took for granted (eating, bathroom, bathing, dressing). I've always prided myself for my independence and now I'm wholly dependent on others for everything. I've ruptured the tendon that connects the quad muscle to the knee. In both knees. After repair of the tendons, both legs are in knee braces that limit movement of the knee, to ensure the tendons have the chance to heal.

This happened as I was walking down our basement stairs carrying three boxes for storage. At the bottom, thinking I'd reached the basement floor i stepped forward and began pitching forward. I instinctively threw myself backward and felt and heard both tendons snap. I can hardly wait to return to the relative safety of the open road.

20221203_145843.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-03-2022 at 05:38 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Geez, what an accident.
    Sounds like you'll eventually get well, at least I hope so.
    I dare say, your active lifestyle surely plays into your prognosis.
    I wish you a speedy and healthy recovery.
    May I also add, Thank You so very much for your service.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Pete,

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Being immobile is not fun and healing does take a bit longer at our age. I just got out of my walking boot last week after my 3rd foot surgery. Unable to do basic things like shower, drive to the store, get out of the house, etc. creates a lot of frustration for those of us who have been active for most of our lives. I have a good feel for what you're going through. Sounds like you're in the best place for recovery and have good support. That's so important. All the best..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Travel plans can be rescheduled, LISTEN to your caregivers! You WILL recover! At our age we don't heal so fast, you are about to find out what steps, walkers, and handrails have in common. Keep your chin up and " God Bless Jane ".........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Heal up soon, Pete.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Ah Pete, I'm only 64 and have done that exact mis-step WITHOUT carrying three boxes, though my outcome wasn't nearly as problematic. But I can absolutely relate to that moment of realizing the floor wasn't where I thought it was. You know there's a world of Spyder Ryders out here that will be praying for your FULL recovery, that your caregivers will be blessed and bless you in your healing.
    Now I think I'm going to go hang a picture at basement floor eye level in my stairwell...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Travel plans can be rescheduled, LISTEN to your caregivers! You WILL recover! At our age we don't heal so fast, you are about to find out what steps, walkers, and handrails have in common. Keep your chin up and " God Bless Jane ".........Bill
    Jane is a real trooper and my prime motivation to get well. Thanks for the helpful insights!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Ah Pete, I'm only 64 and have done that exact mis-step WITHOUT carrying three boxes, though my outcome wasn't nearly as problematic. But I can absolutely relate to that moment of realizing the floor wasn't where I thought it was. You know there's a world of Spyder Ryders out here that will be praying for your FULL recovery, that your caregivers will be blessed and bless you in your healing.
    Now I think I'm going to go hang a picture at basement floor eye level in my stairwell...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Get well, and heal soon, and I'll keep the other physical therapy comments to myself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Get well, and heal soon, and I'll keep the other physical therapy comments to myself.
    Ha, this would be right up your alley! Comment away!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I am 67 and my wife is 64. We too enjoy activities that have many younger folks questioning our sanity, but when I'm 99 years old and sitting in my rocking chair telling stories I can truthfully say "been there, done that." I have had surgery and treatments (prostate cancer encroaching on my bladder) that seriously curtailed my activity for over a year. Our riding went from 25,000+ miles a year to less than 2000 for two years in a row, BUT we are back and better than ever. I pushed, but not hard. When I felt tired or sore I backed off and took it easy for a few days. I thought I would never make a comeback, bit I did and so will you. Can't rush perfection We had planned on spending the month of June, 2019 riding in Alaska. We made the trip, but rented a small RV instead of riding. It was an amazing trip of a lifetime. We may have to take a detour when plans change, but that detour can be a blast too. You will heal and you will be discouraged at times, but rest assured you will be back if you truly want to.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

PETE----------
    I think this is the first I'm hearing about this. I pray that you will heal completely. Though I know it may take a while. The immobilization would be hard for anyone. I'd go nutz. And I hate hospitals though I'm sure you're getting good care.
    Get well, Lew
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Darn Pete!!!!!! Hope you have a fast recovery. I basically did the same coming down a ladder in the garage. Dog was laying on the floor at the bottom. Went to step over-wrong move. Screwed my knee up the 2nd time which eventually led to full knee replacement. Never been the same.
    Heal quickly my friend.

Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

You can do it Pete. Wishing you a complete and quick recovery.

BTW, be nice to the nurses. They have so many ways of getting back at you... but I think some of them like to get ahead.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Darn Pete!!!!!! Hope you have a fast recovery. I basically did the same coming down a ladder in the garage. Dog was laying on the floor at the bottom. Went to step over-wrong move. Screwed my knee up the 2nd time which eventually led to full knee replacement. Never been the same.
    Heal quickly my friend.

Bob
    I'm stifling a chuckle because it's not funny. Amazing the sacrifices we make for our pets, isn't it?

It sounds like 'home' may be the most dangerous place on earth for a lot of us. Maybe because we let our guard down more than when we are doing something known to be potentially dangerous. Like riding 2-wheelers...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sending many, many ..... three years ago I returned to Downhill skiing. This year it's looking very doubtful. ... During this past Summer, I began having leg pains in my right leg from just walking in the woods ( with R/C truck ) .... It got worse as the summer went on ..... the problem is they don't know what's wrong..... 35 years ago I began loosing sensation in my toes, it has now progressed to just above my knee's. ( I don't remember the medical term for this condition, but there is one ).... These two things might be related. I already have my Season pass, but have been hesitant to try and Ski..... I will attempt it tho ...... good luck ....Mike ...... I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, I just thought it was sort of re-lated because of the age thing .....

Spyder Garage

Most accidents happen within 5 miles of home.

That is why my home is in another state and I never go there.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Most accidents happen within 5 miles of home.

That is why my home is in another state and I never go there.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sending many, many ..... three years ago I returned to Downhill skiing. This year it's looking very doubtful. ... During this past Summer, I began having leg pains in my right leg from just walking in the woods ( with R/C truck ) .... It got worse as the summer went on ..... the problem is they don't know what's wrong..... 35 years ago I began loosing sensation in my toes, it has now progressed to just above my knee's. ( I don't remember the medical term for this condition, but there is one ).... These two things might be related. I already have my Season pass, but have been hesitant to try and Ski..... I will attempt it tho ...... good luck ....Mike ...... I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, I just thought it was sort of re-lated because of the age thing .....
    No problem, Mike. The irony for me is that i gave up downhill skiing years ago because of all the horrific injuries being sustained by people I know. So, instead I get a classic ski injury from just walking downstairs.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Everytime someone comments about our trailer, I tell them about the really nice guy and his wife who brought it to us from Utah that one summer day.
    At 79, I'm "beginning" to realize "I can't do everything I did last year"
    OK.......for the last FEW years
    Most sincere wishes for you to get better as soon as you realistically can, Pete. Don't hurry it and do more damage.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm stifling a chuckle because it's not funny. Amazing the sacrifices we make for our pets, isn't it?

It sounds like 'home' may be the most dangerous place on earth for a lot of us. Maybe because we let our guard down more than when we are doing something known to be potentially dangerous. Like riding 2-wheelers...
    Go ahead and giggle or laugh. I think it is funny that my darn dog changed my life forever. I loved that dog. Get well.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Geez Louise! for full and quick recovery
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Everytime someone comments about our trailer, I tell them about the really nice guy and his wife who brought it to us from Utah that one summer day.
    At 79, I'm "beginning" to realize "I can't do everything I did last year"
    OK.......for the last FEW years
    Most sincere wishes for you to get better as soon as you realistically can, Pete. Don't hurry it and do more damage.
    It warmed our hearts knowing it went to a good home. And the improvements you made to it were inspirational for many. I hear you loud and clear about not pushing the recovery! Hope to meet up with you two again on one of our trips through that area of the country.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete, from your description of your life you're one of those guys who knows only one position for the engine telegraph, Full Ahead - Flank Speed. You will heel; best wishes for a speedy recovery, and listen to the care givers!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S